List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Review: The Cheeseburger (Niddy's Nook)

Review: The Cheeseburger (Niddy's Nook)

When I come to Thailand, my stomach appreciates if I gradually transition into the less expensive local cuisine. Usually the first week or so, I consume a lot of the food I am used to. Being an avid reader of this board, I decided to try Niddy's Nook. In my humble opinion, this is what I found when I went there.

Niddy's Nook is very convenient to find. I arrived in the Day Night Area around 1:00 p.m. and walked past the nook and decided to walk up, but as i looked inside, I saw noone. I thought maybe it was still early and decided to walk around the Day Night Area and see what was going on (not much at 1:00 p.m.). I then returned to the Nook at 2:00 and looked through the doors for about 2 minutes and again saw neither employee or customer. Still I decided to walk inside. I sat down at one of the tables and all of a sudden out of nowhere I hear "Hello, how are you sir?" I looked around in shock, and from behind the bar arose someone to come over and take my order, a great trick!

Again, reading this message board a great number of times left me little decision on what to eat, I had to settle my curiousity and try the cheeseburger. I ordered it and a beer. As I waited for my beer, I looked around and found the nook to be pleasant, with nice artwork on the walls. It was very small, but cozy. As LMTU said in a previous post, there is a vent that smelled bad while I was outside, but I could not smell it inside.

The cheeseburger came and I found most of it quite good. It was a good size patty with cheese melted on top. I added to it some tomatoes, lettuce, and mustard and I found it all to be quite delicious, well seasoned, and juicy. The seasoning on the burger reminded me of the chain "In and Out" from the western US, very good.

I only had two issues with the plate I was served. First the bun was not that great. I appreciated it had sesame seeds on it, but the bread was a little hard. Toasting or even just warming the bread would add a great deal to the burger, instead the bun kind of made my mouth dry. Secondly, my french fries were overcooked. I realize they were frozen fries just refried, but when overcooked in oil they tend to get a little gummy and take in too much oil. The fries definitely were not something that I enjoyed, and I left most of them on my plate.

My total for my lunch: 235 Baht, which I felt was a little bit more than I think I should have paid for my meal. The Cheeseburger was quite good, but not 180 Baht worth of good. It had a great flavor, but for the value I may stick to McDonalds or Burger King. The beer of course was a beer. One nice touch was at the end of the meal I was poured from the bar a small cordial to end my meal. I will probably return to the nook to try some of their other food, but I will probably not again order the cheeseburger. While I do not highly recommend it, I definitely do recommend that you stop by and try it, who knows, you may like it, after all, this is just my opinion.

NIDDY'S NOOK

Atmosphere 8/10
    Service 7/10
    Food 7/10
    Value 5/10

HWT

Thanks for the generously objective review. How could anyone really love stale bread and overcooked, greasy, frozen fries sold at an absurd markup? The truth hurts.

Certainly doesn't sound twice as good as a meal at Burger King, for half the price.

Liked

Re: Review: The Cheeseburger (Niddy's Nook)

Quote Originally Posted by HeWentThere
    I sat down at one of the tables and all of a sudden out of nowhere I hear "Hello, how are you sir?" I looked around in shock, and from behind the bar arose someone to come over and take my order, a great trick!HWT
    Wow! American Teacher has hired John Cleese to work at Niddys! How did LMTU miss that piece of news?

Dboy

methinks no cheeseburgher has received

as many reviews as Niddy's Nook...there is only one way to settle this matter once and for all time..everybody should visit there once and write their impression.

I adore cheeseburgers so I intend to go..in plain clothes (a simple day frock , pearls , gloves and a small pillbox hat..I bet no-one realizes who I am and I will give the Truth !! as I always do.)

Why are people so obsessed with junk food like cheeseburgers ?. Don't they think they are not obese enough ?.

Re: Was there hand gratification service Included..........7

Quote Originally Posted by let me tell u
    NIDDY'S NOOK

Atmosphere, by HWT...Well I do not know what you awarded this on, but it did remind me a cafe, so I suppose it was as you expected in atmosphere.
    I found the restaurant to be clean, simply decorated but nice, and they had good music piping through. Although I was dining alone, I felt very comfortable, for me that is good atmosphere.

Service,,,,,,,,,,,for HWT... IтАЩm sure they did not have the light hand relief service when we was there service was nil.

My service was prompt and courteous. I only took off points for not being seen in the restaurant when I showed up, leaving me to wonder if they were open at all. Also, I should explain that to me a 7 is good in service, nothing was done overly special, but everything was prompt. As for waiting time for my cheesburger, i did not time it, but it was nothing I started getting concerned about. I think I had time to read one article in a Sticky Rice Magazine they had on the table and then it arrived.

As for the patty size, it was good enough for me. I am 5'11" and 150 lbs, so this turkey does not require a lot of stuffing.

If they roll out a new menu at Niddy's Nook, I will definately stop by and try it out. As I said before, I would return and probably try out some of their hopefully delicious Thail offerings.

wonderful fair critic of your last 3 observations now looking for more.
    Thank you, as I try new places I will do my best, I am however on a budget, so I can't be trying every expensive steakhouse in Pattaya to give a review, but if someone is absolutely dying to hear what I think of a place, let me know, it's always good to splurge once in a blue moon.

As for the obsession with the cheesburger, it's not just here in Pattaya. I remember when the San Francisco Chronicle went looking for the best burger in San Francisco. In and Out Burger made the top 10. I think the winner was the Zuni Cafe, with their homemade pickle, gorgonzola cream sauce, and served on focaccia. Yumm.

HWT

Liked

Gastronomy, Niddy's, and LMTY ...

Thanks for your review HeWentThere. Well thought-out and quite fair. A breath of fresh air regarding Niddy's for sure.

Not sure if you have been reading LMTY's on-going commentaries about Niddy's (for months now), but they are as far removed from 'objective' as it's possible to get . . . his stuff on Niddy's should be taken seriously by absolutely no one. (NOTE: some of his other posts on Places-Not-Niddy are reasonably informative, but unfortunately are only marginally coherent).

After reading the barely-disguised animosity in his posts on Niddy's, it's almost impossible to not come to the conclusion that there is personal Bad Blood between Chris and LMTY, and if that is the case then ignoring LMTY's writings regarding Niddy's should be the default stance most impartial folks should take.

As an aside, I completely agree with the anti-cheeseburger slant taken by a poster back further on this thread.
    Cheeseburgers are dull as dishwater (if not toxic) insofar as "food" in general is concerned, and arguing about the pros & cons of their "quality" in any greasy slophouse does a great disservice to culinary reviews as a whole.

Cheers ...
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

I don't agree. I eat maybe one cheesburger every decade, but I can assure there is such a thing as an etherial cheeseburger. I know, because I had one once. For the most part, cheeseburgers are junk, fast, food, but they don't have to be. Of course, most people are not willing to pay the price for a gourmet version of something so common. As far as the Nook, the owner boasts he serves the town's best cheeseburgers, so naturally it is on cheeseburgers he is going to be JUDGED, until the time he stops that silly claim.

That review is similar to mine

DELETED