Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: host bar v. go-go bar?

host bar v. go-go bar?

I apologize if this has been addressed before on this site. I tried to search but with more than 100 pages of posts to wade through, my head exploded.

So...the question is...what is the difference, if any, between a host bar and a go-go bar? Is it a matter of one being a place with guys in underwear with numbers "dancing" and a place with guys in underwear and numbers *not* dancing?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: host bar v. go-go bar?

clawdaddy..you're pretty close, except the boys who work in the host bars are usually fully clothed.

Host bars are almost always open-air with an arrangement of seats sitting at the streets edge, with most of the boys dressed in street clothes and waiting on tables. Some people find this to be a more relaxed environment for meeting a boy.

Don't ever spend that amount of time searching for information...just ask and you will receive.

thanks dodger...

Are the "hosts" at the bar theoretically emplyees of the bar? i.e. do you "off" them for a fee - or are they freelancers with no payoff to the house?

Liked

Host bars

In Pattaya and Chiang Mai host bars are open-air but not in Bangkok. In Bangkok there are host bars in Saphan Kway, Sukhumwit, Silom (but very few ; only My Way comes to mind) and some other remote places like Bangkapi, Laksi and Klong Tan.
    More on my blog at : llz.blogspot.com

Liked

Are the "hosts" at the bar theoretically emplyees of the bar? i.e. do you "off" them for a fee?

In Pattaya, yes. Maybe different in Chiang Mai.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Host Boys

clawdaddy...

Host boys are employed by the bar and usually work for a small monthly salary plus tips. Host boys make most of their money by going "off" which is also what the bar is counting on. The term "bar fine" has it's root in this working relationship, as the boy must pay a fine to his employer for the time he is absent from work. The Bar fine (or, off fee) is usually around 300-400 baht.

It's not uncommon for a farang to link up with a host boy for longer periods of time in which case the amount of bar fine can be negotiated. In-other-words, if you wanted to off a boy from a host bar for 5 days and the daily bar fine is 400 baht (2,000 bt total), you may be able to negotiate a lower rate of about 1,500 baht. The amount of flexibility that the mamasan has during these negotiations depends largly on how busy they are and the popularity of the boy you're offing.

You tip a gogo boy and a host boy the same amount. The average tip for a short time is 1,000 baht and an overnight stay is 1,500-2,000.

The only difference between a gogo boy and a host boy is that one works in underpants and serves smiles - and the other works in blue jeans and serves drinks.

thanks again

Thank you again to all who replied. I am really glad I found this forum - there are so many questions that Frommer's and Lonely Planet don't seem to anticipate!

Forum's veteran
    Liked

host vs gogo

I find I can only stay for a drink or two at a gogo bar. They get really old when in Pattaya with all the pressure to "off".
    I find host bars more pleasurable and comfortable. You get to see what clothes they wear which may I find out more of their situation and personality. Also the fun on "christmas unwrapping"
    Some bars will have movies, pool table, dining, or karaoke for entertainment

Beware

If your the thrifty sort, beware tips quoted in this thread are mostly over the norm. If your wealthy or even semi-wealthy, go ahead and be a big spender. Personally I pay well for GOOD service and keep it to a bare minimum for poor.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

over the norm

no, 1000 bT short time 1500-2000 bT for long time are no way over the norm for non stingy tourists. wouldn't even try 1000 bT for a boy from Silom.

Expatriates living on a pension or earnings there tend to get "thrifty", as they call it.