Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The underlying coup agenda

The underlying coup agenda

Lest anyone doubt the complicity of the Palace in last year's coup, look no further than today's statement from the coup leader about the new constitution
    Council for National Security (CNS) chairman Gen Sonthi Boonyaratkalin yesterday called for the new charter to enhance the monarchy's honour, power and status. Addressing a seminar on the constitution and the nation's future, he said Thailand would remain under a constitutional monarchy, so the charter should uphold the institution better.

Gen Sonthi's remarks followed the emergence of video clips deemed insulting to the King on the YouTube website. Several messages also deemed offensive to the King were posted on the Time website as the magazine's readers voted for candidates in the ''Time 100'' poll. Gen Sonthi raised the issue regarding the monarchy after saying that certain charter improvements he had suggested had not been addressed by the Constitution Drafting Committee (CDC).

Article 8 of the draft, which was being released to the public, retains Article 8 of the 1997 constitution. It states that the King ''shall be enthroned in a position of revered worship and shall not be violated and that no person shall expose the King to any sort of accusation or action''.
    Democracy, anyone?
    http://www.bangkokpost.net/News/28Apr2007_news01.php

Liked: 1
    Let's see how sensitive the Thais are about the monarchy when the Prince (Sia O) takes the throne. The crown will have to confer one hell of a makeover.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maha_Vajiralongkorn

oops!

I know it is not polite to discuss such things as the monarchy, at least in terms of future monarchs. However, having spoken to a number of Thai's, I get the impression that whoever is thought to be in line for succession is not necessarily the one who will get it. I believe there to be a certain Princess waiting in the wings according to some. All said, deepest respect to his Majesty.

Liked

Beloved Princess

Yes, the Princess daughter is the person most Thais speak fondly of and it would be my guess that she would be very welcomed as the successor. About 10(?) years ago, a statute was passed that appeared to be laying the groundwork for the King to name his daughter as successor - the statute being passed at a time when the various transgressions of the Prince were fresher and more widely known. Yet, it seems that since early last year (with the somewhat royal blessing of the children of the current wife of the Prince), the pendulum is swinging toward the Crown Prince.

What's puzzling to me (but, of course, none of my business) is that the the Crown Prince has children by at least three different women (two of whom were wives). Based on what's happened since last June or so, it appears that only the Crown Prince's children by the current wife are now deemed succession material - a convenient but somewhat illogical (to me) step in any monarchy.

When the Princess' name comes up, Thais I've been around always express some form of admiration for her (she's widely known for her charitable and educational efforts). When the Prince's name comes up, there's either silence or a rather negative statement about him. If (Buddha forbid) something should happen to the King while the junta and interim government are in charge and if the Crown Prince became the next King, things could get very interesting.

Liked: 1
    Indeed, one of the theories regarding the reasons behind the coup is that it was Prem and the palace breaking up the cosy relationship between Thaksin and the Prince, thus restoring the Privy Council and the palace as the rightful arbiters of succession. This lends support to the idea that the likely successor may not be the Prince as assumed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hmmm
    Indeed, one of the theories regarding the reasons behind the coup is that it was Prem and the palace breaking up the cosy relationship between Thaksin and the Prince, thus restoring the Privy Council and the palace as the rightful arbiters of succession.
    It's more than just a theory.

As for succession, the people will not accept the Crown Prince as monarch, and the Prince's supporters (including the Queen) will not accept Princess Sirindhorn. Indeed, I think Sirindhorn's life would be in serious jeopardy in the unlikely event she was named to succeed the King.

Personally, I foresee the Crown Prince's infant child ascending the throne, with a regent hand-picked by the King making decisions until the child reaches majority.

Liked
    I think that Crown Prince Vajiralongkorn will be the next King and will spend the rest of his live paying homage to his father in monument after monument and photo op after photo op with his mother by his side. The Thai people will pay respect to him out of reverence to King Bhumibol. In essence, the King Bhumibol will be ruling from the grave.
    E Dok Tong

If Indeed.

If it hadn't have been for this and if it hadn't have been for that. And, if this were to happen this may mean that will happen! If your aunts would have had balls, they would have been your uncles. Whist all of your theories are somewhat interesting, I am certain that the next monach has already been chosen, has been informed by the King and knows exactly what their position is and will be.

As Bob has already pointed out though, Buddha forbid indeed, that anything should happen to his majesty whilst the junta and interim government are in charge. Now that would be scary and give us all some serious shit to post about.

G.

Re: If Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by George
    As Bob has already pointed out though, Buddha forbid indeed...
    Surely God has given up, or couldn't care less? If there's a God who permits the Virginia Tech "event", why would such a creature care for what happens to the King of Thailand? S/he certainly didn't protect the Romanovs

Re: If Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by homintern
    Quote Originally Posted by George
    As Bob has already pointed out though, Buddha forbid indeed...
    Surely God has given up, or couldn't care less? If there's a God who permits the Virginia Tech "event", why would such a creature care for what happens to the King of Thailand? S/he certainly didn't protect the Romanovs
    God? Who said anything about God?

G.