Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: December 2017

Banned
    Liked

December 2017

Any tourist hoping for a merry christmas 2017 in Thailand should take note of the dates mentioned in this story http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gene...-late-december

Liked

Re: December 2017

A useful post frequent. Plenty of notice and the country will virtually close down for those five days.

Liked

Exclamation Re: December 2017

Those five days preceded by a weekend, followed by a weekend, followed by New Years Day.

Adds up to ten. Travelers and locals will definitely need to plan accordingly.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I doubt if it will impact tourists much, although the local TV channels will have saturation coverage and some Thais from outside Bangkok will come to the capital and probably book hotel rooms. I certainly don't see the country closing down!

Remember there was virtually no disruption during the last major cremation of the King's sister, Princess Galyani, which took place between 14 and 19 November 2008, I can't see there will much this time. Remember, too, that the cremation itself only covers one day - December 26. Events on the other days basically take place privately inside the Grand Palace Throne Hall. The only major disruption, apart from to traffic around Sanam Luang, is likely to be the closure of the Grand Palace complex to tourists. I certainly don't expect there will be 5 extra days of public holiday! One at most.

Liked

Thanks; dates to avoid....even more so than Songkran!
    By the way, do we know the dates of the coronation yet? that's another few days to avoid.

Liked

The bars were told to close for three days during the Kings sisters" funeral. Most reopened by the second day and all ignored the third. However this is likely to be a whole new level. A once in a generation event that is likely to be fully milked.

Liked

Hmm, definitely won't be booking those dates.

Banned
    Liked

Yet another reason for the junta to delay the election. The coronation will provide another.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Apologies! I was not considering the bars and booze when I read the OP and its attachment.

Liked

In Chiang Mai, my recollections of the Sister's cremation in 2008 were the bars and many restaurants were shut for a full three days. A lot of restaurant and bar workers are from villages well outside the city. They take the opportunity to go home - even if owners wanted to open on the third day they'd have no staff!

Conversely, out in the villages life continues as normal on no booze/entertainment days. Most people drink at home so they just stock up and many shops ignore the ban anyway.
    Chiang Mai Connoisseur - [url=http://www.gayinchiangmai.com/News/]www.gayinchiangmai.com[/url] and [url=http://www.bontong.com/]www.bontong.com[/url]