Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wine in Thailand

Wine in Thailand

Why is it wine is so expensive in Thailand? Coming from a wine producing area in Oz, and partial to a drop or three, I may be spoilt by being able to purchase wine at a very reasonable price at home, but I am perplexed by the unavailability of cheap (reasonably priced) wine in Thailand. Is there import duty on wine which causes the price to be expensive (exhorbitant in many cases), or is it because it is a relatively niche market for farang who are presumed to be able to afford inflated prices. I dont mind paying for something special, but when I look at the prices charged in most restaurants and hotels, they really are over the top. Dinner for four at a reasonably priced restaurant with a couple of bottles of wine becomes an expensive outing. Off the top of my head a common and pleasant red from Jacob's Creek (which seems to be popular with the Brits) may cost me $AUD10 at home (about 280 - 300 baht) yet in Pattaya I may pay anything from 1500 baht upwards (about $AUD50). I may be a bit out in my estimation, but you get the picture.
    One thing I have observed in Pattaya seems to be the dearth of bottle shops or the like where I may purchase reasonably priced wine - anyone enlighten me?

Tks

There is a 300 percent import tax on wine.
    What that means, of course, is you have to spend 1000 baht to get what would be a 300 baht bottle without the duty.
    Ridiculous, isn't it?
    Hilariously, I think Thai wine also carries a large duty.
    There is some kind of program to gradually reduce the tax on Aussie wine, over the years. Not sure of the exact numbers on it.

Why do they do it? My guess is that it is mostly and farang and rich Thai thing, and they need to discourage baht spending on luxury imports (for foreign exchange balance reasons), or at least make money on it. Same phenom of imported cars, which are shockingly expensive compared to Europe and the US.

Bottom line is that if you are expat in Thailand on a budget, you won't be drinking good wine very often.
    The best I found is the Wine Connection shop on 2nd road and sometimes specials at Foodland.

Thaiquila -- would love to hear about the gradual reduction of tax on (Aussie-only?) foreign wine, if you happen to see it published somewhere.

I love having wine with most meals -- and yes, I did once ask a waitress in Melbourne if she could recommend a nice breakfast wine, after the typical overnight flight to Oz!!! When I was posted to Bangkok, I found the Wine Connection there to be a bit pricey (maybe the one in Pattaya is more reasonable given lower overhead etc.).

What I did find was Villa Market - usuall the one on Sukhumvit between 33 and 35, but occasionally the one down by (Soi 6 is it??). They have a whole floor, temperature and light controlled, dedicated to wine. Each month they have 30 to 50 wines on sale, and the sale prices are good -- especially if you can survive without having European wines very often. After your first few cases, the staff get to know you, and will call your attention to new arrivals, or even 'extend' a sale if you have a particular favourite.

As I will now be commuting to Jomtien most weekends now, it would be great to hear from some other folks in the Pattaya area on where the best bargains can be had on vino! In Hong Kong, for example, I've joined a few wine clubs that bring great bargains, provided you buy by the case -- is there any such thing over here?

Liked: 1
    Thailand and Australia have signed a Free trade Agreement. TAFTA In about 14 years time there will be no taxes between the two countries and things are being phased to ease any pain. One problem is that their is both tax and duty on wines and the duty will remain. Details I don't know. Perhaps you would like to read the agreement and advise?

http://www.austchamthailand.com/AustCha ... nsorID=409
    I hope that my posts will be of use.

I don't really understand the difference between tax and duty for wine.
    Is the 300 percent a duty or a tax?

Wine Connection prices will probably be the same. There are no bargains for wine in Thailand. The only variable is the retail markup; they are all stuck with the 300 percent.

Wine, wine, wine!

Ok, I'm no expert, but for a fruity little cheap number, you can't go wrong in buying a box of red from a Thai supermarket. Forget all the expensive wines, get into the cheap plonk that get's you merry after two glases and completely sozzled after four.

Strange how different places have different things which are more or less expensive.

Thailand - good wine & good cheeses are expensive.
    Australia - I couldn't believe how much books cost unless you go second hand.
    UK - Fags (ciggies) seem to be the most expensive in the world not to mention 'cheap' B&B's costing more than many hotels elsewhere in the world.

Plonk?
    Might as well drink 100 Pipers!

Re: Wine, wine, wine!

Quote Originally Posted by Fatman41
    Ok, I'm no expert, but for a fruity little cheap number, you can't go wrong in buying a box of red from a Thai supermarket. Forget all the expensive wines, get into the cheap plonk that get's you merry after two glases and completely sozzled after four.
    Chateaux Box -- just say no!!!

Wine Suggestions in Chiang Mai

First, for all you wine lovers in Chiang Mai, don't miss Darling Wine Bar on Huay Gaew on the way to Doi Suthep (no longer on Nimanhemin!). They are now serving a fine dinner as well. Of course, all involved are FOD (Friends of Dorothy).

For me, I've found nothing beats a bottle of French or Italian "table wine". Best bet is the wine shop at Lotus on the Superhighway (odd name for the long-muddy ditch). If you are looking for something more unusual, try Tops in Kad Suan Gaew, but they are a bit high. Carrefour used to be fine, but they've let their stock whittle down and there isn't much remarkable left at a reasonable price.

There is nothing like Ozzie Wine... http://www.winelyltd.com/products.htm