Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: He's NUTS - Prescription Shipping Advice Sought

He's NUTS - Prescription Shipping Advice Sought

My friend and his partner departed Texas yesterday for 6 months in Pattaya. They have already reserved a townhouse south of Jomtien and are on 2 entry tourist visa (will renew through "visa run" in 3 mos through Laos). They are coming to Thailand to make a final decision whether to retire here or not. His partner has a problem with needing a supply of "prescriptions" that are not specifically available in Thailand.

They got a big surprise the other day. When they went to his pharmacy to get what they thought was going to be a 6 month "vacation" supply he was told something was mistaken and he could only get a 3 month supply from the insurance company. They said he was already "especially lucky" as they usually only give 30-day up to 60-day vacation supplies.

His pharmacist said he could send the other 3 months supply anywhere (in 3 more months, of course) by courier. Their experience with this, however, is usually to Europe or south-of- the-border travellers needing heart medicine and they have little experience sending to other continents or these particular prescriptions.

The insurance company said, well, they've heard of pharmacies sending vacation supply "renewals" overseas to their insured before, it can happen. But they were again warned that once the prescriptions leave the pharmacy, if any of these get lost, stolen (or refused, ...) then it's the insured's loss!

I think he's NUTS to do this. The thought of an emergency run back home at high ticket price to pay for these on your own a day before the mistakenly lost package FINALLY arrived is very depressing.

Ignoring, for now, issues for them to deal with after they decide to retire here, I wonder if anyone can comment. You could be taking a 5-month round-the-world trip and sending express to a hotel in Delhi. You could have lost an adequate supply brought with you or had them stolen in mid-trip.

Are there any international conventions for tourists travelling and in need of, say, heart medicine only available to obtain directly from their home countries as to acceptance and duty? Of course most travellers don't have prescription coverage outside the US, anyway, so couls save lots of money renewing it by courier from the home country.

I have been looking up travel insurances online lately and don't see how any of these expensive prescriptions (replacement costs) could be covered and for 6 months.

He has good insurance/prescription coverage, which has a high monthly premium but very low co-pay. If duty was due, then would it be on the invoiced co-pay? The partner WOULD go broke paying 35% duty on the actual (replacement} cost of these. Are prescription medicines duty free?

(He's liable to be around for a long time - no specific medical needs are forecast.)

I'm not looking for anyone's long-term secrets, hints on hospitals, just the one-time case of tourist travel going over the "vacation supply." Best couriers to use from the US to here? Best couriers's with tracking and support IN the other country to limit worry? How should inexperienced persons at the pharmacy be asked to fill out paperwork to Asia, particularly here (invoiced value, insured value, customs declared value, ... )?

Personally I have had bad experiences with having anything shipped here, and have limited myself to baggage only..

Any advice, just "been done before to here or there", appreciated.

Liked
    I think DHL is the best courier service available in this part of the world. I've used them in several countries and never had a problem with things sent going missing. I think both UPS and Fedex are available in Pattaya and really the likelihood of something being lost is minimal.

The next issue, however, is customs. It's difficult to predict how customs are likely to regard a hefty package of drugs.

I find it hard to believe that the medicine is unavailable here in one form or another. A visit to a cardiologist at Bangkok Hospital Pattaya might be useful to be certain about that. I use Dr. Kitti Tirawanichkul. You could email him ahead of time to explain the situation and ask his advice on the availability of the drug needed, at least as an emergency back-up.

Here's his information and an email address: http://www.pattayaheartcenter.com/do...ew.php?did=277

Bangkok Pattaya Hospital also claims to provide "World-wide Insurance Assistance." Maybe they have some way of using your friend's insurance coverage to provide medicince ... this is speculation only. http://www.bph.co.th/pages/main.php

BUPA also offers short-term expat insurance for visitors to Thailand up to 6 months. Don't know how it would deal with on-going, pre-existing conditions, but here's their website.

http://www.privatehealth.co.uk/healt...a-thailand-100

Quote Originally Posted by x in pattaya
    I find it hard to believe that the medicine is unavailable here in one form or another. A visit to a cardiologist at Bangkok Hospital Pattaya might be useful to be certain about that. I use Dr. Kitti Tirawanichkul. You could email him ahead of time to explain the situation and ask his advice on the availability of the drug needed, at least as an emergency back-up.

Here's his information and an email address: http://www.pattayaheartcenter.com/do...ew.php?did=277
    Sound advice. I also find it very hard to believe that heart drugs are not available in Thailand through a reputable hospital or heart centre. However, I would avoid getting drugs through a less reputable source or using generic drugs which may not be manufactured to the same standard as the real thing. Suggest he get a copy of his prescription and send it to Dr. Kitti and ask for advice in advance of traveling.

I too have heard of some devastating experiences with missing/lost/stolen packages and I would certainly not consider sending anything which involves the Thai postal 'service'. DHL and FedEx are usually reliable although an expat friend of mine living in BKK did lose quite a valuable item which was sent by DHL - they coughed up with insurance but the item was of a personal nature and it's loss was irreplaceable.

Khun X has also made another good point about Thai customs. Sending drugs, even if they are for legitimate medical reasons, is sure to attract their attention and they are also likely to be very heavily taxed on importation.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

surely you can get whatever drug

you need in Thailand ?...especially if you are in a big centre like Pattaya or Bangkok. I mean it's not a backwater and if your friend's health is a bit dodgy he should register with a local medico .

People have heart attacks in Thailand too ! ( and survive)
    I'm only a light drinker. When it's daylight I drink.

Has he called Bumrungrad? They usually have everything but sometimes its even more expensive than US prices.

Liked

DHL

I have been using DHL for years and No problems at all. I have my doctors Email and if there is anything I need he calls it in and its shipped to me VIA DHL. I get it in about 7 days and life I hope goes on. I have been Here out of the states for ten years now. I have never had a problem and this is not the kind of place you want to trust things to a local for the most part.

Wesley
    All the Best!

Wes

Liked
    this is not the kind of place you want to trust things to a local for the most part
    Just to clarify for those of you who haven't downloaded Wes' biography yet, he's not referring to Thailand. As I recall, he's currently in the wilds of Bayonne, New Jersey. :drunken:

Liked

I would never be caugt iin New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by x in pattaya
    this is not the kind of place you want to trust things to a local for the most part
    Just to clarify for those of you who haven't downloaded Wes' biography yet, he's not referring to Thailand. As I recall, he's currently in the wilds of Bayonne, New Jersey. :drunken:
    I am somewhere in the Steep, it is wild and I love it. It is not a biography , I didn't mention all of the 4 year guys that would end up explaining another 16 years of my life.

Wesley
    All the Best!

Wes

Liked
    I am somewhere in the Steep, it is wild and I love it.
    Bayonne has steeps? I thought they were Steppes. Surely Frank Sinatra would know if it's in Jersey.

Liked

I stand corrected

I just didn't look after spell check, It is the Steppes!

Thanks for your kind attention to detail! :drunken:

Wesley
    All the Best!

Wes