Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: outrageous medical costs pattaya/bangkok hospital

Liked

outrageous medical costs pattaya/bangkok hospital

Two weeks ago mid way through my trip I was admitted to Pattaya/Bangkok Hospital casualty

It was not planned and I arrived in shorts, T shirt no credit card.

I was under pressure to be admitted for 24 hours [overnight] at a cost of 35,000 baht, which I refused

For two days I had bloat, lost interest in eating and drinking.

I started to pass liquid through my bowel almost hourly and started to vomit, even though I was taking in no water of food.

This went for two days yet when admitted to PB hospital, they were only interested in BP, pulse rate, connecting me to a saline drip and doing an ECG No questions as to why I had been admitted.

I was asked repeatedly if I had insurance and how I was going to pay.

Qantas cancelled my FF travel insurance as I had turned 70 I had never used the medical facility in LOS so was not worried. My credit card offered some facility depending on prior medical conditions. I had not received the questionairre before leaving for LOS Still not sure what is covered.

BP Hospital carried on as if they had won the jackpot when they saw my ECG showing I had had a heart attack[1991]

I am heart aware and know my BP and pulse rates and what is normal. It concerned me they were only interested in an intensive care patient rather than treating me for a gastro complaint.

For the last few years I have carried in LOS a Power of Attorney [medical] which hotels have not the faintest idea of when and how to use. I arrived at the hospital without the Power of Attorney

My costs on discharge after just over 2 hours including anti biotics , nausea tablets was 9500 baht.

I know Traveller Jim will critisize me but I thought I knew best. TJ, You are welcome to kick my arse.

just a warning for those who think similar.

Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves

I'd kick your ass, too -- but I'd be afraid it would kill you, seeing the shape you're in.

Liked
    9500B does not seem unreasonable. Go in a hospital in USA and see what they charge. Yes, I know TIT, but in contrast I recently went in Bumrangrad for a persistent sinus infection, two visits, meds and facility charge came to about 9000B. The biggest cost was the antibiotics.
    E Dok Tong

Re: outrageous medical costs pattaya/bangkok hospital

Quote Originally Posted by lonelywombat
    I was under pressure to be admitted for 24 hours [overnight] at a cost of 35,000 baht, which I refused
    I spent five days in Pattaya Memorial hospital two years ago after an emergency admission (including two days in the high dependency unit).
    The total cost including ambulance, all investigations, treatment, 2 blood transfusions, medication and 2 days in HDU and 3 days in a single room cost 57,500 Baht. I can't fault the care and treatment I received even though Pattaya memorial is supposed to be less efficient and provides less extensive facilities that Bangkok/Pattaya hospital. Of course the vultures (cashier's office) were there questioning me as soon as they were allowed to ensure that I had means to pay the bill - but that seems to be standard anywhere in the world where free emergency hospital treatment is not available.

After my stay in PMH I was told by ex-pats living in Pattaya that I was lucky as a similar stay at Bangkok/Pattaya would probably have cost me at least 150,000 Baht. 35,000 Baht for 24 hours may seem to be very expensive but it appears to be par for the course at BPH.

Liked: 1
    Several years ago I had my Thai bf taken to BPH by the hospital's ambulance at 2am with severe gastro. He was medicated for stomach pain, nausea, diarrhea, and dehydration in the emergency dept, then admitted to a very nice private room overnight on a rehydration drip. He was discharged late the next afternoon with meds for rehydration, stomach pain and antibiotics. Total bill 11,000 baht. Not bad in the circumstances.

Perhaps the quoted 35,000 THB was for ICU / CCU plus cardiologist consults ?

I never travel without medical insurance. The bf now has medical insurance through his work, and separate accident insurance.

The hospital you chose is well known as the most expensive in town. If you want treatment on the cheap, try a public hospital.

Liked
    I spent an overnight at BPH in September for a bout of food poisoning. Very nice private room, IVs, meds, food, everything for about B14,000 or US$350. I was impressed with my care and compared to what I am used to here in the US it was dirt cheap. Everything but the food was reimbursed by my insurance company after I got home and submitted their form and the receipts.

