List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cebu / Davao in the Philippines - Anyone got any hotel / bar info / general tips for there please - much appreciated if so ?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Cebu / Davao in the Philippines - Anyone got any hotel / bar info / general tips for there please - much appreciated if so ?

Hi guys,

Just asking has anyone any updates / info / bar info / hotel recommendations etc re Cebu ( or Davao ) in the Philippines please ?

I'm heading there at the start of Jan 17 for a week or so of R&R (alone :-)) then flying down to Davao to join up with my PH BF there ( who's flying home to visit his wider family circle for a few weeks) and to join him there for a week or so for a bit of sightseeing and to join him at his mothers birthday party ( oh what joy - not ! :-)

So, for "my" part of the trip and for when I'm alone all I know about Cebu is that the area around "Mango Square" is the happening place apparently ( both gay and straight ) and that's where the / any action might be found, however as this info has been provided to me by said BF i thought I should just maybe ask around and double check / get some sound bar info etc, just in case he's cleverly sending me to the City's convent area for a week to ensure I behave myself ( not that a convent would be enough to ensure that anyway ! :-)

So, any tips or advice about any aspect of the trip will be greatly received and appreciated ?

Ha, my only current concern is that I only decided to go today on a total whim when I seen a "cheapy flight" popping up on sky scanner with Kuwait Airways !? It was then only AFTER I'd booked the flights that I bothered to actually look up and read a few reviews of the airline and OMG !!! I think I can honestly say that Kuwait Airways has the very worst reviews of ANY airline I've EVER read ! :-)

So, I guess at least I know what to expect now but from reading what others have said about them if they even GET me there I'll be surprised and if it's in ANY comfort and on the same day that they've claimed I'll be even more amazed perhaps - and the worst part is that they don't even serve alcohol on their flights to numb the pain !

Oh well, all just another part of life's great adventure to come I guess ! :-)

Liked

Re: Cebu / Davao in the Philippines - Anyone got any hotel / bar info / general tips for there please - much appreciated if so ?

I think you will have a great time in Cebu and Davao, even without your Other Half.
    It sounds like you will be Cebu City during Sinulog. 11 January 2017 to 20 January 2017
    It is the major festival in Cebu. Supposed to be a Religious Festival but it is more like Mardi Gras in the US.
    Parades, dancing in the streets, and crazy times at the bars and discos.
    Mango is still the main place to Party, both STR8 and Gay. I think the major disco is Alchology.
    Find a sweet Pinoy will not be a problem. Just be prepared to pick up the bill of him and ALL of his friends!! but you know about that. PlanetRomeo is the best web site for meeting men. But many of my friends use WhatsApp.
    As to hotels, my recommendation is the Best Western LEX on N. Escario St. It is near the Capitol and just a 10 minute walk down Juana Osmena to Mango. Or you can try the Crown Regency Towers on Jones. It is also a good location. There are also less expensive hotels near Mango. Try the Century, the St. Mark, and the Casa Rosario Pension House. But you had better book NOW. Most hotels are full during Sinulog.
    Now Davao. Again many places to enjoy there. The entertainment zone was along Torres Street. But the former Mayor, Pres Duterte, made most places close at Midnight. I do not know if it is the same now. As to hotels, I recommend the SEDA. It is top quality and adjoining the major mall, Abreeza Mall. In the Downtown area are many hotels at varying rates. And many good places to eat near People's Park. For the beach,take the pump-boat across to Samal Island. Many new beach parks there. Check out Bluejaz Beach and Waterpark. They have great water slides and several ziplines. The guys love it!! Again to meet guy, use PlanetRomeo!!
    Have a great visit.
    If you want recommendations on places to go outside of Cebu City or Davao, just let me know.
    INGAT!!
    Last edited by GWMinUS; November 5th, 2016 at 11:27.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Cebu / Davao in the Philippines - Anyone got any hotel / bar info / general tips for there please - much appreciated if so ?

GWMinUS - thank you SO much for all that great info and it's also great as in doing my own bit of online research you've just confirmed / reassured my probable choices, right down to you actually recommended the two hotels I've centred in on !!!

My Ph BF here also read post and agrees that your advice is bang on in every regard ! You obviously know your stuff !!

See, this is just one of the reasons why this board and we its posters are invaluable to each other sometimes for info such as this.

Many thanks again.

Liked

Walang anuman! or You are Welcome
    So now we expect a great trip Report!!
    I have visited the Philippines many times.
    But never have been to Sinulog. I thought of doing it this coming January.
    However, my good friend there told me I would have a very hard time with the big crowds.
    I have a bad leg...
    So I am booked for February. I hope the new President does not invoke a US $100 fee for a Visa...
    INGAT!!

Senior member RonanTheBarbarian's Avatar
    Liked

Be careful out there NIrish.

The US has just issued a terror warning for Cebu - they say that terrorist groups are planning kidnappings on central Philippines islands, including Cebu.

