Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great News! REAL Authenthic American food in Pattaya

Great News! REAL Authenthic American food in Pattaya

This is the real deal, folks.
    The food scene in Pattaya gets better and better every year.

Some of the best smoked BBQ ribs you will ever taste are to be found at the Great American Rib Company in Pattaya. People in Texas or the South would think these are damn good ribs. I am not kidding.

Now the Great American Rib Company has opened a snazzy new branch in Pattaya in kind of a weird location.
    Its on Thepprasit on the way to Sukhumwit from Thapraya in Jomtien.

If coming from Jomtien, turn into Thepprasit and drive a bit, it is on the right with large enough signs to notice if you are payin attention.

You will thank me for this tip! The food is really excellent and fairly priced.
    BTW, some years back I tried that New Orleans Cafe place in Boyztown and found it totally inauthentic and overpriced.
    The Great American Rib Company is the opposite of that.

The place is not at all gay, but who cares? The food rocks, and they have happy hours and live music some nights.
    And it just opened last week ...

Check out this review of their Bangkok location:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/sunday/ ... 28444.html

Re: Great News! REAL Authenthic American food in Pattaya

Quote Originally Posted by Jingthing
    BTW, some years back I tried that New Orleans Cafe place in Boyztown and found it totally inauthentic and overpriced.
    Things haven't changed. I was there a couple of months ago. I can't vouch for the authenticity as I am not an American. The food was edible but nothing special. However, the prices were extortionate and I would not go back there again for that reason. (I'm surprised the place survives at the rip-off prices they charge).

Will try the place on Thepprasit that you mention next time I'm in town.

Liked
    тАЬтАжsome years back I tried that New Orleans Cafe place in Boyztown and found it totally inauthentic and overpriced. The Great American Rib Company is the opposite of that.тАЭ

IтАЩm glad you enjoyed The Great American Rib Company. Taste in food is, curiously, a matter of taste. IтАЩm not sure about тАЬauthenticityтАЬ, as in the US I have found barbeque ranging from delicious to inedible. The owner informed us hickory wood is imported from the US to smoke the ribs; that must be expensive. I find the ribs at New Orleans to be better and the prices to be more reasonable.

TGARC plays a game with menu pricing which irritates me no end. You must order what they want you to order to get a price which appears reasonable. For example a тАЬhalf feast for twoтАЭ which really isnтАЩt much of a feast with each person receiving ┬╝ rack,┬╝ chicken (What does ┬╝ chicken look like? Do you want a front quarter or the back quarter?), ┬╝ lb. pulled pork, an unspecified amount of pork tenderloin, and tiny side orders.

Sure without a drink , a salad or a desert it will only cost you 298 bt., but unless you like to eat bones you will still be hungry. What if you donтАЩt want the chicken, the pulled pork, or the tenderloin for two people. You just want a half rack for yourself. Well now, that puts us in a different category -- no bargains here.

My only complaint concerning TGARC beside the price is the minuscule portions of the side dishes served with the ribs, in my case B-B-Q beans and baked potato. I have rarely left a restaurant hungry after paying a check as large.

A jazz band is to provide diversion some evenings. You may want to call ahead to inquire. The owner did not stint in the construction nor in the decor of the venue, and is certainly a hands-on manager. I do not recall itsтАЩ being air conditioned. If it is, please correct me Jingthing.

I would not have responded had Caf├й New Orleans not been compared unfavorably to TGARC.

Liked
    What defines "REAL Authenthic " is very subjective.

My favorite BBQ is in Memphis, Tennessee, at a place called Memphis City BBQ. It has several locations now including the airport. I don't eat on a flight connecting in Memphis and always stop in for the pulled pork BBQ. I had had BBQ all over the Southern USA but for me this place is my first choice. Dark and on the sweet side.

In Miami Beach, there is a place, off Collens Ave, that has Argentinian BBQ. The place is just a hole in the wall, decorated with a cow motif. Hard to find an empty table but if you have to wait, it's worth it. You have to like garlic a lot too. All the tables have more garlic chopped with basel and olive oil.

In Tampa, Florida the place for BBQ is Big John's. It's in a bad neighborhood, go only in the day time. Very smokey and spicy.

All three of these places in USA are very different thus what's really authentic?
    E Dok Tong

Not sure if the new Rib Place has aircon, plenty of fans though.
    I assume you are talking about the Bangkok location?
    I believe the prices and menu are the same.
    The ribs I had were extraordinarily good and a half rack was in my opinion quite a large portion for almost anyone.
    Cost 295 baht.
    The BBQ sauce which was served on the side was also excellent. Looking forward to trying other menu items.

