Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gift of Life

Liked

Gift of Life

Often I see questions as to what gift to give a Thai bf. Consider giving your bf and yourself vaccinations for Hepatitis A and Hepatitis B. Hep A is very contagious although not necessarily life threating however Hep B is one of the leading causes of liver cancer especially in Asia. It seems that Hep B is far more prevalent in Asia then in Europe or North America and is transmitted through contact with blood of an infected person. Hep A requires two shots and is readily available and inexpensive at most clinics in Thailand. Hep B vaccination requires three shots and is more expensive and not as readily found so best to go to a hospital. Unfortunately there is no vaccination for Hep C which is also a leading cause of liver disease. These are simple measures that could save suffering or your life.

Bonne idee Francois!

Another thought is to buy your BF medical insurance. There are a couple of good plans (BUPA, Happy, etc.) and they are very affordable.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

another good idea...

I agree. The Hep A and Hep B vaccines should be taken by every farang who comes to Thailand.
    You get get Hep from eating shellfish or any food if the handlers haven't washed their hands after
    using the toilet and other ways like rimming.

I took the full series of Hep A and B vacccines before my first trip as I knew I would be at risk.
    You have to space out the vaccines and I recall Hep B was a series of three shots and Hep A two but
    you need to verify that and that the time space between shots was several months (3-6) but again I don't recall.
    I had them done at a public health clinic in the USA at no cost and it was at a time when they were
    reaching out to the gay community.

Your Thai friend may have already been exposed to Hep A and/or B and will need a blood test to make sure.

Another good idea is to bring the boy/man to the dentist, if only for a checkup and a cleaning/scaling. It may be
    his first time and you can do a good deed for very little money. Now, if he needs braces, run for the hills. :cat:

Re: another good idea...

Quote Originally Posted by catawampuscat
    I I took the full series of Hep A and B vacccines before my first trip as I knew I would be at risk.
    You have to space out the vaccines and I recall Hep B was a series of three shots and Hep A two but
    you need to verify that and that the time space between shots was several months (3-6) but again I don't recall.
    I had them done at a public health clinic in the USA at no cost and it was at a time when they were
    reaching out to the gay community.
    Agree about the getting the Hep A/B vaccinations, but really ALL gay guys should have them regardless of whether they go to Thailand or not. It seems that some people have the idea that Thailand is rampant with every STI known to man, but think that they dont need to take the same precautions at home. Seems that the HIV rates in many western countries are increasing at significant rates, despite money being put into education programs there.

Hep A needs a booster shot after 10 years and Hep B after 5 or that was the case when I got mine. It's not a bad idea to make a note in your passport.

Others you should have are:

Polio - booster 10 years

Tetanus - booster 10 years

Typhoid - booster 3 years

Forum's veteran
    Liked

thphoid?

wow, didn't know about this one.
    Is it reccommended for SE Asia?

You can get the boys the vaccines, go to the dentist and still buy them the gold and mobiles.

Nobody wants vaccines or to go to the dentist but it is a way to gain merit and maybe some
    good karma. Surprised that bg and jb both took the cheap shot when francois came up with
    a good idea and sometimes adults have to take care and do what is best for the health of
    those they care about.
    :cat:

Sigh.

We thoroughly understand the value of vaccines and dental care.

It is unlikely though, that your uneducated companions will understand or appreciate them as a "gift".

Do it for them, by all means. But don't expect them to appreciate it as much as a gold necklace or a mobile phone.

That's all that was meant.

Forum's veteran
    Liked
    sigh,
    of course everyone knows these things and of course everyone understands that francois meant gift as in gift of life, and
    in a different sense than a material gift. .... :cat:

Gift of Life

This is my first post and I expect it will be my last. I have been reading this board for some time now and am used to the styles of the regular correspondents. Generally they make for interest, but I have to say I've had enough of the boygeenyus character. Francois made a very worthwhile suggestion which I can support from experience. I have dragged a couple of the boys along to the hospital to organize their Hep A and Hep B shots and I pay another's annual medical insurance premium. (I will probably do it for others.) I can assure you they knew and valued what I was doing and would not have preferred that I give them a gold chain instead. Boygeenyus seems to think that cleverness with the waspish riposte or condescending rodomontade is an indication of intelligence; to me it is an indication of a smartarsed prick.

Well, in my opinion anyone who uses the word rodomontade is a white shoe-wearing, pedantic putz!