Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: No country for old men?

Banned
    Liked

No country for old men?

I had some interesting conversations with ex-pats and potential ex-pats recently, most in their seventies. One Westerner/Thai couple had decided to relocate to Thailand when the Westerner retired. They built a house for themselves on the outskirts of Yasothon, the Thai’s home town, and on the Thai family’s land. I’m told the house is generously proportioned and airconditioned. They lived there for three months in all before the heat became too much for the Westerner, and they returned home. They had not sold their home in Farangland. The Westerner also complained of the comparative loneliness although that wasn’t the most significant factor. Since returning home the Westerner has had a heart attack and is convalescing. Not only won’t they be returning to live in Thailand, the Thai says he has no intention of returning to live when his boyfriend dies either; “things are much better where I am”. His aged parents are living in the house

A second Westerner/Thai couple relocated to Chiang Mai from Farangland, selling their property there and using the proceeds to set themselves up in Thailand. A couple of years after arriving the Westerner was diagnosed with bowel cancer; chemotherapy cost him in excess of a million baht. He is, in effect, a permanent invalid. They would like to return to Farangland to live but have no wherewithal to do so

A third Westerner has lived in Thailand for a number of years, but contracted HIV shortly after he relocated. He’s the most fortunate of the four in the sense that his Farangland health insurance does cover him for most medical expenses in Thailand. He originally bought a condo in Jomtien but realised after a few months that having only sexpats for company was OK for a holiday but not sufficiently stimulating intellectually now he’s a permanent resident. He’s relocated to Bangkok. Needless to say, Pattaya condo prices meant selling the condo resulted in a capital loss. For his age (78) he’s in remarkably good health and for the most part enjoys living in Thailand. He has no plans or even thoughts about living elsewhere. He took pride in showing me his large collection of dildoes

A fourth Westerner (in his mid sixties) owns his own condo in Bangkok but spends extended periods in Farangland, where he also owns a condo. He rents both out on AirBNB or similar (Favstay in Thailand) while he is away and has a fund of amusing stories about his guests. He was telling me about his most recent Bangkok guest and contemporary, a Thai who does the reverse – lives in Farangland but spends short periods in Thailand. He thinks the Thai must have an umbrella fetish or is very forgetful. He found nine in his condo when he came back from his latest trip. As a diabetic he relies on medication that is expensive in Thailand but subsidised in his home country, so stocks up on his trips home. He insures his trips to Thailand via travel insurance

2. 6 Users gave Like to post:

Asia Traveler (June 14th, 2018), ktq (June 5th, 2020), Oliver2 (June 14th, 2018), paborn (June 14th, 2018), poshglasgow (June 16th, 2018), werner (June 17th, 2018)

Liked

Re: No country for old men?

A fair discription of the sort of possibility that keeps me in the US with visits to Thailand

4. User who gave Like to post:

werner (June 17th, 2018)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Agreed. I considered relocating in 2004 but the more I examined the consequences and heard the views of ex-pats (including those on this forum), the more convinced I became that Thailand is a place to visit and enjoy, not an appropriate home for a Londoner. Or at least this one. Three visits of three weeks at a time each year satisfies my needs and I suspect the arrangement improves rather than hinders my relationship with P., something that may sound counter-intuitive.

6. User who gave Like to post:

poshglasgow (June 16th, 2018)

Liked

This is quite an interesting topic. I think it goes back to everyone has to live somewhere, so if you have the means to, you should live where you are happiest. No two people are the same in this regard. We are the opposite of what is described here. I am American/my husband Thai. We lived in America, did the marriage thing, and now we are back here in Thailand and loving life. We go back to America 3 weeks in the summer and 3 weeks in the winter. Beyond that, we couldn't imagine living there full time again. My father has moved here to Thailand now and we take care of him. It is a happy arrangement for us, although I know many foreigners that live here who desperately want to get back to their home country.

The problem, as I see it, is jobs. Outside of America, jobs are hard to come by in the West, particularly if you have lived abroad for a number of years. For those who are considering moving here, that is a major consideration. Giving up a job is a major life decision. If you end up hating Thailand after a few years, you might find that a job is difficult to find once again. Going back to America - the cost of health care is beyond astronomical. In fact, I equate it with buying a new car in Thailand. Count on spending 4 or 5 times more than the damn thing is worth! Americans do not get health insurance as a benefit - we have to pay for it (mind you, we also pay less tax than Europeans). That being said, I was an upper middle class wage earner in the U.S., and the cost of health insurance was just about to kill me. Living here, I get the best of both worlds. Medical care here is surprisingly good and cheap - I only go to well regarded private hospitals. I now have health insurance from a company in the UK that covers me everywhere EXCEPT for the U.S. (the British aren't stupid mind you!). I am thankful to have the health insurance, because as the OP mentioned here, the cost of cancer treatment should it become necessary can wipe a person out financially. In the sad event I get cancer, I am taking up residence at Bumrungrad in Bangkok with the husband in tow. We will have a grand old time in between chemo treatments, courtesy of my paid up health insurance policy! (I'm not a very funny guy - so that is my lighthearted effort of making light of a serious ailment).

