Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pattaya Expat Market in Steep Decline

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Pattaya Expat Market in Steep Decline

According to recent surveys the Pattaya expat market is in steep decline. To put this in perspective one has to realize that the foreign market as-a-whole is in steep decline because of the pandemic. No mystery there. The reasons cited in the article below include the rising cost of living, fears that hospital treatment would bankrupt them (expats) and the fact that “Thailand isn’t what it used to be” for various reasons. You’re kidding!

They forgot to mention the fact that people haven’t been coming here to retire for 2 years now – and the ones that are here now are gradually taking leave. Just a thought!

The strategy to overcome this decline is to attract super-wealthy foreigners to take their vacations and/or retire in Thailand. Wow…what a fabulous idea!

Wouldn’t it be great to see Brad Pitt sunbathing at Jomtien Beach, or Lady Gaga shopping at Big C Extra. “Oh”, “wait a minute”, right now they can’t even attract poor people to come here for vacation, not in any sizeable numbers anyway, so I just wonder how they plan to accomplish this. Will they offer them a lifetime visa for a one-time non-refundable payment equal to financing a multi-million dollar estate with its own golf course on Maui? Or giving them each a rare white elephant with their name engraved in gold on its skull? Or taking them for a tour of the newly revamped Walking Street with its freshly-painted swing set for toddlers, and host of new bingo parlors with wheelchair access and free cotton candy for the super-wealthy jetsetters?

Truly wealthy people like to be pampered like modern-day Caesars. They relax playing golf on world-class golf courses, prefer swimming in pristine turquoise waters with breathtaking views, and dine on gourmet cuisine prepared by Michelin Star chefs. They already vacation at the most desirable paradise locations in the world, e.g., Maldives, Fiji, Bali, Ibiza, Monaco, Seychelles, Hawaiian Islands, Florence, Saint Tropez, etc., etc., etc. I just wonder how Thailand will change their minds and convince them that Thailand is the place-to-be.?!?!?!?

https://www.pattayamail.com/latestne...-expats-388987

2. 3 Users gave Like to post:

a447 (February 12th, 2022), christianpfc (February 12th, 2022), splinter1949 (February 13th, 2022)

Liked

Re: Pattaya Expat Market in Steep Decline

Well, 13 more months and I'm allowed back in.

Less farangs wandering around sounds great to me.

4. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Lovechef (February 17th, 2022), mr giggles (February 13th, 2022)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

...it will all bounce back once covid has been tamed...just a matter of time...

6. User who gave Like to post:

gerefan2 (February 12th, 2022)

Liked

They talk about wanting to attract wealthy tourists, but today I read some minister talking about a "travel bubble" with India.

Then if they did go for the super rich, what do they do with places like Pattaya ? Demolish it and start again ?

If they go for the moderately wealthy, where are the incentives ?
    How about a premium tourist visa and a premium retirement visa, that treats the holders well for a moderate fee? eg Entry without a Thai Pass, without testing and without any idiotic re-entry permits.
    And whilst they are at it, the contract for these Elite schemes needs to specify that entry to Thailand will be assured at least to the same extent that it is for Thais. An Elite visa isn't particularly elite, if holders are barred from entering Thailand at the peak of the pandemic, whilst Thais can enter.

8. 5 Users gave Like to post:

billyhouston (February 12th, 2022), christianpfc (February 12th, 2022), Dodger (February 12th, 2022), gerefan2 (February 12th, 2022), splinter1949 (February 13th, 2022)

Liked

Although this ship may have sailed now, because various other countries have already filled the void, but I'll stick with what I've said for years. They should offer a digital nomad / entrepreneur type of VISA< and transform Chiang Mai into a tech hub which they could very easily do.

Or at least they could have years ago, not so sure about anymore.

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

I know 3 expats that have put their house/condo up for sale for many reasons stated in the article as well as acknowledging that the Pattaya that lead them to retire here no longer exists.
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

11. User who gave Like to post:

Lovechef (February 17th, 2022)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by latintopxxx View Post

...it will all bounce back once covid has been tamed...just a matter of time...
    I tend to agree.

You can already see it bouncing back even with Omicron still active and some of the restrictions still in place.

No Platformed
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons View Post
    I know 3 expats that have put their house/condo up for sale for many reasons stated in the article as well as acknowledging that the Pattaya that lead them to retire here no longer exists.
    Distressed property sales?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons View Post

Unless these guys can hop aboard Elon Musk's Starship for a flight to the Red Planet I'm not quite sure what they're going to accomplish.

Every alternative to Thailand has been effected by this Pandemic to some degree...with very few exceptions. Life here is better than most places for the mere fact that the weather is great year-round...low cost-of-living...gay bars to lounge in...an ocean to frolic in...and plenty of boys to keep you entertained. Am I missing something here???

The grass always looks greener on the other side as they say, but I doubt it's any greener than the grass you're standing on.

15. 5 Users gave Like to post:

dab69 (February 13th, 2022), goji (February 12th, 2022), Kenny (February 12th, 2022), poshglasgow (February 16th, 2022), Ruthrieston (February 13th, 2022)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    Unless these guys can hop aboard Elon Musk's Starship for a flight to the Red Planet I'm not quite sure what they're going to accomplish.
    Whichever planet they go to, they are not going to find the equivalent of a 2005 Pattaya gay scene. All we can do is choose the best our planet offers now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    Am I missing something here???
    Some people are positive, others like a good whinge. Just watch what they do, as well as what they say.

17. User who gave Like to post:

Dodger (February 13th, 2022)