Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: A Little History

A Little History

Stickman's column this week pointed to a link with some photos, mostly of Bangkok, during the 1950's.

I found the photos interesting, perhaps a few here will also.

www.flickr.com/photos/terrymct/sets/72157594143583454/

Stickman's Column:

www.stickmanbangkok.com/Weekly2006/weekly277.htm

Someone should tell the guy that the country's name was already "Thailand", not "Siam", when his father was here.

I really enjoyed looking at the pics, as this was the year i was born ( 1956 ). To see the old cars and all the push bikes was good. Notice too the lack of the motor scootter. Thanks for posting them.

What a coincidence! That's the same year "sing lofty sing", "sexy lofty sexy", and "jollyjacktar" were born!

good for them

Forum's veteran
    Liked
    Boygeenyus...

His father wasn't the only one who was technically wrong...

The polity now known as Thailand was generally referred to as "Siam" for many centuries. Nationalists renamed it in 1939 in an attempt to be more inclusive of people, particularly in the north, northeast, and south, who had never considered themselves "Siamese" (i.e., indigenous subjects of the state ... ) but might be persuaded to think of themselves as "Thai." After World War II "Siam" briefly was restored as the country's name in 1946, but little more than a year later "Thailand" became permanent. For several years after the war, the name Siam remained the common expression of the majority of Thai nationals. It wasn't until the early 1960's that the name Thailand firmly took it's place.

Courtesy of Nathaniel's Blog.