Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the new airport a joke?

Is the new airport a joke?

I arrived today back in Thailand for the first time in two years. I thought the new airport was supposed to be state of the art. I guess it's no worse overall than Don Muang but that's not the point. Chipped tiles, badly concreted walls (my Dad's in construction so I do notice these things) and shops from here to buggery. I got through Immigration OK, picked up my bag (I was nervous about even getting it, from stories I'd heard). The I went outside to try to find the guy who was meeting me. What a mess. They're already rebuilding or repairing something, there was scaffolding and the usual army of do-nothing Thai workers. A tiny little meeting area. The usual touts everywhere. Not something on which to build a successful tourist industry.

Re: Is the new airport a joke?

Quote Originally Posted by Curious
    Not something on which to build a successful tourist industry.
    In case you haven't noticed, m'dear, most of Thailand's tourists are utter failures. Just be grateful that you're not alone.

I actually went through 2 days ago and thought it was just fine.

Huge with a need for more signage but not hot at all and a very pleasant experience. Much better than anything the UK can offer.

I think most people just like familiar things and once they find where everthing is they will come to love it. Smoking rooms are on 2nd floor!

Making the right comparison

Quote Originally Posted by Oogleman
    Much better than anything the UK can offer
    That's hardly the point - the UK doesn't have a new international airport opened just this year

Have only arrived. Perhaps departing will be nicer. I found it sterile. Doesn't compare with Changi or the KL airport.

For those that haven`t been i snapped a few quick pics on the way through. sorry for the quality - david bailey i aint!

if you like exploring you will love it - 4 floors you can access if leaving or seeing somebody off - easiest thing to find is Muslim prayer room - signs for that everywhere!

Liked
    I flew out on a domestic flight today and found the airport just fine. I liked the carry-on baggage screening at the gate, no bottle necks, no wait. We went up to the top floor above counters H for some decent food, better than what most airports offer. It's called the casual cafe.

The floors did seems to have rubber marks, from the luggage carts?
    I found a lot of bathrooms but many are just 2 and 3 hole-ers.

AC was fine. Signs are not very prominent but I think that's part of the design. It's a BIG space.

The only real problem I had was finding a taxi in central BKK that wanted to make the trip. First two just passed, the next wanted 400B and then one wanted a "the new airport surcharge of 40B". The fare came to 185B, 60B tolls and I gave him his 40B.

It looks like you can catch a taxi on the departure floor if your quick. I noticed taxis lingering there as long as they can before being waived on. That might avoid the bottle neck downstairs and a wait.
    E Dok Tong

Deceased Member
    Liked
    Some information hints tips and pictures with maps galore here on Boxers Airport Guide.
    www.boxertravels.net/airport/index.htm

Liked: 1
    The Airport is just fine please stop whining about it. You can see from Ooglemans pics that its very nice.

The short time I spent in it last month on the way in and out was just fine For goodness sake you complainers, do you go to Thailand to spend your time wandering around an airport nit picking or do you go to have a good time? I wouldn't care if I landed on a grass strip near Jomtian beach and got my bags from the back of a truck just as long as I havd arrived in Thailand.

So much wasted energy has been put into this subject please enjoy Thailand and shut the fuck up about the airport being bad. Let this be the end of it.
    Don't try to hold in farts - they travel up your spine and into your brain and that is where shitty ideas come from.

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by allieb
    So much wasted energy has been put into this subject please enjoy Thailand and shut the fuck up about the airport being bad.
    and how much public money has been wasted on this fuck up we are supposed to shut the fuck up about?

bkkguy
    I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!