I agree the side dishes were small, much smaller than you would get in the US.

The star is clearly the meat. And it is really good. I would venture that the vast majority of people who try it will love it, Thais, Americans, Euros, Aussies, etc. Apparantly, the Bangkok location is very popular with Thais.

Drinks are not cheap and there is a plus plus system. So a 1/2 rack platter with a drink will run over 400 baht.
    Expensive by Pattaya standards? Perhaps, but totally worth it. Quality for some money rather than crap for money.

My negative feeling about New Orleans was aside from crappy food and high prices, it isn't in any stretch of the imagination a New Orleans style eatery (the dishes they serve as being New Orleans dishes are just completely off the mark). It pisses me off thinking that Europeans think they have eaten New Orleans food after eating there. It is a fake. For me, it was worth one try to check it out. Once burned ...

I think this new rib place is worth at least one try by anyone in Pattaya who likes good food. I bet many will be back for more ...

Quote Originally Posted by TrongpaiExpat
    What defines "REAL Authenthic " is very subjective.

My favorite BBQ is in Memphis, Tennessee, at a place called Memphis City BBQ. It has several locations now including the airport. I don't eat on a flight connecting in Memphis and always stop in for the pulled pork BBQ. I had had BBQ all over the Southern USA but for me this place is my first choice. Dark and on the sweet side.

In Miami Beach, there is a place, off Collens Ave, that has Argentinian BBQ. The place is just a hole in the wall, decorated with a cow motif. Hard to find an empty table but if you have to wait, it's worth it. You have to like garlic a lot too. All the tables have more garlic chopped with basel and olive oil.

In Tampa, Florida the place for BBQ is Big John's. It's in a bad neighborhood, go only in the day time. Very smokey and spicy.

All three of these places in USA are very different thus what's really authentic?
    Of course, there are many different styles of American rib preparation. All are authentic. All I am saying is that except for the admitted small side portions, these ribs could be served in most any American city and would be received with enthusiasm. I say almost any because in some US areas ribs are a cult, and if they aren't prepared in the specific local way, they might not be accepted, even if good. Get real. This is Thailand. These are fucking good ribs, OK?

BTW, the Miami place you mentions sounds like an Argentinian parilla, not an American rib place, although I am sure that grilled rib meat is one of the cuts that they offer. Pattaya could use a good Argentinian parilla too!

Liked
    I would be happy just to be able to find American style coffee with American style creamer.... I was tempted to bring my own coffee maker and coffee & creamer on my last trip. And when I was there I was sorry I didn't do it.
    These are the good'ol days

Hey Buckn, what exactly do you mean? A drip style coffee maker? You can buy those in Thailand and filters too. You can get decent beans either at Starbucks or Foodland. Creamer? You mean that chemical stuff? Like someone said, food taste really is subjective!

Liked

Re: Great News! REAL Authenthic American food in Pattaya

Quote Originally Posted by Jingthing
    This is the real deal, folks.
    The food scene in Pattaya gets better and better every year.

Some of the best smoked BBQ ribs you will ever taste are to be found at the Great American Rib Company in Pattaya. People in Texas or the South would think these are damn good ribs. I am not kidding.

Now the Great American Rib Company has opened a snazzy new branch in Pattaya in kind of a weird location.
    Its on Thepprasit on the way to Sukhumwit from Thapraya in Jomtien.

If coming from Jomtien, turn into Thepprasit and drive a bit, it is on the right with large enough signs to notice if you are payin attention.

You will thank me for this tip! The food is really excellent and fairly priced.
    The Great American Rib Company is the opposite of that.

The place is not at all gay, but who cares? The food rocks, and they have happy hours and live music some nights.
    And it just opened last week ...

Check out this review of their Bangkok location:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/sunday/ ... 28444.html
    You should be ashamed !!!!

Im about to leave for Pattaya again on the 5th. Now that you have mentioned BBQ im going to have to go out of my way to get a fix before I leave..

You should be ashamed !!!

john
    TOQ Tired Old Queen

Don't feed the trolls, Don't feed the trolls, I keep telling myself ..........

Liked
    I was referring to the Pattaya branch of TGARC.

I would have left with a better impression if they hadnтАЩt been so parsimonious with the side orders. Maybe the baked potato wasnтАЩt their fault. God seems to have ordained that ThailandтАЩs potatoes can be only slightly larger than a henтАЩs egg. But their delicious BBQ beans -- you could put the serving in a spoon. Good grief, how much can beans cost?