Story from the Australian newspaper, The Age:

http://www.theage.com.au/world/us-te...06-gsj0xo.html

You dont want to end up like the Brian Keenan of the Phillippines!

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Thanks for that timely warning Ronan.

What the hell is going on in the world these days as just about no matter where i look at travelling too now there seems to be some sort of threat or warning in existence In place there.

And unlike random government cover their back type warnings this one does seem to have some validity as the very first thing my bfs flipino parents told him when he informed them I was coming to visit and stay in Davao was to warn me not to leave the city area as there was indeed a very real and genuine risk of kidnap of random white / British there too apparently !

I'll just have to keep the head down and stay inside the bars more then just I guess now ! :-)

Oh and as for a trip report yes I'll certainly try and post an "abridged" version of same when I'm there, although considering said BF is WAY to smart at reading threads on here when it suits him ( I really will have to remember to log off my computer more often!) I'll perhaps keep the details quite general there maybe this time - and just stick of course to reviewing of all the many museums and temples that I intend to visit and spend ALL of my time in when there visiting there alone - :-)

* ha don't worry my BF won't I'm sure buy a single word of that BS, he might be daft sometimes but he's definitely not stupid ! :-)

7. User who gave Like to post:

steveky (November 8th, 2016)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by GWMinUS View Post
    As to hotels, my recommendation is the Best Western LEX ........or the St. Mark
    Just for your info GWM St Mark hotel now booked, I was almost booking BW Lex and I can absolutely see how and why you rated it and it was only a few pounds more than St Marks and is for sure the better hotel by far - BUT strangely I preferred the lesser of the two choices as the second wasn't a "corporate" hotel, I travel a lot for work and when away in Asia etc I always enjoy NOT being in a fancy or a business type hotel with those sort of people around me and I'm also guessing that St Mark's is a bit quieter and more private and easier to slip in and out of "unnoticed" if you know what I mean :-) But thanks again, your recommendation was spot on !

Now, pushing my luck - any ideas for hotels re Davao ? My BF ( who is FROM Davao !) is being ( and not putting too fine a point on it) being FUCKING USELESS when it comes to asking him to recommend anywhere or suggest where I spend my time - one would almost think he didn't want me in the thick of the action or something there - but surely NOT !! :-)

Liked

Abreeza Mall is as boring as it gets. G-Mall is much older but BUZZING with life as it is in the downtown area and can be easily reached on feet and many Jeepney lines pass this area. I stayed at Pinnacle hotel which is a stone throw away from G-Mall, a decent 3-star, nothning fancy but won't break your budget and professionally operated. If you want to spend some more money, choose Marco Polo Hotel. Just watch out for that rabid dog who is the president of the country now, as he used to congregate there quite frequently and you know what he said about gay people recently. Plus there has been a "BOMBastic" atmosphere reported right next to the hotel, so watch your every step. Samal is overrated in my opinion and very inconvenient to get around on that island, plus hijacking has happened there too recently. I made it all the way past Tagum City to Mati and nothing bad happened to me, but the day after I visited a local seaside resort (where everyone slept in tents!), the communist rebels ambushed a Van at the main intersection we passed through and killed a police officer and hurt several others. so the safety talks are not just blablabla

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Thanks Destiny, firstly from looking at various youtube sites and talking here with my BF who's been there many times I totally agree with you re Samal, the place he's recommending we stay is £170 STG a night ! and it's nothing special ! I think the problem is that Thailand has spoilt me for nice luxury resorts stays at very reasonable prices. Thankfully even my BF agrees it is over priced for what is too.

I'm glad you mentioned the Pinnacle too as that was one my list of probables, as was the Marco polo but actually BOTH places ( and many hotels in Davao it seems) have some quite dodgy reviews in terms of cockroaches and bed bugs and all sorts of nasties, I'm actually quite surprised just how much moaning the local Filipinos do on their hotel review sites, it's either a case of their hotels are just a bit crap OR ( as I'm suspecting) they demand a MUCH higher level of service that their hotel price maybe justifies and then they feel entitled to moan about it online - all of which make it a bit of nightmare trying to wade through reviews in the first place.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by destiny View Post
    I stayed at Pinnacle hotel .......
    Oh and I should have added that solely based on your recommendation ( so it had better be good !! ) I too have now booked the Pinnacle hotel.

Ha I am joking about the better be good part, I have spent ( way to long) looking at all the options around that area and like yourself I think it's one of the better contenders and after numbing my brain reading hotel reviews, some saying great and best hotel ever and some saying absolutely shit hole I'd never stay there again - aye and about just about ALL the hotels not just that one ! - I gave up and applied the DFR rule. (Do fucking rightly) - so i'm sure it'll be just fine.

Thanks again for the info.

12. User who gave Like to post:

destiny (November 15th, 2016)