Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Airbus superjumbo to make stop in Bangkok

Airbus superjumbo to make stop in Bangkok

Bangkok Post : BOONSONG KOSITCHOTETHANA

After bypassing Thailand in past global tours, the Airbus A380 superjumbo will finally make its first showcase visit here early next week as the European planemaker tries to restore its image after announcing lengthy production delays. The visit, scheduled for Dec 5 to 7, comes as Thai Airways International dedhcides whether to cancel an order for six superjumbos worth $1.7 billion. Senior THAI executives said the decision needs to be made by February, or the national carrier's ability to expand capacity and add new routes would be jeopardised.

Shipment of the six double-decker, 555-seat jets has been delayed by up to 24 months beyond the already rescheduled November 2009 start for deliveries. Airbus hopes that showing off the superjumbo at Suvarnabhumi Airport will prompt government officials and industry executives to accept the delays.

As part of its image-boosting exercise in Thailand, France-based Airbus is due to address local media on Monday regarding the airplane and its commitment to deliver the gigantic jets to clients. Anthony Phillips, an Airbus spokesman, said the visit would follow the completion of a 150-hour technical route proving phase, which forms one of the final stages in the 2,500-hour certification programme (utilising five test aircraft) scheduled for completion next month.

Over the past two weeks, the A380 has travelled throughout the region, with stops in Singapore, Seoul, Hong Kong, Guangzhou, Shanghai, Beijing and Sydney. ''Airbus considers it important to present the A380 to all of its major customers in the Asia-Pacific region before the end of the year,'' Mr Phillips said. Additionally, the recent opening of Suvarnabhumi Airport now means that it is technically feasible to accommodate airport compatibility tests, he added.

Five of the 120 aircraft parking bays at Suvarnabhumi can accommodate the Airbus A380, which can land or take off on runways that can take a Boeing 747. European Aeronautic Defence and Space Co (EADS), the parent of Airbus, said airlines haven't cancelled any more orders for the A380 superjumbo since FedEx Corp. scrapped a booking for 10 of the freighter version earlier this month.

Airbus has firm orders for 149 A380s after FedEx cancelled its order.

Singapore Airlines (SIA), the first carrier set to fly the A380, was originally supposed to receive its first superjumbo earlier this year but delays over problems with the cabin wiring have progressively pushed back the plane's arrival.

Liked

She's a BIG ONE!!!

Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Liked

Super Immigration Queues?

It seems to me that the lines at immigration will expand when they dump 500-600 passengers from one plane. I'm not sure I want to be the last guy off of one of those jumbos.

If they ultimately save fuel for the airlines (meaning, to us, that the ticket prices are lower), then I suppose it will work. If there are no fuel savings, however, this project will be the first very bad move (and maybe fatal move) by Airbus.

does the term "White Elephant" ring a bell? Here's hoping Thai cancels their order and goes with the more environmentally friendly new 747-advanced.

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by one2go
    does the term "White Elephant" ring a bell? Here's hoping Thai cancels their order and goes with the more environmentally friendly new 747-advanced.
    I agree with you 100 percent. Partly because I live in Seattle, the home of Boeing. And partly, in practical terms, it's just plain TOO BIG! Only a limited number of airports will be able to accomodate the monstrosity. Boeing is offering a brand new, stretched and highly fuel efficiant 747 with a lot of the same features as the hugely successful new 787 Dreamliner.

Albatross

Ever heard of the Titanic? Well a week or so ago this super-jumbo did a pit stop in Hong Kong and I happened to be there for it's landing, and it wasn't very confidence inspiring. The whole wing bounced up and down as it touched down and didn't stop flapping until long after it landed, like a giant floppsy bunny, count me out, with that much movement its just a matter of time before the wings drop right off, I would hate to see it land in one of our little typhoon cross winds. Never mind the stampede at emigration when 600 people rush at them flapping their passports.

Liked
    Add to that the fact that they've had so many problems with its production that it's two years behind schedule! Really makes you wonder.......

Like many Europeans I find it amusing to hear Americans line up to make cheap shots castigating the fabulous Airbus 380, designed to have bendy wings which is disconcerting but effective. which is even greener and more efficient per passenger then the Boeing dreamliner - of modest capacity. However it is gorgeous with flicked up wingtips and has a catchy name and American salesmen are world beaters when they have a product to sell.

I do compliment Boeing on - at long long long last - having come up with a design for a decent plane. Having been the world's only producer of mass aeroplanes they lost the plot for so many years and allowed Airbus to develop superior modern machines.

true photo

artists impression

I was astonished to hear only yesterday that the new Boeing is going to be TWO THIRDS OUTSOURCED with content from all over the World being assembled in the US. The new Airbus - not the A380 - will do the same.

At least we can all be thankfull that the two excellent producers of planes are making them greener and more efficient so that we can all enjoy cheap flights without ruining the planet.

The Europeans have no business manufacturing aerospace products. They should stick to cheese, chocolates, cuckoo clocks, and other examples of fine old world technology. Leave the rest to America, goddammit.

Liked
    What you consider to be gorgeous, wowpow, I believe to be awkward, bulky and boring in appearance. It's two years behind schedule why? Here's another picture of the beautiful, streamlined jet that is right on schedule.