Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cycle tours of old Bangkok and plantations

Cycle tours of old Bangkok and plantations

Now I'm talking about the Grand China Princess hotel: for those of you who want to do something out of the ordinary - and utterly not related to sex:

A Dutch guy (nope, he ain't gay) runs bicycle tours from the Grand China Princess. His tours start at 07.00 AM, and last all morning. You get a bike, and cycle from the GCP through Chinatown's tiny alleys. Then you cross the Chao Praya river by pedestrian ferry or longtail boat (bikes go along as well). On the other side you cycle first through Thonburi, later through abandoned plantations. Almost looks like you're in the jungle! Last leg is a longtail boat ride of about 30 minutes back to BKK. Then you cycle from the pier back to the GCP around 12.30.

The tour includes everything: bike, guide, as many drinks & snacks as you like during the stops (once every hour or so). Bt. 950 each person.

I've done it myself, several times even. I like biking. Actually, I am one of the very few who rides a bicycle to work in Bangkok.

Nice thing is that you see Bangkok as it is. Where the 'real' people live. You don't see the famous temples, but the ones that common folks go to. The atmosphere is relaxed, and both the participants as well as the general public like it a lot. I'm living in BKK for 14 years, and during those rides I've seen more of Bangkok than I did in many years living here.

I don't know if the moderator allows a url, but I'll try it anyway: http://www.covankessel.com.

posted by Gany on CFS

Terrible idea

Sorry, but getting on a bicycle at 7:00AM and riding around Bangkok in terrible traffic and swealtering heat and humidity SOUNDS LIKE A TRIP TO HELL!!!

And I have to p[ay for this experience?!?

No thanks, I'll pass.

ajarntrade

I post this to counteract ajarntrade's negativity. I am even thinking of mounting a Raleigh lady bike for

"Introduction
    Thank you for visiting Co van Kessel Bangkok Tours! Here you find the best way to see the real day-to-day life of Bangkok. We offer BangkokтАЩs most unique bicycle tour accordingly a number of publications in the Netherlands. Not only Dutch publications, but a lot of English language publications as well. Newspapers and magazines have written the last 20 years about this unique way of discovering BangkokтАЩs hidden secrets. Most of of our clients are Dutch, but we warmly welcome other nationalities too. That's why we now have our site available in English!

You won't be cycling in the busy traffic on major roads. We show you places you yourself wouldn't even expect to exist. Let alone find it! Many travelers are interested in how ordinary Bangkok people live. Sometimes we walk with the bicycle in our hand. "Pedestrians on wheels" as a journalist wrote: to watch and experience it all in a flow of details.

By using longtail-boats we keep the tour comfortable, because of the cooling effect of the wind. The bicycles go into the boats too. In covering more distance, the scenery varies from colourful tiny back alleys (тАЬsoi'sтАЭ) from Chinatown to cycling through green plantations on the edge of Bangkok. A relaxing experience something truly unique.

Every tour is different. Co van Kessel started nearly 30 years ago systematically investigating and examining Bangkok. That's why we are able to adjust a routing to the circumstances. One is interested in the landscape. Others rather stop to take a picture. We try to accommodate all. Not only try; we pretty much succeed in that!

Bangkok itself is as flat as a pancake. Cycling therefore is as easy as the bikes are themselves. You can choose a "lady " Raleigh bicycle. They have a handy basket in front and about 70% of our guests want one of those. We use also 'hybrids' or you can ride a TREK mountainbike. The TREK's are available in 4 different sizes. We recommend them especially for taller people over 190 cm. We also have a set of teenage mountain bikes and some children's bicycles for kids of 6-8 years.

Cycling itself isn't the purpose of the tour. It's just a way to get you to see and experience this all. In this tour youтАЩll be submerged in the real life of Bangkok. You feel it as in a movie. You'd almost forget you are riding a bicycle.

Our guests are always surprised: they know Bangkok, huge capital of this Thailand, to be a busy metropolis. Crowded, the mother of all traffic jams. Pollution surrounds everything.. That is what most everyone thinks about Bangkok.

You don't have to worry about all that. We take our guests on bicycles anywhere but there. We avoid the main traffic for more then 95% of the routings. You'll ride through the unknown Bangkok. The back alleys and slums, temples, schools and markets, shunted by tourists. Through hidden green areas, jungle-look a like, right in the middle of the metropolis. You won't see many cars; they simply can't get where we ride our bicycles. Places of silence where all you hear is the birds singing, children chatting or a dog barking.
    Rediscover Bangkok! Go to The Tour page to find out more about our present tour:
    From the Heart of Chinatown to the Gardens of Siam"

Will the varicose veins permit.

I am pretty sure that they take you to a secret peninsular on the Chao Praya River close to central Bangkok where there are no roads, only cycletracks and it's like ancient Thailand. It is known as the "Lung of Bangkok" and the last time I mentioned it Smiles produced and aerial photo showing it - where does he get stuff?

Bang Krachao is only a "secret" if you spend most of your time in bars.

Opportunity

Someone ought to do a motorbike equivalent for those of us who are lazy/less fit/don't like bicycles/prone to heat exhaustion. I do like the idea of seeing abandoned plantations, and of discovering Thonburi!

Wowpow -- would you mind to share some photos that you might have taken on the tour?

Ooodles of photos on the website http://www.covankessel.com./En/fotoEN.html

I am sadly frightened to go on a bike tour I don't think my fitness or leg strength is up to it. I might go if they have those electric two wheeled thingies. My preference is to travel like Geezer - see his avatar - on a palanquin carried by four strapping youths. These days I might need six or eight.

Liked

On your bike

Thanks Wowpow

Thats something that I'd never heard of before. I'm very tempted to give it a try, although I think I'd prefer the 1pm start time.

If only there were a few friends of the forum who were willing to meet up and give it a try.....

the "other side" of the river

Quote Originally Posted by wowpow
    Now I'm talking about the Grand China Princess hotel: for those of you who want to do something out of the ordinary - and utterly not related to sex:
    Nice thing is that you see Bangkok as it is. Where the 'real' people live. You don't see the famous temples, but the ones that common folks go to.
    There is a huge amount to see and do on the "other" side of the Chao Phraya river. It's not so much where the "common" folk go, but where a whole whack of Bangkok lives breaths and generally goes about their business without tourists. The difference between them is starkly pleasant, Thai and sensuously delectable, the Thep in the Krung.
    Just like the whole of Bangkok was in the early eighties when I was a toddler. People actually wonder what the fcuk you are doing there, but in a very charming way. The best massage places are there and markets and restaurants. It feels like a holiday, without the hustle and tack. I always stay on the West bank, erm with the common people.

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by boygeenyus
    Or if you are stuck for 11 months a year in Farangland
    More on my blog at : llz.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by llz
    Quote Originally Posted by boygeenyus
    Or if you are stuck for 11 months a year in Farangland
    Or if you're stuck for 11 months a year in Farangland and can't be bothered to read a guidebook or search for tourist information on the internet.