Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Travel Insurance

Liked

Travel Insurance

I made the plunge on a new Tablet PC and plan to bring it with me to Thailand. I also plan to buy a Treo 650 GSM phone to use there. I have a Treo 650 CDMA phone that I use here.

Can any of you guys tell me if there is a company out there that will insure my computer & phone from loss or theft while on vacation?? I wonder if I can get my homeowners insurance to cover.....

Well look at my new PC. I didn't get it yet. I ordered it from Costco.

Intel Core Duo Processor T2400 (1.83 GHz) / 1GB of DDR2 533MHz SDRAM / DVD SuperMulti Drive / 12.1" LCD / 100GB Hard Drive / 802.11a/b/g

Toshiba M405-S8003 Portege Notebook Computer - This notebook is a powerful portable computer that also makes a great Desktop replacement. Packing an Intel Core Duo Processor T2400 (1.83 GHz), 1GB of DDR2 SDRAM, 100GB hard drive, and DVD SuperMulti drive, there's not much this machine can't do. Video editing, PC gaming, photo manipulation, Audio editing, DVD movie production, CD/DVD burning - all of this and more can be at your fingertips with the Toshiba M405-S8003.
    Includes: Microsoft Windows XP Tablet Edition 2005, AC adapter, Lithium-Ion battery, Microsoft Office OneNote 2003, Microsoft Works, InterVideo WinDVD, InterVideo WinDVD Creator 2 Platinum, & more.
    Intel Core Duo Processor T2400 (1.83 GHz)
    2MB of L2 Cache
    667MHz FSB
    1GB of DDR2 533MHz SDRAM (expandable to 4GB)
    100GB 5400RPM SATA HDD
    DVD SuperMulti Drive - (write speeds) up to 2x DL DVD-R, 8x DVD-R, 2x DVD-RW, 2.4x DL DVD+R, 4x DVD+R, 4x DVD+RW, 3x DVD-RAM, 24x CD-R, & 16x CD-RW
    DVD SuperMulti Drive - (read speeds) up to 8x DVD-ROM and 24x CD-ROM
    12.1" TFT Active-Matrix LCD
    Native Resolution - 1024x768
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 with up to 128MB of shared video Memory (memory is shared with the main system's RAM)
    Built-in 802.11a/b/g Wireless Networking Adapter
    SigmaTel 24-bit Stereo Sound
    Built-in Stereo Speakers
    Built-in Microphone
    56K V.92 Data/fax Modem
    1 PC Card Slot
    5-in-1 Bridge Media Adapter - supports Secure Digital (SD), Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, & xD Picture Card (SD slot supports SDIO)
    Ports - 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet, 1 Firewire, 3 USB 2.0, 1 VGA, 1 Mic Input, 1 Headphone Out, & 240-pin Docking Connector

These are the good'ol days

Liked

Not about insurance, but . . .

. . . . you will love your Toshiba laptop.

Mine is quite similarly powered, but not a swivel screen.
    Purchased in January this year, anything which has gone wrong with it ~ very few things ~ have been my own fault (as a professional Computer Idiot).
    It's my only computer now, having deep-sixed that space-hogging monster which used to dwell on my little desk. Never go back to a desktop model.

For myself, the smaller keyboard took some time to come to terms with . . . I made a lot more spelling errors than before, but it's coming around.

One suggestion ... pick up a small cordless mouse (Microsoft makes a sweet little scroller with a 2 inch USB snap in receiver for about $25). The touch pads on ALL laptops (not just Toshiba's version) are annoying as hell.

Cheers ...
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Liked
    I don't know if I will ditch my desktop but I plan to move it out of my bedroom and into another part of the house. I think I will let my desktop become a server for the digital projector I want to install.

I have a wireless network here and I am looking forward to sitting up in bed tapping at the tablets keyboard... AND it will be perfect for using on the beach. I found that I can get a card for my pc that will let me connect to the Internet through the cellular system and allow me to be wireless in Thailand and on the beach so I can finally sit on the beach and surf the net and write my family and friends

Re: Travel Insurance

Quote Originally Posted by bucknaway
    I wonder if I can get my homeowners insurance to cover.....
    Maybe. I've found not all are the same. Check your H.O. policy. Also check Auto Club, AARP (I just threw that in for the hell of it!) & your auto insurance; some (Used to, anyway) have coverage, though may be limited; for certain items while on any kind of trip. (Applicable) deductible will come into play & there may be a limit, especially: cash & jewelery. Some insurance policies may not cover a loss outside your home country. I believe a proof of loss\ police report, whether stolen or lost, would be required in any case. A sales receipt or appraisal--Especially, jewelry--may be required.

In Bangkok one of the places to go to file a report is the police station on Wireless Road near, & same side of the road as, the American passport office: where you'd go if you lost your passport and, as I recall, you'd also need to file a police report if you lost your passport--Plus a trip(s) to Thai Immigration Authority (Soi Suan Phlu--Off Sathorn Tai Road, I think.) if you were traveling with a (Extended) visa.
    I know you didn't ask that last bit but thought I'd mention it.

(In for a penny...) If you ever lose, not only, Travelers Checks but anything you might also check with American Express*. (Don't expect to have the checks replaced with "a quick phone call." Expect two round-trips to their office and a two-page report to fill out*--But--AmEx found it! I was saved having to get, among other things; a new passport & new visa @ about $150 + taxis + extra days in Bangkok + phone calls to change bookings + aggravation (Priceless!).

*Have copies of all your travel documents: Passport, visa, tickets\e-ticket print-out, boarding pass (Stubs), credit\bank cards (Including the back side), T'ck numbers, blood type, prescriptions, incl. eye-glass. (Receipts?) You never know when you may wish you had.

You might consider having I.D. info etched on your valuables. And photos of your valuables--With you & at home.

I'm thinking of getting a new laptop.What did you pay?

Liked
    The one I got was from Costco. It was $1799.99. The advantage of buying it from Costco is that they give me 6 months for a full refund. They only sell this model online and only seem to ship inside the USA.

Liked

Computer Insurance

Since homeowners insurance normally EXCLUDES your computers unless you purchase a rider, I have a computer insurance policy with Safeware (6500 Busch BLVD, STE 233, Columbus, OH 43229 800-800-1492). Hardware and software are covered for replacement. There are a few exclusions, such as if your laptop is stolen from a car.

Liked
    So much good information here Thanks guys!

Re: Travel Insurance

Quote Originally Posted by Edith
    [

*Have copies of all your travel documents: Passport, visa, tickets\e-ticket print-out, boarding pass (Stubs), credit\bank cards (Including the back side), T'ck numbers, blood type, prescriptions, incl. eye-glass. (Receipts?) You never know when you may wish you had.
    On that point it is always a good idea to scan all of those important documents and keep them on one of the web based Email servers such as Hotmail or Yahoo. Both my own and my B/f's documents are all safely stored this way and we simply add any further documents as the need arises.

Should the worst happen and you do lose something you can retrieve a print out of the documents from any Internet enbabled computer wherever you are in the world and possibly save yourself a lot of grief and time.

Liked
    I put a security lock in my lap top. Most have a security port, you then loop it around something in the hotel room. I have mine locked around a desk, so if someone breaks in he will have to carry the whole desk out the door with the lap top attached past the very cute white uniformed security guard who will no doubt hold the door for the theft and tell him to have a nice day.

They are kinda hard to find. I found one on the top floor at the Silom Complex. Panthip must have some somewhere but I ran out of time last trip there looking.
    E Dok Tong