Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oscars New Bar

Oscars New Bar

Good luck to the new owners of the old My Life Bar to be re-named Oscars.

David, the friendly and bubbly former owner of Le Cage (with Daniel) deserves to be well supported for all the charitable work that he does on behalf of Thais for Life and PGF and the camp courtesy he gives all his customers. Apart from his stage appearances as half of the Dolly Sisters (the larger half!) and despite his medical problems he continues to be one of Pattaya's nicer personalities with a good word for everyone - well almost. No doubt many of his former customers will now decamp to Boyz Town.

As for the history of My Life: it started as a business premises (having laid empty for many years after it was built in the early 80s as the Indian owner refused to sell) as a laundry run by two charming young Thais; after a short while they decided to turn it into a karaoke bar which they sucessfully ran for over a year. It was then sold to the lunatic (meant in its correct sense as one affected by the new moon) former owner of Amor Bar (where Amor Restuarant now is that was formerly the Key Hole straight bar) who tried to keep the Amor name before changing it to Mandate and introducing for a short while some go-go hosts. I believe Terry became involved in partnership with him quite a while later and has continued to run My Life for the past eleven years - not a bad achievement for a small go-go less bar. And good luck to Terry in his retirement.

And Oscars? Originally a bar of this name was situated opposite the present Ice Cafe Berlin opened by a triple partnership of Ron, Martin Fruitin and another former circus employee from the States who got done out of his share and decamped. Ron tried to keep it going for a while by turning it into a cafe downstairs with a go-go bar upstairs. It lasted a short while before the shutters went up.

To complete this story some readers may remember Wildes Bar down near Soi Diamond, Thai run and again short lived demonstrsting that location is everything. They had some quite good cabaret shows from, I believe Tiffanys and Alcazar and the layout was nice not having those aweful pillars every four metres, but the surrounding straight bars ensured very few farang customers willing to run the gauntlet of straights watching the comings and goings.

[/google]

"The only duty we owe history is to rewrite it." Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde

Best wishes for every success in Oscar.

Forum's veteran
    Liked: 1
    No geneman... don't rewrite it tell it like it is, or in this case, was.

Have you started your autobiography ?

:flower: We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars: From Mr Wilde too

Nice one Jinks.

If I don't no one else will and the answer is yes and you're in it! Sadly a later chapter.

Actually, if only one per cent of the REAL story was told none of us would be let back into Thailand!

And by the way, stop peeping over my shoulder.

Good for Boyz Town

Quote Originally Posted by geneman
    Good luck to the new owners of the old My Life Bar to be re-named Oscars.

David, the friendly and bubbly former owner of Le Cage (with Daniel) deserves to be well supported for all the charitable work that he does on behalf of Thais for Life and PGF and the camp courtesy he gives all his customers. Apart from his stage appearances as half of the Dolly Sisters (the larger half!) and despite his medical problems he continues to be one of Pattaya's nicer personalities with a good word for everyone - well almost. No doubt many of his former customers will now decamp to Boyz Town.

As for the history of My Life: it started as a business premises (having laid empty for many years after it was built in the early 80s as the Indian owner refused to sell) as a laundry run by two charming young Thais; after a short while they decided to turn it into a karaoke bar which they sucessfully ran for over a year. It was then sold to the lunatic (meant in its correct sense as one affected by the new moon) former owner of Amor Bar (where Amor Restuarant now is that was formerly the Key Hole straight bar) who tried to keep the Amor name before changing it to Mandate and introducing for a short while some go-go hosts. I believe Terry became involved in partnership with him quite a while later and has continued to run My Life for the past eleven years - not a bad achievement for a small go-go less bar. And good luck to Terry in his retirement.

And Oscars? Originally a bar of this name was situated opposite the present Ice Cafe Berlin opened by a triple partnership of Ron, Martin Fruitin and another former circus employee from the States who got done out of his share and decamped. Ron tried to keep it going for a while by turning it into a cafe downstairs with a go-go bar upstairs. It lasted a short while before the shutters went up.

To complete this story some readers may remember Wildes Bar down near Soi Diamond, Thai run and again short lived demonstrsting that location is everything. They had some quite good cabaret shows from, I believe Tiffanys and Alcazar and the layout was nice not having those aweful pillars every four metres, but the surrounding straight bars ensured very few farang customers willing to run the gauntlet of straights watching the comings and goings.

[/google]
    David is a very nice lad. Good to see him back in Boyz Town.

From the bottom of my heart - I truly wish David all the very best for his new bar OSCARS ...

Forum's veteran
    Liked: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by geneman
    Nice one jinks.

If I don't no one else will and the answer is yes and you're in it!

Sadly a later chapter.

And by the way, stop peeping over my shoulder.
    If I remain in a later chapter it won't get promoted quite as well as the "other book" that spent quite a while in this forum. :cat:

How about a special inside front cover dedication to ensure your publicity! I know you could supply lots of photos and other memorabilia.

Where is this?

There seems to be an assumption that we all know where this is. Bangkok? Phuket? Chiang Mai?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I've seen the Dolly Sisters !!

and they are hugely amusing-never seen them out of drag ( they are in drag aren't they ?)

so good luck to My Life Bar !! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

( are we sure we want to compare it to poor old Oscar Wilde ?..he didn't meet a timely fate after all ?)

I'd like to think it's named after my dear friend Oscar de la Renta !!.
    I'm only a light drinker. When it's daylight I drink.

Liked

Re: Where is this?

Quote Originally Posted by homintern
    There seems to be an assumption that we all know where this is. Bangkok? Phuket? Chiang Mai?
    Located in Pattaya - Boyztown....
    next door to Throb Club and Serene Hotel Bar...two doors from Panorama Club.

Best Wishes David for your continued success...
    and Thanks Terry for your ever welcoming smile and wave.

Look forward to seeing you David .....and your new Oscars Club soon.

..and Thanks David for your wonderful charitable efforts...
    and your leadership over the years with Thais4Life.

TravelerJim
    Tj