Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mobile phones / SIM cards ...

Liked

Mobile phones / SIM cards ...

OK, please reply to me like I'm an idiot.
    This subject is not an original one, though I cannot recall this particular question being asked.

In the spirit of The Fourty Year Old Virgin (which I watched last night: just OK, nothing great, some very funny moments, stay away if waxing hair makes you squeemish) ... a confession ... I've never had a mobile phone.

I've never wanted one.
    I disdain dudes who wip it out in coffee shops and restaurants. I think there's seldom anything as rude as a person who takes calls in the middle of an in-person conversation ~ even if it's about nothing.

But I'll be getting one when in Thailand long term, at least for a test run for cost. If I can stay away from regular utility applications and associated monthly bills in so far as it it makes sense I will. Using a mobile phone as my "regular" phone would just be an experiment. If it becomes wildly expensive I'll go the home connection route.

So .. about these SIM cards. Aproximately how long (i.e. how many minutes I guess is the question) would ~ for instance ~ a 500 baht SIM card last (1) for local calls, (2) LD calls within Thailand, (3) LD overseas calls to ~ or instance ~ Canada?

Cheers ...

Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Liked
    Good Question. I am looking forward to reading some answers....

These are the good'ol days

Actually, I have always loved the old concept of two tin cans connected with a string...but that is not too good for long distance.

Sorry Smiles...can you tell that I have nothing to say today? Just felt like giving an answer which is like most of my knowledge of the Kingdom...i don't know nothing.

I usually take an old cell phone with me because the boys usually talk me out of anything nice. :twisted:

Liked

phones

Smiles, your confusing a sim card with a value added on card.
    To answer some questions
    1. for service provider Orange 1 baht per min
    2. In network in Thailand anywhere 1 baht per min
    3. LD overseas varies, last call I made to US from Thailand, about 15 minutes was 60B by dialing with a 7 before the county code. Without the 7, it goes to another LD provider that cost a lot more.

I use one of the basic models cell phones and can't see the need for all the extras, bluetooth, camera, smart video, mp3 and on and on.
    E Dok Tong

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by TrongpaiExpat
    " ... your confusing a sim card with a value added on card ... "
    Then what is a SIM card? I was of the understanding it was the little credit-card type thing which you purchase with varying amounts, and which last the length of time it takes to go through it, then you buy another card.

Am I wrong?
    Why is all this so confusing?? :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: I'm obviously not really understanding something ... but what???? Just so you know, Suphot attempts to explain all this stuff to me and I'm still lost ... go away in a pout ... no sanook tonight, honey!

Cheers ...

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainwalker99
    The calling card/money card/phone card is what pays for the calls.
    A telephone card, or phone card for short, is a small card, usually resembling a credit card, used to pay for telephone services. The exact system for payment, and the way in which the card is used to place a phone call, depend on the overall telecommunication system. But in general a phone card is purchased with a specific balance, from which the cost of calls made is deducted. Phone cards are disposable; when the balance is exhausted, you buy a new card, rather than having the old one re-filled
    Thanks RainWalker!!! That's exactly what I was looking for.
    So ~ the 2nd part of my original question ~ assuming very limited local calling, and (let's say) 2 or 3 short LD calls back to Canada every month . . . would the calling card route be substantially less (or more) cost than going through the hassle of applying for and using a regular wired home phone?

Cheers ...

Liked
    When I am in Thailand I use a sim card (phone number) I bought from 1 2 call. I put the sim card in my unlocked GSM phone. Then I buy minutes from 1 2 call. By punching in the number on the phone card the minutes are transferred to the phone. That's it. When I run low on minutes I buy more.

http://www.happy.co.th/ (DTAC)
    Various pre-paid pay as you go products. Best deal on this site for long calls appears to be 5bt for the first minute, then 0.25bt for each minute thereafter. Other products also available.

I don't remember where one buys dtac cards from though. Tried the AIS site but it was very slow.

Liked

bump

Ok then, anyone else has an opinion as to which company's service is best for the following scenario? Tourist in Thailand, mainly receiving phone calls from overseas, and making occasional calls in Thailand and overseas? I plan to bring my unlocked GSM phone during my next trip.

Orange, DTAc, AIS?

home country mobiles in LOS

Until this last trip I have always carried my mobile from home to LOS.

Just over 2 years ago I had my mobile stolen from my hotel room at poseiden, and was distraught for some days. I reported the theft and had some satisfaction that my telco were able to immobilise the set so it could not be used with a new simcard.

Just last week before coming home I was in the MBK store in BKK and they had signs up they were able to unblock, change passwords and so on for all mobiles. I asked a question and was shocked that they could reactivate any immobilised mobile without any questions

As I had just upgraded my mobile before my last trip, I took advice from here to take an old mobile and buy a sim card in 7/11 on arrival. This gave me a thai number and 500 baht of calls. I think about 750b all up.

The savings on calls home huge, the convenience on making local calls and having a number for locals to ring me, great. Walking into a 7/11 to top up when needed no inconvenience

You dont need to understand the technicalties but if you can get a cheap old mobile before you leave even better. As for the rest, the staff did everything for me in seconds.