Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Queen's Musical Bar and Restaurant, Jomtien Plaza

Liked: 1

Queen's Musical Bar and Restaurant, Jomtien Plaza

I was intruiged by the smart looking development, between Two Faces and l'Olivier, and also when I spotted an ad in SPICE magazing for this new spot in Jomtien Complex/Plaza. After dinner with friends at l'Olivier this evening - too much scrummy food and all for 290 baht a head - we went there for coffee and drinks. What a delight a spacious comfortable room open with an air-curtain to keep you cool inside and nice large tables and chairs. Decor is smart and clean and the overall ambiance not dissimilar to l'Oliver. Attentive staff danced attention and made us very welcome. There is a small stage swagged with peach curtains and it was showing clips from musical movies, shows and concerts projected onto a screen. Very cleverly the sound level was just right to watch the films or make conversation - a rare achievement in Pattaya.

We had a quick peek at the menu and wine list and it all augured well with attractive sounding dishes, starters around 100 baht mains 200 to 350 and puds from 100 baht ish and wines from 650 baht a bottle and 90 baht a glass.

The ad mentions High Tea witha pianist but I did not spot a piano so perhaps this has not started yet. Dinner is served from six p.m. with European and Thai food. I'll be back soon to eat at:

Queen's Musical Bar & Restaurant 09 991 3438 e-mail ladymucks@hotmail.com

I believe that the British owners hail recently from Lanzarotte where they had/have a bar called Ladymucks.

Yet another jewel in the tiara of multifaceted Jomtien Plaza!!!

I hope that my posts will be of use.

Many places...

DELETED

Liked: 1

It's nice to be nice.

Even though it is low low season the place had a reasonable number of customer last evening. l'Olivier also has a good sprinkling of bods.

For heavens sake JB give them a chance they have barely opened the doors and you are putting people off by your unkind, unhelpful, ungenerous remarks. It would be nice to hear about some restaurants that you have enjoyed occasionally and not just the ones you don't like.

Like Monty I am sure that the area is a goer. Last high season you had to book ahead or wait in line at several of the restaurants. What an amazing trnsformation form a ghost town in to the vibrant heart of Jomtien in a very few years. Once again gays breath life into a moribund area and the rent's soar.

Ignore button again - Maybe? - Later?
    I hope that my posts will be of use.

places to eat

Is there a new high class Italian restaurant about to open in the jomtiem area?

Do it please.

DELETED

Re: Do it please.

Quote Originally Posted by John Botting
    ... I am not knocking the place, I haven't visited it yet. All I am saying is that when I go there (the area that is) it is usually on a Saturday night and the last two occasions I went, the area was dead...
    I completely agree. I stayed about two months in Jomtien and for the greater part most of the bars were practically empty. Two Faces has a few regulars who hang around the bar, the bar oppositte was completely empty most of the time apart from when it had it's big opening night. The only time these bars became busy was when the Bondi closed it's bar for a national holiday, other than that, the Bondi is definitely the big fish in a very small and quiet Jomtien pond.

Liked
    For what it's worth (which is hardly much of course) the ghastly Hedda in his ghastly Bog has some critical commentary about this thread.

Why he would bother is beyond me, as he is at this very time unabashedly licking the boots of both the GayThailand website owner and GayButton, but it's in character and reasonably predictable ... given the history.

Strangely, a man who has thrown aside this message board as hopeless (which it surely is, being lead around by the nose by a fat bald old cunt) is now crawling through the posts and threads here like Fagin or Jack The Ripper casing out the stinking back alleys of Victorian London picking out posts about which to cast aspersions, and posters ripe for insult. It's enough to make one feel poorly for LMTY ... who doesn't come out below smelling roses, for sure.

From The Bog ( http://radiofreesawatdee.blogspot.com/ )

Quote Originally Posted by HEDDA
    A most bizarre review

If you thought that Sawatdee Forum had gone so low in quality that it was impossible to sink further, do take a look at the latest restaurant review posted by the veteran poster now calling himself "TeePee."

It seems that TeePee spent the night dining at Olivier's in Jomtien and noticed on the way out that a new place had opened next door which, according to PeeTee is called "Queen'a Musical Bar and Restaurant."

Rather than come back another night to sample the food, Tee Pee decided that he would beat everyone to the punch, have a drink and write a restaurant review based on "a quick peek at the menu and wine list." He then proudly announced the restaurant to be "yet another jewel in the tiara of multifaceted Jomtien."

I'd have to consult the Guiness book of records, but I believe this may be the first restaurant review ever written without the writer's seeing or eating the food. It would appear that a tidy room and prices at the petite bourgeoise level are all that dear teePee needs to feel he's dined in the lap of luxury and culinary excellence.

_______

Not to be outdone by TP's stolen thunder, Sawatdee's own pulitzer prize winning know-it-all, LMTU, the man who refuses to concede that "there", their and "they're" are really three separate words, and whose only genuine punctuation and period come once a month, used the occasion to go TeePee one better, by announcing his selection of the five best restaurants in Pattaya.

I won't repeat LMTU's list here, because I suspect that the poor soul probably knows even less about fine dining than grammar or punctuation. Suffice to say, the three best restaurants in the City, in my opinion, didn't make the list, while three of very dubious merit did.

If what I hear about LMTU's normal eating haunts is anywhere accurate, I'm surprised that the Issan guy on the motorbike with the dangling pork sausages in Sunee didn't make his list.

_______

As for Queen, the latest jewel in TeePee's crown, I have actually eaten dinner there with a companion and was seriously disappointed. I found the movie being run during dinner, primarily a campy collection of cuts from Rocky Horror, Mary Poppins and Cabaret, far too loud to allow pleasant dinner converation. I suspect TeePee may be used to louder conversations. I cannot imagine having to sit through that film a second time for dinner.

The food is quite unremarkable, although my companion's Thai dish tasted better than my choice of western fare - but not by much. His was too, too bland for Thai taste and mine was too, too dry for swallowing. No amount of campy movie clips can convince me that this is good fare at any price.

The place looks nice and clean, as TeePee notes, a virtual clone of the minimalist decor right next door at Olivier's. Don't arrive after cockatils elsewhere or you might sit in the wrong restaurant. But those regal swags and jabows around the movie screen in the main dining room of Queen looked totally out of place.

On reflection, perhaps TeePee had the right idea in passing judgment on this place without sampling the food.

posted by Hedda @ 7/07/2006 05:37:00 PM 3 comments

06 July 2006

Cheers ...
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Liked

It's a journey ...

" ... Not even a mention of your Smile's never mind, I love you? ... "
    I do believe I can get over it (Hedda's 'ignore' I mean).
    Your love however, will take some years ~ or millenia ~ longer ... if ever. :geek:

Ya gotta love this cheeky sentence though:
    Quote Originally Posted by HEDDA
    ] " ... His was too, too bland for Thai taste and mine was too, too dry for swallowing ... "
    A classic!

Cheers ...

So Hedda, what ARE your favorite restaurants?

Liked
    Thaiquila, where the hell have you been? Hedda will never darken the portals of this den of iniquity.
    Have you not been following ... the last year has been akin to a Thomas Wolfe novel?

Cheer