Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New laws to ban smoking in Thailand - almost everywhere

Liked: 1

New laws to ban smoking in Thailand - almost everywhere

I missed this one but Gaybutton did not so I lifted it from Gaythailand website.

Smokers to Face Tougher Restrictions and Fines, The Nation, Published on September 2, 2006

Finding a place to light up a cigarette is going to become much more difficult when the Public Health Ministry's tougher anti-smoking regulations take effect in November.
    The regulations are going to turn most public areas into no-smoking zones, while attractive descriptions such as "Mild" and "Light" will be removed from cigarette packets and the harmful and carcinogenic components of smoke will be displayed.
    The regulations will also introduce more pictorial warnings about smoking on the packets.

The ban on smoking in most public areas will become effective in November, while other regulations will come into force next February. Caretaker Public Health Minister Pinij Charusombat said he had signed for the amendment to regulations on August 24. However, the regulations will have to be announced in the Royal Gazette for a certain period of time before they can come into force. "If you defy the smoking ban, you face a fine," Pinij added. An offence by a smoker will be punishable by a fine of up to Bt2,000, while the offending property owner will face a fine of up to Bt20,000. Pinij said the regulations were aimed to protect Thais from smoking dangers.

According to him, six Thais die of smoking-related diseases every hour, which equates to about 52,000 deaths a year. Smoking-related diseases - heart diseases, lung cancer and bronchitis - cost the country more than Bt50 billion in healthcare services.

After the new regulations take effect, most public places will become no-smoking zones. This includes stadiums, bus stops, buses, children's playgrounds, public parks, sport facilities and public telephone booths. Currently, no-smoking areas are mostly restricted to air-conditioned zones.

Pinij yesterday said the words "Mild" and "Light" would be removed from cigarette packets because they could mislead buyers into believing that the danger of smoking was not serious. This regulation looks set to seriously affect one cigarette brand, "Mild Seven Light". In 2004, the Council of State said this was a trade name and should be allowed to remain. But the latest move by the Public Health Ministry may remove the immunity. Pinij did not mention the trade name yesterday. However, he added that cigarette packets would be required to display the harmful and carcinogenic cigarette-smoke components such as tar, formaldehyde, carbon monoxide and hydrogen cyanide. He said pictorial warnings on packets would also have more designs. All warnings will feature the adverse effects of smoking.

Duangkamon Sajirawattanakul The Nation

Bravo - it's such a delight when a Government Minister does something sensible and beneficial to the citizens and visitors. Oh the thought of smoke free bars and restaurants fills me with joy. Does anyone have the address of the Public Health Ministry so that I can shop anyone who contravenes the law - well at least if they decline to cross my palm with 15,000 baht!

Compliments also to Arnie (ex Tawan?) who has done similar in California.

I hope that my posts will be of use.

This drives me nuts!!

Alcohol causes more deaths and health care problems that smoking ever does. WIll they start on alcohol next? I doubt it!

no smoking

About time , but will it be put into pratice

About time, but will it be put into pratice
    Ah, this is Thailand, likely not for long and not everywhere.

Liked
    This includes stadiums, bus stops, buses, children's playgrounds, public parks, sport facilities and public telephone booths. Currently, no-smoking areas are mostly restricted to air-conditioned zones.
    Telephone booths? Will this apply to bars, go go or disco? I hope so but doubt it.
    E Dok Tong

Liked

Arne likes stogies

Compliments also to Arnie (ex Tawan?) who has done similar in California.
    Arnold had nothing to do with the non-smoking ordinances in California. They went into effect well before he became governor. In fact since he smokes cigars, which arent allowed in public buildings, he had to set up a tent on capitol grounds so he could smoke cigars with his cronies. He hardly sets a good example.
    Life is sexually transmitted and terminal.

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by Oogleman
    This drives me nuts!!

Alcohol causes more deaths and health care problems that smoking ever does. WIll they start on alcohol next? I doubt it!
    This is argumentable. Alcohol (wine) in moderation actually has health benefits. There is a ballot initiative here in California this November that will place an additional $2.50 (100 THB) tax on a pack of cigarettes bringing the total costs to $7.50 (300 THB) per pack. I will vote "yes".

Liked
    This drives me nuts!!

What's the sorce (study, reference, stats) of that claim?
    E Dok Tong

Quote Originally Posted by TrongpaiExpat
    This drives me nuts!!

What's the sorce (study, reference, stats) of that claim?
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3537257.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3121440.stm

THE UK'S ALCOHOL PROBLEM
    The scale and cost of drinking in the UK

The study by the Prime Minister's Strategy Unit shows 17 million working days are lost to hangovers and drink-related illness each year.

The annual cost to employers is estimated to be ┬г6.4 billion while the cost to the NHS is in the region of ┬г1.7bn.

Billions more are spent clearing up alcohol-related crime and social problems.

In addition, alcohol-related problems are responsible for 22,000 premature deaths each year.

However, the authors of the report said that even these figures may be a conservative estimate.

They found that there are 1.2 million incidents of alcohol-related violence a year.

Around 40% of A&E admissions are alcohol-related. Between midnight and 5am that figure rises to 70%.

Alcohol-related accidents and illnesses land around 150,000 people in hospital each year.

Up to 1.3 million children are affected by parents with drink problems, the report said.

and then theres the cost to others.

Alcohol-related crime
    The links between alcohol and violence are well established. But we are determined to rid our streets of this growing problem.

Facts & figures
    in nearly half (48%) of all violent incidents, victims believed offenders to be under the influence of alcohol
    this figure rose to 60% in cases of 'stranger violence'

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/crime-vict ... ted-crime/