Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tawan query

Liked

Tawan query

On a recent visit to Tawan in Bangkok, I was struck by the longevity of the katoey "entertainer" who usually (always?) kicks off the shows.

The performance appears to be totally incongruous with both the pace and the content of the rest of Tawan's entertainment package - and it is hard to believe that a canny entrepreneur like Tawan's owner must be can consider that it contributes to drawing in an audience (apart, possibly, out of sympathy).

So I wondered whether there is a story here. Is the lugubrious katoey the owner himself? One of his relatives? His partner? One of his ex-boyfriends from years ago who has since fallen on hard times and has been given the job for old time's sake?

Or maybe she's not a katoey at all, but the owner's mother???!!!

"The fruits of peace and tranquility... are the greatest goods... while those of its opposite, strife, are unbearable evils. Hence we ought to wish for peace, to seek it if we do not already have it, to conserve it once it is attained, and to repel with all our strength the strife which is opposed to it. To this end individual[s]... and in even greater degree groups and communities are obliged to help one another... from the bond or law of human society." [Marsilio dei Mainardini (c.1275-1342), Defensor Pacis]

best Books shop

Greetings to all.

Prompt the best online shop on sale of Books.

Liked

Re: Tawan query

I went to Tawan with some friends who had never been before. We sat and waited for the show. The show had 3 short skits and one was sexy and then the lights were turned up and that was that and I think our bill was 250b per drink. I also remember my new friends asking me why so many fat guys were on the stage.

I didn't return to Tawan during my time in Bangkok.

I decided that if I would go to a gogo bar to see the shows, I would wait for a Friday or Saturday to see a good show and on the weekdays I would go to other places where I could flirt. Mostly a spa or the kick-boxing shows in Pattaya..... One kick boxer flirted with me but I was not prepared for his actions and blew it. I never did hook-up with a kick-boxer but I had fun flirting and the night was cheaper than if I was in a gay-bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Marsilius
    On a recent visit to Tawan in Bangkok, I was struck by the longevity of the katoey "entertainer" who usually (always?) kicks off the shows.

The performance appears to be totally incongruous with both the pace and the content of the rest of Tawan's entertainment package - and it is hard to believe that a canny entrepreneur like Tawan's owner must be can consider that it contributes to drawing in an audience (apart, possibly, out of sympathy).

So I wondered whether there is a story here. Is the lugubrious katoey the owner himself? One of his relatives? His partner? One of his ex-boyfriends from years ago who has since fallen on hard times and has been given the job for old time's sake?

Or maybe she's not a katoey at all, but the owner's mother???!!!
    These are the good'ol days

I once went into Tawan with a Thai friend - he had begged me to take him there having heard so much about Tawan but never plucked up the courage to go by himself - and when the show started up he translated the announcement for me. It seems the middle-aged woman was a very well known traditional dancer in her day, some kind of living national treasure. Of course, this does not even begin to answer the question of what she's doing in the show. My friend and I joked that she was probably the owner's aunt and there was absolutely no way he could fire her. We laughed so loudly between us, she got quite cross. I felt so bad for her.

Liked
    It seems the middle-aged woman was a very well known traditional dancer in her day, some kind of living national treasure.
    Middle-aged? She's got to be well over 70.
    E Dok Tong

Gosh! It never occurred to me that she was a woman of the 1st degree.

I don't mind her as she does what she does very well and it's not too long. Quite why he puts on lip synching katoeys of modest talent regularly as part of the show, I have no idea. This is the one bar where none of the audience are at all interested in such though the boys seem to find them amusing.

Like several bars around Bangkok they seem to have given up on performance shows in favour of erections.

Quote Originally Posted by wowpow
    Like several bars around Bangkok they seem to have given up on performance shows in favour of erections.
    Good they've discovered the wisdom of going back to basics.

That said, even showing erections require some stage falir. Very few bars manage to do it right. Most go for volume - big c**k show with over 20 boys on the runway; soapy show with mechanical moves... But there was one bar - I think it was Future Boys a year or two ago - which managed to put on a lovely number, very romantic, with excellent choice of music, dimmed lighting, mosquito net, much mouth-to-mouth kissing, and generally very believable as a scene of making LOVE.

I doubt if the boys of Tawan have either the acting skills or the inclination to kiss, to doing anything remotely similar. There, I suspect we'll stay with muscular gorilla poses.... not that I'm complaining either. It works for me too, only that it gets a bit boring after a while. But give me that anytime over ladyboy acts.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

the lady-boy curse...

Farangs have brought the curse of the lady-boy and kateoy shows upon themselves..

Ancient Brits, in their late 60's and especially in their 70's or even older, think of gay shows as drag shows..
    They brought this mentality with them to Thailand and when they owned the show bar, their mindset was
    drag queens, lady-boys, and even in their wheelchairs and using walkers, they continue to get dressed up
    and made up and love the stage..

These hideous old drag queens ruled the gay show world for decades and standardized the horrors we see..

The other Europeans and Americans/Aussies etc. are not immune to the blame, but it seems to me, it is a
    particularly British thing and there is nothing like a group of prissy over the hills queens, pinkies out drinking
    their tea, and with closets full of gowns and wigs etc. As they die off or retire, there is a chance to redeem the
    gay show world and try to convince the bar owners, Thai and farang, that the world has moved on and it is long
    past time to change the shows and end the lady-boy curse inflicted upon us by ancient men who wanted to be women.. :cat:

Liked
    I couldn't agree with your well expressed view more, catawampuscat.
    "The fruits of peace and tranquility... are the greatest goods... while those of its opposite, strife, are unbearable evils. Hence we ought to wish for peace, to seek it if we do not already have it, to conserve it once it is attained, and to repel with all our strength the strife which is opposed to it. To this end individual[s]... and in even greater degree groups and communities are obliged to help one another... from the bond or law of human society." [Marsilio dei Mainardini (c.1275-1342), Defensor Pacis]

Re: the lady-boy curse...

Quote Originally Posted by catawampuscat
    Farangs have brought the curse of the lady-boy and kateoy shows upon themselves..

Ancient Brits, in their late 60's and especially in their 70's or even older, think of gay shows as drag shows..
    They brought this mentality with them to Thailand and when they owned the show bar, their mindset was
    drag queens, lady-boys, and even in their wheelchairs and using walkers, they continue to get dressed up
    and made up and love the stage..

These hideous old drag queens ruled the gay show world for decades and standardized the horrors we see..

The other Europeans and Americans/Aussies etc. are not immune to the blame, but it seems to me, it is a
    particularly British thing and there is nothing like a group of prissy over the hills queens, pinkies out drinking
    their tea, and with closets full of gowns and wigs etc. As they die off or retire, there is a chance to redeem the
    gay show world and try to convince the bar owners, Thai and farang, that the world has moved on and it is long
    past time to change the shows and end the lady-boy curse inflicted upon us by ancient men who wanted to be women.. :cat:

Fantastic!

Now have twenty thousand flyers printed off and posted out to, with the exact information contained above , to every venue in Thailand and the UK