Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: should I go to Burma

Liked

should I go to Burma

I've been reading a history of Burma, "The River of Lost Footprints" by Thant Myint-U, the grandson of the UN SecGen, U Thant. It's made me very interested in visiting Burma for a while during my next trip but I am torn about the politics. Is it right to visit Burma now and even give the military government even that tiny bit of legitamacy?

Thoughts from the board?

Sanctions ...

... usually don't work, and particularly so against Burma. For reasons why, refer to this op-ed - http://www.michaelbackman.com/NewColumn.html

Liked
    I say if you want to go then go. Spend your money with small shops, guest houses etc, so that your money goes directly to the people that need it and stays out of govt hands.

Dboy

Liked
    was there in Dec..........quite depressing to see how the junta has screwed up everything. Even the Burmese people are not so friendly to foreigners as before..why? because everyone knows someone who is locked up for political reasons
    That was my second trip and I will not go back until there is a govt change

The Junta

Quote Originally Posted by yaraboy
    ...quite depressing to see how the junta has screwed up everything
    Thailand Burma, same same? HM The King is very pro-Burmese

Liked

interview with Thant Myint-U, "The River of Lost Footst

For goodness sake GO!

Weather you go or not won't make one bit of difference to the Generals that have been running the place since 1962. They dont give a hoot about the tourist dollar. As long as they have plenty of timber, gems, yabaa, meth and heroin to sell they'll stay in business.

On the other hand you will be amazed by this magnificent country and it might inspire you to tell others about it and try to get your government to actually pay attention to this place.

Forum's veteran
    Mount Calvary Baptist Church of the Redeemer
    Liked
    I'm disgusted with Britain. Rather than trying to suck up to the US by illegally invading Iraq, why doesn't it try to remove the oppressors from its former colonies in Burma and Zimbabwe? It's totally turned its back and walked out on both countries without so much as a backwards glance, while the ordinary people of these places sink further and further into hopelessness, poverty, abuse and despair. Shame on the UK.

Yes go to Burma and spend what money you have with the local non-elite. At least then you can directly support them against the tyranny of the murderous junta.
    JESUS LOVES YOU, yes, even you nancies

while the ordinary people ... sink further and further into hopelessness, poverty, abuse and despair.
    Now there's an argument for taking back the rebel American colonies. You know, you can get two of their dollars for a pound today.