Sorry you had a bad experience. Not sure what you expected them to do for you when you showed up with no money or credit card, of course they were going to wonder how you would pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Hmmm
    Several years ago I had my Thai bf taken to BPH............Total bill 11,000 baht.
    That would be the Thai price, of course. BPH does have a duel-pricing policy ! (And don't forget inflation from 'several years ago').

Queen Sirikit Hospital in Sattahip can only be recommended. Very good medical team, excellent care, low costs. The publicly owned Pattaya hospitals are also less expensive.

Bangkok Pattaya International Hospital is usually the best choise possible, providing international standard services at very resonable prices, otherwise they would not get so many foreign patiants in. Medical tourism is the hospital group's main and well florishing business.

If you need some medication, it might be wise to ask your doctor to prescribe the Thai equivalent first but not the imported drugs. Imports are always very expensive. All commonly needed drugs are made in Thailand or cheap imports from Malaysia or India at a fraction of usual costs. Of course, the profit margins on imported drugs are better but many foreigners are refusing the locally made medicines ...

If you turn up at a hotel without any luggage and pretty “casual” requesting a good room, drinks and food, they also ask for a nice deposit in cash or will try the flexibility of your credit cards first. No money, no honey - that’s nothing new .. There is no need to blame the hospital recptionists of doing what they are get paid for while checking you in.

Re: outrageous medical costs pattaya/bangkok hospital

Quote Originally Posted by lonelywombat
    Two weeks ago mid way through my trip I was admitted to Pattaya/Bangkok Hospital casualty

It was not planned and I arrived in shorts, T shirt no credit card.

For two days I had bloat, lost interest in eating and drinking.

I started to pass liquid through my bowel almost hourly and started to vomit, even though I was taking in no water of food.

This went for two days yet when admitted to PB hospital, they were only interested in BP, pulse rate, connecting me to a saline drip and doing an ECG No questions as to why I had been admitted.

I was asked repeatedly if I had insurance and how I was going to pay.

Qantas cancelled my FF travel insurance as I had turned 70 I had never used the medical facility in LOS so was not worried. My credit card offered some facility depending on prior medical conditions. I had not received the questionairre before leaving for LOS Still not sure what is covered.

BP Hospital carried on as if they had won the jackpot when they saw my ECG showing I had had a heart attack[1991]

I am heart aware and know my BP and pulse rates and what is normal. It concerned me they were only interested in an intensive care patient rather than treating me for a gastro complaint.

For the last few years I have carried in LOS a Power of Attorney [medical] which hotels have not the faintest idea of when and how to use. I arrived at the hospital without the Power of Attorney

My costs on discharge after just over 2 hours including anti biotics , nausea tablets was 9500 baht.

I know Traveller Jim will critisize me but I thought I knew best. TJ, You are welcome to kick my arse.

just a warning for those who think similar.
    I was taken to Bumrungrad in BKK by a Thai friend 4 years ago with the same symptons as you, had been vomiting etc for 2 days nauseous, aching all over, headaches, not eating and wont even speak about the toilet problems lol - when i saw the place looked like a top hotel i though "oh-oh - this is gonna cost me!"

So after filling the forms and being given an elctronic swipe type card for future use i was seen by a triage nurse who took notes, BP/weight /temp etc. Then aftere a 15 minute wait i was called in to see a doctor with another nurse ( both female) who performed the same tasks and took a blood sample. They left the room and after 5 minutes another female doctor arrived ( senior something or other) and read the notes and wrote me a prescription for 5 drugs ( anti bacterial/antibiotics/painkillers/decongestant/immodium type pills) and asked me to come back tomorrow or day after for result of blood tests.

I went to the pharmacy and was given a bill to pay while they prepared to dispense the drugs. I was scared to look and asked my thai friend - "how much?" To my relief it was just over 1200 baht.

Not bad for 2 nurses- 2 doctors a blood test and 5 drugs.

When i went back 2 days later for blood result i didnt have to pay anything else when they told me i had a bacterial tummy infection and all would be well.

I can only assume you mentioning a past heart problem prompted them to get as much as they could in case you didnt make it lol

Same experience at a Doctors clinic for my leg burn last october
    Initial consultation 700 odd baht including painkillers .

Followed by daily visits for 7 days for wound cleansing and dressing with plastic skin etc at 120 baht a pop - i had no complaints. the burn healed wonderfully well - it was quite large too.

Maybe im just lucky.