List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Americans at Thai gay-friendly hotels....

Liked

Americans at Thai gay-friendly hotels....

I have just returned to my work [ugh....]after several nights of great fun in Bangkok.
    Yes, the go-go bars were alive, and I enjoyed myself....

Now for my comments: I hope that this does NOT sound anti-American. I lived about 7 years of my life in the U.S. and have many American friends. For the record: I am European but have lived all over the world.

During my trip to Bangkok, I stayed two nights at Tarntawan Hotel and two nights at Pinnacle Hotel. At both places, chatty, elderly, gay Americans sat down near my breakfast table and started talking away and tried to socialize with me.

[I know that they did NOT do so to pick me up. I am almost 70, a bit overweight, and well-past my handsome youth.]

I did NOT want to be unfriendly or rude, but why do Americans like to talk to strangers so much? And why do they think that everyone wants to hear their complaints about the recent American election? Yes, Trump is awful, but I do have to hear their diatribes? Why can't I just enjoy my coffee and a good book, and get ready for an evening of hot action?

Have I become a cantankerous old man because I do NOT like small talk with strangers?
    Is there some polite way to tell Americans that I do not want to socialize?
    Is it necessary for all gay elderly farang travelers in Bangkok to be friendly with each other?

Liked

Re: Americans at Thai gay-friendly hotels....

Is it necessary for all gay elderly farang travelers in Bangkok to be friendly with each other?
    I don't know if it's necessary, but I think maybe some feel a sense of camaraderie - they are all there for the same thing.

I'm also not one for small talk; I put up with it in the gogo bars because I have an end in mind, so to speak.

I've met lots of Americans in my travels over the years and apart from one or two (some can guess who one of them is) I've found them to be lovely people. A little ignorant of things non -American perhaps, but lovely nonetheless.

On a recent bus trip along the coast in Croatia my friend and I found ourselves sitting next to a couple from Wisconsin. I was reluctant to get involved in a conversation but we ended up having a great discussion about this and that and a long, boring trip was made bearable.

Liked

a447,
    Thanks for your comments.

Well, if I were on a long, boring bus trip in Croatia, I too might enjoy small talk with Americans. But Bangkok is not a long, boring trip...

Perhaps I should not generalize, but yes, most Americans are friendly and mean well. And yes, we elderly, gay farang should have a sense of camaraderie, but at 9:00 in morning? I am NOT a morning person, and need to wake up....

Liked

I suggest you wear a Do Not Disturb sign around your neck at breakfast werner. That should fix your problem for sure.

5. User who gave Like to post:

francois (November 14th, 2016)

Liked

The Americans seem to have the unique ability of exporting their least suitable citizens as tourists.

Back in their natural habitat, the east coast Americans are generally unashamed to be seen trying to get rich, while those on the west coast are generally unashamed about flaunting their wealth. Those who live in between have often never left the country, and are often massively uninformed about the rest of the world, but aside from that can be some of the nicest and most hospitable folk on the planet..

Liked

Americans are nice, and I have great American friends.

But some Americans are sooooooo talkative, even with strangers. I much prefer the more reserved nature of many Europeans [and Asians].

Moreover, Americans often think the world revolves around the U.S. and that non-Americans are idiots. Yes, yes, chatty Americans, I understand your damn electoral college system, and I do not want a lecture about it at 9:00 AM at breakfast at a gay-friendly hotel in Bangkok. Yes, yes, I understand that some Americans hate Trump, and I do not want a detailed description about how you opposed him.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by werner View Post

Have I become a cantankerous old man because I do NOT like small talk with strangers?
    Is there some polite way to tell Americans that I do not want to socialize?
    Yes, to answer your question, you are a cantankerous old man. However all you have to do is start jabbering in your native language. Or, at least, "Me no speaka English"

9. 3 Users gave Like to post:

colmx (November 15th, 2016), Dax (November 15th, 2016), steveky (November 16th, 2016)

Liked

Just poolitely tell them, "sorry, but if you don't mind, I'm quite involved with my book at the moment"? Who cares if they take offense, as you'll most likely never see them again in your life.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    I suggest you wear a Do Not Disturb sign around your neck at breakfast

You'll have to find a larger two-by-four I'm afraid Jellybean.That less-than-subtle personal space stop sign has never been known to hold back a needy American from detailing his/her entire life story over a bowl of chocolate coco puffs ... and I mean 'entire'!
    While your thinking peace and quiet, he's thinking next target.

I hear you. Sitting in a funky coffee shop, in an out-of-the way corner reading the Globe and Mail (et al) is a small heaven to me ... but apparently not to the dude who decides I need a friend. Desperately.
    "Fuck off" is unfortunately the end game in unwanted tete-a-tetes.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

12. User who gave Like to post:

Brad the Impala (November 15th, 2016)

Liked

werner,it could have been much worse! Perhaps some snotty French queens having a spate or a couple of Germans shouting at each other as they are apt to do, or worse, some drunken Russians at 9 am. Since you speak excellent English they likely thought you to be a fellow American or Canadian?