Anyway - Thailand, for us, is the place to be. We have our friends here, a nice laid back lifestyle, and the ability to go back to the U.S. twice a year to get our fill of Western culture (not that I am desperate for that). For others, it will be the exact reverse situation that appeals to them. To each his own.

Cheers -

8. 4 Users gave Like to post:

a447 (June 14th, 2018), Asia Traveler (June 14th, 2018), poshglasgow (June 16th, 2018), werner (June 17th, 2018)

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by kkjason View Post
    Anyway - Thailand, for us, is the place to be. We have our friends here, a nice laid back lifestyle, and the ability to go back to the U.S. twice a year to get our fill of Western culture (not that I am desperate for that). For others, it will be the exact reverse situation that appeals to them. To each his own.
    All well and good kkjason, but a major point of the post is about ex-pats too old to get any sort of health insurance in Thailand. What is your recommendation for them?

Liked

As I said clearly, barring cancer and a few other major issues, health care in Thailand is cheap and quality to begin with - so what's the issue? I know many older ex-pats here who are here specifically because of the low cost of healthcare in comparison to their home country. Example: An American in Khon Kaen recently had a heart attack. He was rushed to the hospital and survived - needed to have heart surgery - had it done at a private hospital and recovery was about three weeks. All told, the bill came to 150,000 baht (less than $5,000 USD). Most health insurance policies in America today cost more than than just for the premium, before your copays and deductibles.

Beyond that, many health insurance companies will continue to provide coverage provided that you have a policy issued before the age of 65. An example is the policy I have with Russell Williams, and others I know who are with Cigna Global. So, older ex pats can continue with health insurance if they plan ahead. Again - it is personal preference. I still know many people who will argue that the healthcare in Thailand sucks. You can't convince them otherwise - so to them, my recommendation would be to stay away. For the sensible person, however, that should not be a reason to not live here. If you don't enjoy the lifestyle year round, then that would be enough to live somewhere else in my humble opinion.

Banned
    Liked

As I said clearly, barring cancer and a few other major issues, health care in Thailand is cheap and quality to begin with - so what's the issue?
    I suspect - only a suspicion mind you - that my correspondent in Chiang Mai didn't plan to have bowel cancer; my friend with diabetes also didn't plan to develop a chronic condition that would cost him in excess of 1,000 baht a week in medication if he sourced his drugs in Thailand. None of us know what's around the corner (and that includes speeding drivers that can leave people as quadraplegics, for example). But perhaps Dr Pangloss is practising medicine in Khon Kaen?

Liked

If one is going to worry about every little thing that can possibly come up in life then, no, moving to ANY country away from one's home country is not a good idea. It has nothing to Thailand per say. Also - as I said - insurance is most definitely a possibility if people plan ahead. I certainly did. I am not a spring chicken either. I'm old (and getting older by the day) and this is where I live. If I get cancer, I'm covered. Don't blame me because your 'correspondent' in Chiang Mai failed to plan properly for his old age. That is on him - not the rest of us.

Liked

Also - as I clearly mentioned - it depends on where you come from. You mentioned 1,000 baht a week for medication in Thailand. Hell - in America - I know some people who pay more than that, even with insurance. So, again, what is your point? For some older ex-pats in Thailand, that would be considered a bargain. In addition, many people in western countries are without insurance. So, if they remain in their home country and get bowel cancer, what are they going to do?

Banned
    Liked

Also - as I clearly mentioned - it depends on where you come from. You mentioned 1,000 baht a week for medication in Thailand. Hell - in America - I know some people who pay more than that, even with insurance. So, again, what is your point? For some older ex-pats in Thailand, that would be considered a bargain. In addition, many people in western countries are without insurance. So, if they remain in their home country and get bowel cancer, what are they going to do?
    I think we're all aware that the US is a 4th World country when it comes to looking after its own

15. User who gave Like to post:

Oliver2 (June 15th, 2018)