Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Dengue Fever war looms

Dengue Fever war looms

Dengue war looms - The Nation

Public Health Ministry provincial "war rooms" will destroy mosquito breeding areas on a weekly basis during the dengue-fever danger period. The disease has killed 10 this year and infected 10,000.

Public Health Ministry permanent secretary Dr Prat Boonyawongvirot yesterday visited a hill-tribe village in Mae Chan district of Chiang Rai where about 5 per cent of its 2,000 residents have been infected since January. Prat said officials fumigated 500 homes. Doctors will test residents over the coming two weeks.

Meanwhile, dozens of new cases are detected daily. Hospitals are offering free testing, he added. Nationally, 9,245 cases have been detected and 10 people have died since January. That is a 17 per cent increase in infections from the same period last year when nine people died.

Central provinces account for 40 per cent of infections followed by the South, with 25 per cent. In Bangkok, 1,612 cases and one death have been recorded. Pom Prab district is the worst with 60 infections for every 100,000 people.

Duangkamol Sajirawattanakul - The Nation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dengue_fever

Malaria is not the main mosquito born disease BBC

Wowpow, a reqest that I would like you to consider please

Wowpow, I am not one of those that is in the slightest bit bothered about the amount of cutting and pasting that you do in relation to news items. As someone that does not get the opportunity very often to glance through newspapers, your threads give me the chance to peruse any story that catches my interest.

That said, have you ever done a research as to how many of these posts of yours, are ones containing either some humour, or ones because of their content, are capable of giving most us the feel good factor? I say most of us, as I am well aware, that there are some miserable bastards here, that you couldn't make feel good no matter what you posted. No need for names, I think we all know who they are, don't we?

Seriously Wowpow, from these posts of yours that I am referring to, they are nearly all ones containing doom and gloom of some description or another. I googled for two minutes just prior to making this post, and got a breaking news story of the type I believe it would be good to see a bit more of, and which I will give the link to below.

I hope you will accept my criticism in the way it meant, which I am hoping is both constructive and fair. Or, alternatively, you can tell me to go forth and multiply and look for my own news items, which would for the record, probably only leave me getting my news by way of TV. So, carry on posting, which I am sure you will do anyway, but please kindly give a little consideration toward my request. Thank you.

Choc Dee,

G.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_new ... ?id=119216

CHIANG RAI MAE CHAN DISTRICT OUTBREAK
    160 in hospital with dengue fever
    SUBIN KHEUNKAEW - Bangkok Post

Chiang Rai _ An outbreak of dengue fever has hit a tambon in Mae Chan district where around 160 ethnic hilltribe villagers have been hospitalised with the illness. Doctors said blood tests had confirmed that the villagers from tambon Mae Rai were suffering from the mosquito-borne viral disease.

Seven critically ill patients have been transferred from the district hospital to the provincial hospital for treatment, while many new cases arrived with symptoms of the disease at the district hospital yesterday.

All 500 houses in the tambon were fogged with pesticide yesterday. Somchai Banchapol, a member of the tambon administration organisation blamed the rapid spread of the disease on poor awareness by the villagers. He said they were Akha people, who, he claimed, were mostly poor and illiterate.

''All families agreed to pay the TAO 30 baht each to buy pest killers.

''We sprayed the chemicals throughout the village at 3 o'clock this afternoon,'' said Mr Somchai. He said villagers have agreed to cooperate in a campaign to destroy the breeding grounds of mosquitoes, such as pools of stagnant water.

''Though a bit late, the people are now fully aware of the danger and doing all they can to prevent the situation from worsening,'' he said."

Bangkok Post

George - It's the Man bites dog syndrome. Imagine how depressing it would be if I included politics and the southern insurgency - see baht stop?

I for one appreciate what wowpow is doing, as it gives me a chance to be informed of some major issues about Thailand, news which I might not get otherwise. As for the doom and gloom bit, I guess it is unavoidable that there is such a slant so long as wowpow is cutting and pasting from newspapers, where 90% of the stuff is bad news of one kind or another. That said, I don't think wowpow's cuttings are particularly depressing. If we can survive the doom and gloom of our daily newspapers, we can survive all he has to offer. :naka:

Quote Originally Posted by wowpow
    Imagine how depressing it would be if I included politics and the southern insurgency - see baht stop?
    Some people do have a life. There is a lot more going on in the world (and Thailand) than your narrow and doom ridden cut and pastes interspersed with your fixation on steroid fueled muscle marys.