Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The current season?

Liked

The current season?

Has the effect of the enforcement of the 49% foreign ownership rule resulted in a downturn in the tourist industry in Pattaya/Jomtien? I suppose current local owners (not within the 49% deemed) who wish to sell are restricted in whom they can sell to.

Where for example will you find thousands of Thais with enough cash to buy in Ocean Tower (or whatever it is going to be called).

Or is the downturn if it is a downturn to do with the climate developing under the current unelected regime

By way of interest here are some photos of a random day last week at Talay Jomtien Empty pretty much. All the local masseurs and merchants complaining MUCH more than usual.

Is this current season going to be a flop?

Anakot

Attached Images Attached Images

evitably ...

because of the credit crunch in the USA, there is a fallout all over the world, the UK has started already, albeit not as much as the US I think. However, the days of easy money are over, and I suspect a lot of easy money is funding a lot of property in the world, in this case, Thailand. Even though people have got money, they tend to borrow money to fund a house. The banks have tightened up now and "easy money" is basically out of the window. Thailand will be affected by this I bet.

You don't really have to buy into a condo to visit Thailand.

I'll be in other parts of the world (N.America / East Asia) this Yuletide. I didn't include Thailand in my plans this year as when I booked my trip the political situation was looking unstable. Maybe things will clear up after the elections but I'm not betting.

Liked: 1
    The tourist industry is dying out in Thailand because of bad publicity in the west of the current government policy of Falang unfriendly. They want our money but they don't really want us.

I am not talking about the Thai people in general who are very falang friendly but the rulers and ruling class. The Thai people will suffer with the downturn in tourists as more and more say well fuck you I will go where I and my money am more welcome. Sad but true.
    Don't try to hold in farts - they travel up your spine and into your brain and that is where shitty ideas come from.

Liked
    I planned my visit in January this year so I can go after the election. Hopefully things will be ok. I try to ignore the government stuff and media and just enjoy the people which I always find easy to do in Thailand.

Can anyone comment on how the season is in BKK? Do the bars have many customers outside the weekend? Any new bars? Any new recommendations? I will try to sample as many massage places and bars as I can and provide some reports when I return.
    If you burn your neighbors house down, it doesn't make your house look any better. - Lou Holtz

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by allieb
    The tourist industry is dying out in Thailand
    older western gay sex tourist numbers may be declining but I don't think you will find much general evidence to support for your statement

bkkguy
    I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!

while it may not be literally "dying out", i certainly do think it is on the decline--do you trust the tourist numbers of the Thai govt? Also, thailand has some increased numbers of chinese, eastern european/russian tourists that often are part of those cheapie tours that inflate numbers of people coming in but really little financial boost to the thai economy,

the thai govt does seem to foolishly create policies that discourage farang and farang investment--many more companies are investing in india, vietnam, china, etc now.

Also, as someone said, the hotel assoc raising the rates so they, too, can attract the high end customers as if that's all they need to do, charge more. they call themselves a beach resort, but do not have any beaches in pattaya that most would feel comfortable swimming in--where do you think all the waste products from all the hotels/condos, etc gin towon go--and out jomtien way, with all the view talays and the other condos and new ocean tower--there are sufficient waste treatment facilities for all that? there are not sufficient waste treatment facilities for what they have now.

if you have thai friends who have almost any kind of business, you will hear them complain--it is not only the old gay sex tourist business that is suffering!

it surely isnt all that bad

Don't you also think that as the world opens up, and ease of travel to countries previously difficult to get to, or previously with a very limited tourist infrastructure, many people are just trying other destinations now. I don't think it means they have turned their backs on Thailand. People just like to try new places as they become accessible.

I really don't think Thai government policy has an adverse effect on the majority of tourists. I never before heard anyone saying they wouldn't go to Thailand due to political instability. I also don't see much negative publicity in Europe about any so-called anti-farang policies - we should remember that for the majority of tourists the Thai Govt issues FREE 30 day visas on arrival! Investment/residence visas/work permits issues facing other farangs, are entirely separate areas and irrelevant to the tourist who flies in for a few weeks holiday.

I have just returned from another trip to Thailand and I really didn't see/feel a massive drop in tourist numbers - even the hotels I stayed in were very busy. I also have to say the week I spent going to Jomtien Beach didn't particularly feel empty.

Economically the current Thai govt must be doing something right, political/electoral issues aside:

Exports, the main driver of the Thai economy, jumped 27.9 percent to a record 14.5 billion dollars.

see: http://www.forbes.com/markets/feeds/afx ... 89969.html

Funny how things can look different from different parts of the world.
    Maybe Scandinavians are different, but there have never been more people from this part of the world visiting Thailand. All flights are almost sold out during the high season, both scheduled and charter flights. Finnair have to increase into 2 flights a day during this season. Tour agencies who normally only make fly/hotel (charter) during the high season, have to make agreement with the hotels for the low season too, or else the rooms will be sold to others.

I was in Thailand October 24-November 12
    I know it is just before the high season, but in Bangkok it was almost impossible to get the hotels I wanted. Silom Soi 2 and 4 as funny and busy as ever. Pattaya oh well, I have only been there one time in the real high season many years ago, but now always in May or October, same, same. Not so much business in Boiztown and Sunee, but the same as last time. Although the pedestrian street and Beach road were full of farangs. My hotel almost full.
    Koh Samet same, more quiet in weekdays, busy in weekends. Chiang Mai, could not see any differ.

I doubt "normal" tourist care about how easy it is for farangs to run business because of the government and the law. They look at the friendlines of the people, if there is unrest (maybe) and how much value you get for your money. For Scandinavians Thailand is still a bargain compared to Europe and Canary Islands. In fact I think the exchange rate, from Danish Kroner, has never been better in the last 10 years.

Just my opinion.

I ask my Thai friend in Pattaya busy or not. Looks busy for him ! :clown:

Soon i let him flight to Phuket ! But he has problem i love him to much. Hummmmmmmm yes his problem ! :bigsmurf: