List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kalasin and Isarn - a dangerous place to drive?

Liked

Kalasin and Isarn - a dangerous place to drive?

From other threads I now know where Kalasin and other provinces in Isarn are. I also know places to visit and even better, reccomended places to stay.

I am worried about the standard of driving - I have driven for many yeras in Chonburi and Bangkok without incident but I am informed that Kalasin is just plain dangerous.

kquill is this true from your experience?

Being gay can be such a pain in the ass

Hi,

Absolutely and 100% not.

The Roads are good, a lot less traffic on them than Chonburi or Bangkok.

There can be a few roads short of overhead lighting that could do with improving in areas.

I definitely would say it is far safer driving up here if purely for the fact there are a lot less vehicles on the road.

I wouldn't worry.

I drive to Bangkok and Pattaya regularly, the hairy bit starts about 10-15 minutes near Laem Chabang!!

Deceased Member
    Liked
    And if you use the fast 313/304 roads from Pattaya up to Korat over the Korat Plateau BEWARE of the Highway Bandits (Police) who have many road checks and other ways of stopping you saying you are speeding just for being in the outside lane??? Fine 1000 baht at Station.... but if you want.......2/300 baht in hand. I have been stopped many times, three times in a one way trip recently, its as the bf says when we start out Petrol Money here, Road Police money there and he now lays it out in the car ready! Oh dont forget your driving licence and Passport and dont bother to argue it takes a lot longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Boxer
    And if you use the fast 313/304 roads from Pattaya up to Korat over the Korat Plateau BEWARE of the Highway Bandits (Police) who have many road checks and other ways of stopping you saying you are speeding just for being in the outside lane??? Fine 1000 baht at Station.... but if you want.......2/300 baht in hand. I have been stopped many times, three times in a one way trip recently, its as the bf says when we start out Petrol Money here, Road Police money there and he now lays it out in the car ready! Oh dont forget your driving licence and Passport and dont bother to argue it takes a lot longer.
    Fuck the cops. Tell them you'll take the ticket and see if they actually bother (likely they won't).

Boygeenyus,

Wrong there. They would want to take your passport and driving licence.

Your job to take the ticket to the cop shop and return back to them with proof of payment slip and then after fucking you around longer for not giving them the money in the first place, you will get your documents back.

I rarely get stopped.

However, the gentleman was asking about driving around Isaarn not going to and from.

That problem rarely occurs once you are up here, it is usually in the great state...KHORAT.

By the way, It is the job of Highway Police to determine these things, but I guarantee 99 times from 100 it will be the local Traffic police [ white hats with a red band] that stop you and fine you in an illegal roadblock, which is not their job!!!

But who is going to argue and win!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kquill
    I would. I refuse to be extorted. I have driven in this Kingdom for nearly 20 years and never once paid a bribe. I don't intend to start, either.

Quote Originally Posted by boygeenyus
    Quote Originally Posted by kquill
    I would. I refuse to be extorted. I have driven in this Kingdom for nearly 20 years and never once paid a bribe. I don't intend to start, either.
    Cleverer than I am.

DELETED

Issan Driving.

Totally agree with reason of paying fine 'in the hand'. It will take a long time to find and go to the Police Station although the fine may be incorrect the Police will take ages to get everything done.
    I have been travelling to Isaan for the past 6 years, sometimes once a month and have been stopped about 6 times. All were for being in the outside lane and they said that I was speeding.
    One time I was stopped at a road bloke on the top of the mountain before Korat and they could not find anything wrong so they made my boyfriend take a urine test for drugs, it proved OK but what waist of time and effort.
    Driving around Issan is much better than Pattaya / Chonburi. Theres a bit more road sense and far less traffic.
    Issan is very rural, you need to look out for the farm tractors etc more than motorbikes.
    I will be moving to the Khon Kaen area as soon as I can, that is a little to the west of Kalasin.

Best of luck,

There is plenty happening in Khonkaen!