Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: TRAVELLING FROM BANGKOK TO SAMUI

TRAVELLING FROM BANGKOK TO SAMUI

Hi we are travelling to thaialnd in March. Trying to work out how to gte from Bangkok to Samui cheaply, if anyone has any suggestions that would be of great help!

Also where are the best bars for lesbians to go to?

cheers

I am doing a similar trip in April. I have found that Bangkok Air fare for 1 hr flight from Bangkok to Samui is 2000 baht or about 50 USD.

www.bangkokair.com/?lang=en

I am sure one of our other members may be able to recommend train or bus transport for less.

Sorry, I can't help on the bar.

Bangkok Air

They own Samui Airport and have a monopoly on flights there. If you travel at 06.00 hrs or 21.00hrs you can get the one way Bt2000 + insurance and fuel surcharges = Bt 2430. There are lots of flights and the peak price is Bt3910 inc surcharges.

They market themselves as a boutique airline and prices are highish but so are standards of service.

Bars http://www.dreadedned.com/directory/qui ... e=6&Area=0 for gay but lesbian I don't know.

Liked
    Bangkok Airways flies to Samui from Don Muang a number of times daily.

At Bangkok Airways website plugged in the dates March 16 - 25 and came up with this as the cheapest flight:

Probably the cheapest way to get there is by bus (aircon) or train (1st [night] or 2nd [day] class) to Surat Thani, then the ferry across to Koh Samui.
    If you take a VERY early bus from Sai Tai Bus Terminal in Bangkok (Thonburi) you might get to Surat Thani late in the afternoon with enough time to get over to Samui. If not, then a hotel in Surat Thani over night would probably be necessary. The night train would probably be the best bet from Bangkok as you could sleep on the train and take the morning ferry to Samui ~ saving the hotel cost.

Appears like the earliest train leaves at 7:45AM and takes about 9 hrs to Surat. After that you'd have to get to the ferry. I believe that there is an inclusive train ticket to Samui (i.e. including the ferry fare to Samui), and I think the same goes for the bus. You'd have to check this out further. First class sleeper ticket on the train is 1179 baht one way, and around half that for the day train ticket (air con).

Train scheduale from Bangkok to Surat Thani:

The Surat Thani/Koh Samui ferry scheduales can be found here: http://www.travelconnecxion.com/index.cfm?menuid=125

Appears as though neither Wowpow nor myself are up on our lesbian bars. But there's a lesbian named "Pearl" on this Board who could probably help.

Cheers ...
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Liked

Re: TRAVELLING FROM BANGKOK TO SAMUI

Quote Originally Posted by gabbyc
    Hi we are travelling to thaialnd in March. Trying to work out how to gte from Bangkok to Samui cheaply, if anyone has any suggestions that would be of great help!

Also where are the best bars for lesbians to go to?

cheers
    cut and paste from www.gaykohsamui.net

Getting to Koh Samui and Away
    Air Bangkok Airways has frequent daily flights between Samui, Bangkok, Phuket, Krabi and one daily flight from/to Singapore. Direct services to Kualu Lumpur, Malaysia and Hong Kong planned to commence mid 2005.

Samui Airport exit tax for domestic flights 400 baht for domestic flights and 500 baht for international and international transfer flights.

Thai Airways fly from all major airports to Suratthani - requires ferry crossing.

Train A train service runs between Bangkok and Samui via Suratthani - requires ferry crossing.

Bus There are a number of Bus services from Bangkok, Phuket via Suratthani - also requires ferry crossing.

Car Self Drive to and Samui via hourly passenger/vehicular ferry services. There is a good highway and expressway road system on the mainland leading to all major destinations. Major Vehicle hire companies and small family businesses abound on Samui.

Boat Raja Ferrys and Seatran Ferrys offer a range of crossings to and from Samui to Koh Phangan and Suratthani. Vehicular ferries take about 1.5 hours to make the crossing between Samui and Donsak (about 40 minutes drive away from Suratthani). Smaller passenger only express services make the trip in about 45 minutes

The only bar that lesbians would be interested in is Amsterdam, there was a thread about 6 weeks ago on that.
    Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves

Liked

full moon and half moon parties

Phone call from a local who read my post, suggesting that you consider the full moon and half moon parties

He stayed at a modest hotel called The Wave and they have booking service for tickets for both

Wave is gay managed, back packer crowd located between Amsterdam and night plaza

http://www.thewavesamui.com/

read the getting here feature, on the Wave web site
    Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves

Smiles!

Wow! Smiles thats a very informative reply.
    I hope Gabbyc appreciates the effort you put in there!
    What a helpful board this can be at times. :cheers:

Liked
    Thanks Iwan, nice comment to make.
    I think everyone responding to this topic has been most helpful.

Cheers ...
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Liked

Time Vs. Money.

I you have time, take the coach (or train), the ferry then walk.

If you have not so much time, fly! (considered the relative cost to us, of flying to this Caucasian enclave in Thailand).

If you have lots of time : hitch-hike, or even cycle

This is my suggestionтАж