Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mandatory travel insurance for Thailand

No Platformed
    Liked

Mandatory travel insurance for Thailand

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Mandatory travel insurance for Thailand

Well it is Thailand so that all just depends on how much of a bribe you attach with your initial enquiry I guess !?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Those policies only seem to be valid 30 days. With the quarantine requirements I doubt anyone is coming here for only 30 days.

4. User who gave Like to post:

goji (December 22nd, 2020)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

On a serious note though I know I certainly would never trust something as important as serious medical insurance to any such "complimentary" policy that I may have gotten free when buying something else. You can bet sure as shit that the insurers already cut the hell out of the policy and removed all the expense cover parts out in order to get it as cheap as possible for the company buying it for their promotion in the first place.

Dont know about any one else but each and any time I've actually stopped to read into those policies there were more dangerous (non covered) holes and get out clauses stuck in there than you'd ever care to see and it was obvious that they were working on probably the most basic cover possible ( which I'm guessing at our collective ages very few of us still get away with taking these days?)

So, maybe if you dont actually care that much about cover I guess such a document "might do" for waving at a visa desk to gain entry ( or not as per your original question) but I'd hate to depend on it if it was ACTUALLY needed perhaps ??

No Platformed
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Nirish guy View Post
    On a serious note though I know I certainly would never trust something as important as serious medical insurance to any such "complimentary" policy that I may have gotten free when buying something else. You can bet sure as shit that the insurers already cut the hell out of the policy and removed all the expense cover parts out in order to get it as cheap as possible for the company buying it for their promotion in the first place.
    To expand on that, are you saying that the “free” travel insurance policies that routinely go along with buying travel on a Gold, Platinum or Black credit card are equally worthless?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

well now that would all depend on what their stated terms are I guess, so maybe go and read the terms of each policy and that should give you your definitive answer, of course what one person deems acceptable another may not so good luck with that too i guess.

8. User who gave Like to post:

goji (December 22nd, 2020)

Liked

Anyone should read travel insurance policies & understand the exclusions.

Typical areas to watch:

1 Medical cover is for necessary emergency treatment only, so if you are sent to hospital for failing a covid test, as per quarantine rules, with no symptoms, this is usually not covered.

2 Medical cover is excluded if you are awaiting tests for an undiagnosed condition. The worst b*stard insurers exclude cover if you are awaiting a covid test to travel to Thailand.

3 No medical cover for accidents whilst under the influence of alcohol.

4 UK policies do not provide cover for driving any motorcycle,unless you have a full UK motorcycle license. Some cover you for riding as a passenger, if it's under 125cc

10. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Jellybean (December 22nd, 2020), Nirish guy (December 22nd, 2020)

Liked

I dont' know of any other countries requiring MED INS......

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by StevieWonders View Post
    To expand on that, are you saying that the “free” travel insurance policies that routinely go along with buying travel on a Gold, Platinum or Black credit card are equally worthless?
    The answer is YES.

The reason I say that is that most of us are beyond our "bronzed" years and entering our "golden years" where preexisting conditions abound. If your preexisting conditions are not covered adequately, the chances of you using your insurance to actually PAY for some medical expense are perhaps 10% at best -- if you break your nose in a drunk bar brawl, or get bitten by the tse-tse fly, then you may have some coverage. : ) Otherwise, forget it, those policies are written with so much wiggle room that they provide virtually no cover for us "kupuna" (Hawaiian for esteemed elders).

Another thing to consider your options here is how much patience you have. I did indeed file to my "global" insurance for a broken nose (no, not from a drunken beer brawl unfortunately). I filed the claim. Then waited. Then answered more interrogatories. Then waited some more. Then answered some more questions. Then submitted more billing information...

It is true that at the end of the day, A YEAR LATER, my claim was paid, almost in full. But my patience took a huge hit. I think I followed up with the insurer about 20 times during the process only to be told that they were working on it. I am sure they hoped I would give up, and I almost did, many times, but I am one stubborn buggah!

13. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Armando (December 23rd, 2020), christianpfc (December 23rd, 2020)

No Platformed
    Liked

The default position of every insurer is “not covered”. However that wasn’t the question. If you re-read what I wrote it was NOT “Is this policy worthwhile?” It was “Will THIS policy satisfy the requirements of the Thai authorities?” Understand?