Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bangkok's Balcony Pub Best says BK Magazine

Bangkok's Balcony Pub Best says BK Magazine

Last night (18 October) BK Magazine held its ReaderтАЩs Choice Awards тАШ07 тАУ an annual event in which readers of the magazine vote for their favourite venues in Bangkok. Amongst a long, star-studded list of venues and awards, such as: тАШFavorite hotel for Dining & Wining тАж winner ~ The OrientalтАЩ and тАШFavorite Spa тАж winner ~ Devarana Spa at Dusit ThaniтАЩ; in the Nightlife Section was:

тАШFavorite Gay Hangout тАж

Winner ~ The Balcony!!!

We are deeply honoured by this prestigious award from the readers of the magazine and trust that you too, as regular guests of The Balcony, will feel equally as proud as we are. It is a tribute to you for being part of the atmosphere of The Balcony as well as a great compliment to our staff. Thank you to everyone who voted for us.

www.balconypub.com

Liked
    The November issue of Spice has an interesting article on the history of Silom Soi 4 including the Balcony from the 50's to present.
    E Dok Tong

Bangkok Silom Soi 4, The Spinx

I never liked the Balkony Bar in Bangkok. I always found the place just pathetic. Food is just lousy, mainly junk just liked by foreigners.

Since R. any Y. turned away from Telephone Bar, this place went down too.

Both places do have there number of regular hustlers, and do cater mostly the same typical Western crowd who is running up and down the stairs at Babylon sauna all afternoon and early evening.

Regarding style, service, food and drinks it's hard to beat the Spinx bar & restaurant, just a few steps further into the same Soi as Balcony and Telephone.

Re: Bangkok's Balcony Pub Best says BK Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by wowpow-beta
    Last night (18 October) BK Magazine held its ReaderтАЩs Choice Awards тАШ07 тАУ an annual event in which readers of the magazine vote for their favourite venues in Bangkok... Favorite Gay Hangout тАж Winner ~ The Balcony!!!
    Some people are easily pleased. On the other hand, I wonder how much effort was involved in being a "voting reader"

Its just good PR

It's a bit like the television awards in the UK, Eastenders was way down low in the viewer ratings, so on the award show it won best soap of the year, one year. Then what happens, is everyone watches the programme. Its just PR.

Liked
    I gave up going to the Balcony a few years back. I used to like the place and every now and then go back and confirm that I still don't like it. The food is not very good and mixed drinks are small and watered down. The chairs and tables are too small and the waiters too busy toutin for customers to wait on tables. Inside is not comfortable either and money-boys are most always present.

The outside seating is plagued by competing loud music by next door and across the street. The resulting noise is nerve damage.

It's a little strange to be sitting at the Balcony where the view is the Telephone where they in turn sit and watch you.

My vote is for Dick's Cafe.
    E Dok Tong

Well done Balcony.
    I expect you will be getting lots of messages of congratulation from other bar owners and I'm told that a bouquet has been ordered by Richard & Jim in Soi 2/1. Oh yes .... that pair are so happy for you. ain10:

Dear Guys,

They do work bloody hard to think of new ideas and hold standards.

That is all three of them, especially Start, who never stops!

Well done guys!

Spinx, Dick's Cafe & Balls Sports bar

Quote Originally Posted by TrongpaiExpat
    I gave up going to the Balcony a few years back. I used to like the place and every now and then go back and confirm that I still don't like it. The food is not very good and mixed drinks are small and watered down. The chairs and tables are too small and the waiters too busy toutin for customers to wait on tables. Inside is not comfortable either and money-boys are most always present.

The outside seating is plagued by competing loud music by next door and across the street. The resulting noise is nerve damage.

It's a little strange to be sitting at the Balcony where the view is the Telephone where they in turn sit and watch you.

My vote is for Dick's Cafe.
    Agree 100 %:

Could have excactly been my comment !

The Sphinx for Silom Soi 4 area, Dick's Caf├й and probably Balls Sports bar for Soi Twilight

Forum's veteran
    Liked

awwww

Quote Originally Posted by TrongpaiExpat
    The November issue of Spice has an interesting article on the history of Silom Soi 4 including the Balcony from the 50's to present.
    still trying to find the article online. love reading about the early history (50's?)
    of gay bangkok

always like to stop by the Balcony for a kamakazi
    and to be ignored by Sit