Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Songkran ... Deaths as usual

Forum's veteran
    Liked: 1

Songkran ... Deaths as usual

The deputy director of the National Road Safety Centre said there were 435 accidents on Wednesday, killing 41 people and wounding 514 others. A third of the accidents were caused by drunk drivers, while speeding and cutting in too closely in front of other vehicles were also factors.

Some 85 per cent of accidents involved motorcycles and most took place on straight secondary roads between 4pm and 8pm.

Full Story from THE NATION

Quote Originally Posted by The Nation
    A third of the accidents were caused by drunk drivers,
    Way don't they get drunk more ? :drunken: Same me ! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: I never find my car, not even no what car i have ! :clown:

Police ban water throwing on Sukhumvit during Songkran holiday
    Set up roadblocks to test for drunk drivers
    Vimolrat Singnikorn - Pattaya Mail

Pattaya police are warning Songkran revelers to stay away from Sukhumvit Road during April 18 and 19, saying that water throwing will not be allowed there, in an attempt to reduce traffic congestion and road accidents.

Police have set up roadblocks throughout the city and will be checking for drunk drivers.

Traffic inspector Pol Maj Pitakpong Krongchon said that each year the traffic along Sukhumvit during Wan Lai becomes chaotic, all the way from Laem Chabang to Jomtien. This year, he said, the traffic police committee has decided there will not be any allowance for water players in trucks to drive on the Sukhumvit highway. People can still enjoy their water splashing in the city areas and sois.

Some roads that are normally two-way will be converted to a one-way traffic flow during this period, such as the Naklua Road and some sois in Banglamung.

PVC water pipes would not be allowed for spraying water this year, as there have been so many cases in past years in which reckless water players have sprayed water into the faces of motorcycle riders, causing accidents.

Somchai Wattana of the Chonburi Public Health Department said that in an effort to reduce the usually high accident toll over the holiday, there is a strategy within the province of imposing speed limits, checking for blood alcohol levels, ensuring seatbelts and safety helmets are worn, and spot-checking for driver licenses.

DELETED

Jinks!!!!

My heart did a leap! Yes thats horrible, but I immediately thought you were talking about a bomb blast, was that intentional?

Liked
    I am in Chiang Mai now and drinking and driving here seem to be literally drinking and driving at the same time. Young people,well under 18, on motorbikes with a bottle in one hand and it's not water. They drive right by the police who do not take notice.
    E Dok Tong

Forum's veteran
    Liked

trongpai

I have heard Chiang Mai is as wild as Pattaya during Songkran, maybe even crazier.

I hope you have the time and the interest to check out the boy bars in Chiang Mai and favour us
    with a report. Sawatdee Wan Pei Mai Krup :cheers: :cat:

Liked
    Sorry, Cat, no plans to go to any boy bars here in Chiang Mai. If I wanted to go, I would have to walk, the traffic is very heavy. The only bar I ever liked was Adam's Apple and now that's gone.

There are lots of cute gay wet boys on the streets.

If you don't like Songkran, don't come to Chiang Mai this time of year. There must have been a special on fire hoses.
    E Dok Tong

Fund for casualties!!

SONGKRAN ROAD TOLL - The Nation
    Casualties down on last year
    Drink-driving chiefly blamed again;victims' kin urged to take payments

"As Songkran festivities continue, the number of road-accident victims stands at 169 dead and 2,296 injured in the first three days of the holiday, the Road Safety Centre said yesterday. The road toll to date is down on that of 2006, Public Health Deputy Minister Dr Morakot Kornkasem said. Once again, drinking drivers are causing most accidents, he said.

Insurance Department director-general Chantra Buranarerk encouraged families of accident victims to seek initial payments from the victims' compensation fund. The fund pays actual expenses for injuries to a maximum of Bt15,000. Relatives of those killed in motor accidents receive Bt35,000. Compensation for victims hospitalised but later dying of injuries is a maximum of Bt50,000.
    She said once victims' relatives completed documentation they would receive payment within half an hour. More information is available on the department's 1186 hotline. The fund was set up by the Road Accident Victims Protection Act of 1997 and is paid for with third-party insurance premiums. All accident victims receive compensation.

The volume of prank and hoax calls to the ministry's emergency Narenthorn Centre is on the rise. Morakot said that since the festival started on Wednesday 2,153 prank calls had been fielded. Almost 900 bogus calls were made on Friday alone. Most come from public telephone booths, he said. "This shows people do not realise the importance of the emergency call centre. It is there to save the lives of the critically injured. These calls prevent medical teams reaching real victims on time because those in need cannot get through to the centre," he said.

Senior officer at the Ministry of Culture's Cultural Monitoring Centre, Ladda Tangsuphachai, said yesterday the overall situation of traditional Thai cultural activities during the Songkran Festival has been satisfactory. Only three out of 76 provinces have been found in cultural violation: Chiang Mai, Prachin Buri and Angthong. All three cases related to coyote dancing with revealing and improper dress, she said. In the Chiang Mai case, the improper dancing was staged in the temple in the middle of the town, she added. "All performances were stopped after police were informed," she said."

The Nation

Re: Songkran ... Deaths as usual

Quote Originally Posted by jinks
    Some 85 per cent of accidents involved motorcycles and most took place on straight secondary roads between 4pm and 8pm.
    Well, at last, I can understand the rationale behind the abandoned rules banning alchohol sales in afternoons. I'm still not sure that banning grocery store afternoon sales helped matters any, however.

It is interesting to note that these statistics posters here seem to love to post generally mask the fact that a majority of the "road accidents" reported (and by embassies) involve MOTORCYCLES and are often misrepresented as inferring police don't give car drivers much attention. Thanks for exposing the horrifying misinformation behind these statistics. Thus we can finally decide that it is not corrupt policemen "ignoring" auto-motorists continuously breaking the law that is the problem. The fact that as the majority of persons in Thailand by the millions more acquire eternal materialistic happiness among popularly elected baht billionaires by moving up to automobiles, road deaths will plummet.

Take a taxi, not a motorcycle.