Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pinnacle downturn

Pinnacle downturn

I stayed at the Pinnacle Lumpini in December and my Friend just returned from staying there. Both of us noted a distinct downturn in service and accomodations from stays in the past. Ranging from the rooms looking more shabby, toilets that won't flush and TVs that don't work. My friend complained several times about his non-working TV but nothing was ever done. My complaint about the slow toilets was answered with "all the toilets in the building are like that sir'. The waiters in the restaurant are bored looking and unattentive. You pretty much have to scream at them to get a cup of coffee or tea.
    We have both decided to try another place next time.

Anybody else noticed this downturn?

Liked
    Yep it gets worse every visit. Rooms, and I always stay in the deluxe are getting very shabby............fridge overiced and bathroom fan did not work this time. I thought their wireless system would be a nice improvement but it is the worst wireless I have ever encountered..............down 1/2 the time. I used to think the breakfast was OK but I am even getting tired of the same old same old.Certainally looking forward to the new Ibis Hotel now being built opposite Malaysia. Should be reasonably priced i'm told

Its still better than the Malaysia!!!!!

Its still better than the Malaysia ...

... yeah but you must remember the Malaysia is 700 and less per night, and everything is at hand easily, the rooms shabby but clean. The Pinaccle I reckon is around 1000 a night, probably can get for 850, but invariably not. And probably more than 1000. Malaysia is a fab place and so PLUS friendly.

Just got back

I was at the Pinnacle the last week and I find everything the same. Infact I like the new towels ... thick and new. For bht1250 for deluxe room I can't expect too much.

Liked

Re: Its still better than the Malaysia ...

A few weeks ago I was talking to this farang in a bar (he was sober) and he had been staying at the Malaysia for 4 months. He told me that one of the mangers, a lady, told him that they want to clean up the hotel and make it "family friendly". He was sure "clean up" did not mean remodeling.

I did not take a lot of stock in what he said, but a few nights latter I was walking by and always notice boys sitting on the wall, there were none. Then a few night latter, I noticed one boy sitting on the wall across from the 7-11, down from the Malaysia, he said hello. I asked him why he was sitting here and he said the guard at the Malaysia will not let him sit there. He said, Malaysia now no good.

Still, I have a hard time seeing how the Malaysia can make it as a family hotel.
    E Dok Tong

Or why they would want to! Its always booked solid. Why mess with success?

Liked

Re: Pinnacle downturn

Quote Originally Posted by JakeNasty
    The waiters in the restaurant are bored looking and unattentive. You pretty much have to scream at them to get a cup of coffee or tea.
    We have both decided to try another place next time.
    You "Scream" at them? For the breakfast trough you can walk up and take your own coffee from either side of the room.

So for 800 to 1100 per night, free breakfast, and a good location you expect more?

I will never forget this Russian at Breakfast one morning. They had just put out a big tray of bacon. He took two plates and unloaded the lot including the bread at the bottom of the tray to soak up the grease, sat down with a glass of milk and ate the whole thing.
    E Dok Tong

Enough already

Every few months, some poster tries to trash the Pinnacle. Enough already!! I don't see any evidence of decline at all.
    I have stayed there many many times and everything has always been good. The breakfasts buffets are varied and tasty, the hotel desk clerks are always friendly and helpful, the rooms are decent sized and the furniture and bed are comfortable. The selection of snacks in the minibar is quite limited but that's a plus for me as I don't want to be tempted by an array of sweets and junk.

Yes, the toilet is a problem but I have found a solution. Hold down the flush handle for a while and wait til the water level goes down to four or five inches and press the flush handle again. It will flush everything out leaving clean water.

I don't understand why people must trash the place when it's such a deal. Why don't you trash some of the other hotels, like for example Le Residence which has closet-sized rooms and bossy desk people. Maybe the Pinnacle is so popular that it has more guests to complain about the place even though 1000 baht a day is a steal compared to prices in other hotels.

Of course I am grateful for the complainers. Know why? Because it keeps superficial fussy customers away from my beloved Pinnacle.

Enough already!!

Liked

Re: Enough already

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanDonny
    " ...Enough already!! ... "
    Donny, only 2 posters were negative toward the Pinnacle, all ~ save one ~ of the other replies were supportive. This is a message board, not a cheer leaders convention.

Anyway, I like the Pinnacle ... warts ignored or unseen. As for "screaming for coffee", it's a buffet! Get your own.

The coffee shop is rather intriguing at times for professional observers of the human condition, with obviously hungover, big bellied farangs taking breakfast with (mostly) sullen Thai lay-overs who by the looks of it would much rather be somewhere else. Once in awhile you'll notice a farang and his 'garcon-de-nuit' laughing up a storm and tete-a-teting over juice and toast . . . both looking like they actually had a great night, like each other a lot, and may well rush up to the room for encore. I like that in a coffee shop.

Rooms are mediocre and thoroughly functional. Can't recall the toilets ever not working, and the place was clean. The front desk have always been efficient in my experience, and best of all they never bat an eye letting the beloved check in and relax in the room all day until he meets me at the airport that evening (my "usual" flight ~ UAL from Vancouver ~ touches down at 11PM or so). Pinnacle prices are very good for central Bangkok.

Cheers ...
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand