Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Someone recently complained about dual pricing

Someone recently complained about dual pricing

From my own extensive Thailand experience I know this happened rarely. Not only Western foreigners are targets of dual pricing methods but sometimes Thai people too. Dual pricing is officially not allowed.

If you are not willing to accept dual pricing methods, you can complain about this practice here:

The Office of the Consumer Protection Board in Bangkok (Hotline: 1166; or Tel: 02-6297048-50 or 02-6297061-3, from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm Monday to Friday). Email: consummer@ocpb.go.th; website: www.ocpb.go.th

Some English speaking staff is available. It makes sense to use easy and polite words. Best is to report your complaint in detailed writing.

Be aware that some claims are difficult to investigate if the customer was notified of the fee in advance.

There are no price control regulations governing medical practitioners.

Please note:
    1. There are also no control regulations regarding "off fees", massage services or payments to moneyboys
    2. There are also no control regulations regarding "special offers", "happy hours" and others

"Officially not allowed" ...

... or otherwise the practice is widespread - you have only to do a Search in ThaiVisa's boards to find countless examples. I believe that entry to national parks in Thailand (a government-run operation) is based on dual pricing, with entry prices clearly posted for all to see

Pattaya Alcazaar and others

Even if a government agency is not handling this matter correcty, just feel free mailing your pricise complaint to Consumer Protection Office, maybe together with some pictures.

The Alcazaar Pattaya is notorious for dual pricing. And there are a couple of others.

Liked

Re: Pattaya Alcazaar and others

Quote Originally Posted by ttom
    Even if a government agency is not handling this matter correcty, just feel free mailing your pricise complaint to Consumer Protection Office, maybe together with some pictures.

The Alcazaar Pattaya is notorious for dual pricing. And there are a couple of others.
    Ttom,

Yes, Alcazar Pattaya has Dual Pricing...

Normal Seat : Farang 500 baht ; Thai 250 baht

VIP Seat: Farang 600 baht; Thai 300 baht

and Tiffany's does likewise...but are even more expensive.

My bf and I stopped by Alcazar last evening to inquire about the price for a Normal Seat...
    they quoted as above...500/250 baht.

and soooooo....we left Alcazar to go see the new King Naresuan Part 2 Movie...
    for a second time - and glad we did ...it is a great movie!
    100 baht each seat - same-same price for both of us :-)

TJ
    Tj

Liked
    Dual pricing is officially not allowed.
    Really? All the national parks have signs with a farang price sometimes 5x that of the Thai price. Sometimes showing a Thai DL gets you the Thai price, other times not. Forget showing the DL at places like Simon, Alcazar and all the rest, don't work there.

Funny thing about this duel pricing model, I have seen Asian Americans get the Thai price and it's not a case of mistaken nationality.
    E Dok Tong

It takes place everywhere I can think of in the undeveloped and developing world.

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by boygeenyus
    It takes place everywhere I can think of in the undeveloped and developing world.
    When I lived in Florida, I could get a 10% discount at Disney by showing my Florida DL. They did not have a sign telling everyone that either.

In Thailand I have seen signs in Thai script using the Thai script numbers for the Thai price and English for the farang price.

The train to Kanchanaburi from Bangkok is 35B for Thai and 235 for Farang. They had a sign in the window that says, "Now everybody pays 235 Baht" then below that in Thai, 200 Baht discount for Thai.
    E Dok Tong

My bf and I were at a US resort recently. Standing in line I noticed that the person in front of me was given a 10% discount. When I asked what that was all about, they told me that "locals" were given a 10% discount while "tourists" paid full whack. This is in AMERICA!

Re: Someone recently complained about dual pricing

Quote Originally Posted by ttom
    If you are not willing to accept dual pricing methods, you can complain about this practice here:

The Office of the Consumer Protection Board in Bangkok (Hotline: 1166; or Tel: 02-6297048-50 or 02-6297061-3, from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm Monday to Friday). Email: consummer@ocpb.go.th; website: www.ocpb.go.th
    If you have too much time, go ahead and complain. And good luck with that!!
    try go to a zoo. Farang and Thais have two different entrance prices. So please complain and let us know how far you get.

Just do it ..

The Office of the Consumer Protection Board is a pretty good institution and often effective.

Of course they cannot reimburse anyone who is being overcharged or mislead but thy will tip-off people in charge regarding rules and regulations.

If people near the fringe of losing face, they sometimes change policies.

The Consumer Protection Board is also useful in case of any other dubious business practice, regardless where and when it happened in Thailand. Just inform them politely and remind after two or three weeks nicely about the progress they have made.

For me they did a few times a pretty good job.

Many other Thai people don’t know about this, don’t trust this service, or don’t want create any problems to some people – it’s all about losing face again.

As soon as my lovely Supervisor learned more about this Office, he issued several reasonable complains in a very polite form. It worked with Big C nicely (they apologised and gave him a free shopping bonus of 1000 TBT), he got a present from his bank (a very nice leather business map with good pens and calculator which I am using now) and he got once a free bus ticket to Bangkok once. Responses are always different.

Supervisor decided that he wants proper services as long as he is paying good money. Value for money is always a topic (he loves Swiss made goods). As a hard working farmer he always provides for his customers the best of his products only; otherwise he would loose customers or money – and maybe face ….