Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coup update: reality bites

Coup update: reality bites

Remember those halcyon days straight after the coup when young hot-headed members were rejoicing in Thaksin's downfall, asserting without doubt that he would soon be stripped of his wealth and be convicted of the heinous crimes he committed while prime minister? (Stand up, Young Master Cedric and others) Well, boys and girls, I said then it wasn't going to happen, and it won't. A story and a cartoon from yesterday's Nation illustrate the current mood in Bangkok. As well, it's increasingly obvious that this was a coup cooked up by the king and his Army buddies to get rid of someone who was becoming an alternative source of patronage and respect for the Thai people and who might be in a position to exercise undue influence on the next king (oh yes, we're in the end-game here for Bhumpibol)

The cartoon shows the coup leaders sitting (in a "CNS Brainstorming Session") with a list of Thaksin's crimes that justify the coup. One of them is saying "Could his face being too square possibly be another good reason for the coup?"

The article quotes a media reform activist. Here is some of what she says - and I'll put in the hyperlink for the rest
    Quote Originally Posted by Supinya Klangnarong
    Deposed Premier Thaksin Shinawatra's ill-gotten wealth is unlikely to ever be confiscated, media reform activist Supinya Klangnarong said yesterday.

"We can't expect the Council for National Security to do it because they all came from the same class and even if they have conflict about the issue, they're unlikely to go the whole hog or set a new standard by seizing Thaksin's assets," said Supinya.

Her view, at a symposium on how to create a culture of reform, was echoed by others.
    http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/11 ... 019849.php

Liked
    One cartoonist and one speaker???

Okay.... Enjoy yourself....
    These are the good'ol days

If you think about it - Thaksin could probably take down hundreds of Highly placed people. Being an astute business man im sure hes kept detailed records of everything. Maybe even a general or 2!

Re: Coup update: reality bites

Quote Originally Posted by homintern
    who might be in a position to exercise undue influence on the next king (oh yes, we're in the end-game here for Bhumpibol)
    Given the fact that no one at all really seems to care he's been ousted, I hardly find that statement credible. As far as I'm concerned Taksin can keep all his wealth gathered through lying and cheating his way through his police and short-lived political career, but any really ill gotten gains should be taken away. He should be made to pay his fair taxes, plus penalties and interest.

Liked

Re: Coup update: reality bites

Quote Originally Posted by ArNolD
    Quote Originally Posted by homintern
    who might be in a position to exercise undue influence on the next king (oh yes, we're in the end-game here for Bhumpibol)
    I hardly find that statement credible.
    I find the statement plausible and highly probable. In my opinion, this coup was nothing more than a palace operation supported by the generals who feared for their positions and wealth. The rest (including 90% of the allegations against Shinawatra) is all obfuscation and window dressing. The only difference between Shinawatra and the coup makers is that's he's richer than all of them.

a few posters are correct

I doubt anyone highly placed really does want Thaksin to face a court-it would be like opening up a can of worms. Besides look at those who have gone before him in similar circumstance-Ferdinand Marcos, the Suharto family etc. Indeed Tommy Suharto waltzed out of jail in Indonesia last week after serving just 5 years for organising the assasination of a judge-whilst a bunch of young Aussies face a firing squad for drug smuggling.

And his real downfall was due to his challenge to the man at the very top-that was when he was assured of being given the boot, even if it was with 80 suitcases stufffed with cash when he left on his overseas trip.

Re: a few posters are correct

Quote Originally Posted by thaiwonon
    I doubt anyone highly placed really does want Thaksin to face a court
    Remember Suchinda - the butcher of early nineties Bangkok? He's still alive and well, playing golf with his buddies all around Asia (and Australia)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

ReZ: Thaksin

Regardless if Thaksins assets are seized or not, the coup was successful using any unit of measure.

All political governments are polluted with corruption, including Thaland. A person would have to be totally naive to think otherwise. Setting up a series of in-depth court proceedings and investigations, which would be required to capture or seize any of Thaksins assets, would undoubtedly expose other corrupt undertakings within the political framework of the country which would be counter production, especially at this critical time.

Thaksin was stripped of the thing that he cherished the most - and that was his POWER. Sometimes it's best to just leave things be.

Successful in what way? Removing one corrupt piece of shit and replacing him with exactly the same thing (except that they were never elected to anything)? Progress, indeed.

Forum's veteran
    Liked
    Patience Boygeenyus...patience