Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Useful Information about The Bank of Bangkok

Liked: 1

Useful Information about The Bank of Bangkok

I thought this information would be useful to many on this forum.

The Bank of Bangkok Silom branch will let any visitor open a savings account by just producing a photo copy of your passport. I opened one three trips ago. They gave me a passbook and an ATM card to withdraw money from the account. The ATM card works anywhere in the world. You can use it whilst in Thailand to pay restaurant and shopping bills and any other bills from shops that display the visa sign. Better than carrying too much cash.

I found that bringing dollars cash with me on a visit and depositing it in the account on the first day. (they change it to Baht) is the best and safest way. Cash can be withdrawn anywhere day and night as you need it.

If you have a bf and give him an allowance each month, you can set up a standing order. It's so much cheaper than transfers from USA and European rip off banks and defiantly cheaper than Western Union. You can also transfer any currency to the account at any time during your absence from Thailand and take advantage of good exchange rates when your currency peaks.

I wonder how many of you guys knew about this. It would be interesting to know how you take care of your money whist in Thailand.

Don't try to hold in farts - they travel up your spine and into your brain and that is where shitty ideas come from.

Liked

Bank

But you'll have difficult communicating with your bank. And, as far as I know, I've never come across a Bank of Bangkok branch that will let you use the internet banking without a work permit.

At least some branches of Siam Commercial Bank will let you open up an account with only a 30-day visa and then to use their internet banking privileges. I've done that and had my CM friend open an account also at SCB and, with the click of a mouse, I can transfer funds from my account to his without any charge. I can also use my ATM card they gave me and there is no charge for use of that in the northern province areas (there's the nominal charge if I use it down south).

Either way is generally cheaper than constantly wiring funds or sending money orders. And, if you're betting that the Thai baht will keep appreciating against your particular currency, it can be helpful to stash a sum in that account ( the appreciation, in US dollar terms, for me has been about 12% since last October).

Thanks for the info. Bob. If what you say is right then I'm going to change to The Siam bank next trip. Its true you can't get access through the internet with The Bank of Bangkok on a visit visa.
    Don't try to hold in farts - they travel up your spine and into your brain and that is where shitty ideas come from.

I've never heard of "Bank of Bangkok". Is it new?

Quote Originally Posted by boygeenyus
    I've never heard of "Bank of Bangkok". Is it new?
    Ok Mr. Perfect. BANGKOK BANK.

At leat Bobs post before you is full of useful information.

Useful information

Quote Originally Posted by allieb
    Ok Mr. Perfect. BANGKOK BANK. At leat Bobs post before you is full of useful information.
    I'd have thought getting the name of the bank right is fairly useful information, especially as there are some Thai banks with relatively similar names. I'd have to say my question would have been the same as boygeenyus (and we both live here)

I wonder if you would let me know the banks with similar names. I have just put The Bank of Bangkok into various search engines and all they come up with is Bangkok Bank.

Regarding Boygeenyus. He seems to be an intelligent person. Intelligence that is wasted on nit picking other peoples posts. He knew exactly what I meant. he was just being a smart asrse again.

He simply could have said don't you mean Bangkok Bank.

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by allieb
    I wonder if you would let me know the banks with similar names. I have just put The Bank of Bangkok into various search engines and all they come up with is Bangkok Bank.

Regarding Boygeenyus. He seems to be an intelligent person. Intelligence that is wasted on nit picking other peoples posts. He knew exactly what I meant. he was just being a smart asrse again.

He simply could have said don't you mean Bangkok Bank.
    You go, girl! (Does any body still say that? ) I found your original post perfectly clear and, yes, "Useful." Thank you.

you go girl

No one says that anymore, only Hugh Scully from the Antiques Road Show, and he is a lesbian.

Liked
    I also have used Bangkok Bank for a few years. I normally replenish my account by wire each time before I visit. I also use their standing order for monthly allowance but be aware you have to be personally present to stop or change an existing standing order.
    If you burn your neighbors house down, it doesn't make your house look any better. - Lou Holtz