Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have been asked for advise re Backpacker's Hotel in Pattaya

Liked

Have been asked for advise re Backpacker's Hotel in Pattaya

I am not sure how many received the request for advice on establishing a gay backpackers hotel in Pattaya. My initial reply was I doubted it would survive. His answer was that gays and straights, male and female and married couples with children stay in Europe, in backpackers all the time.
    That is a big change from his first request of gay backpackers.
    But dormitory accomadation might have some possibilities.

I did a google search and found this site that were mixed dormitories
    http://www.hostelworld.com/search?ci...untry=Thailand

Not sure if this price range is suitable. They start at 250 to 350 baht per night. Still with all the girls available all over Pattaya it might have a chance.[and don't forget the boys]

Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves

Liked

Re: Have been asked for advise re Backpacker's Hotel in Pattaya

Normal double room in gay hotel in 20 meters from Jomtien beach and in 300 meters from Jomtien Complex - DD Inn cost 500 Baht. Basic hotel, 2 stars. https://ddinn.wordpress.com/

Liked

The only hope a hostel has to survive in Pattaya is for stupid people to stay there!
    I had 3 friends who stayed in a 6 bed dorm in Kao San road for a "bargain" 400B each per night...

When I told them that 1200B would get them a really nice 3.5/4* hotel they were confused!
    Here in Europe we are used to places charging per person/per night... so they thought they were getting a bargain...

Similarly I see hostels in So Ngam Duplee charging 300B per person per night in a shared dorm... when those people could have the worst triple room in Malaysia hotel for 900 or a guesthouse nearby for even less

Thai hostels only appeal to naive backpackers.... who realise afterwards that they were ripped off!
    Buffalo me die! Send Money!

4. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Brad the Impala (March 20th, 2016), christianpfc (March 19th, 2016)

Liked

oh and the Day night Hotel in South Pattaya tried its luck as a 300B per night hostel for a while.

It didn't do too well... especially when the owners realised they could cram 4 Chinese to a room instead and charge 400B each!

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Its even worse: one can easily find ROOMs (the famous ''prison cells''-just a bed+fan) around that infamous KSR for 200 bt-or less. Dorm beds too-not bookable advance, from 130 bt/bed. 400 bt/nite mostly includes AC and DY-brekkie (toast+jam).
    Your idea that these naivies realise afters is also quite wrong: most pre-book their whole trip, get in awful panick when something during the trip goes wrong, but are too shitty scared to even think of the idea that those cheap places are not online and do not do bookings. Many of them also select their clients-yes, thats outright Thai style discrimination.
    ALL decent bekpekguidebooks tell all bekpeks that PTY is a very wrong place to go to-its expensive, there is nothing to see/do except for polluted seas and all types of mafia will descend on you.
    But then (as I have somehow to follow all those touristy developments) BKK bigtown now boasts soome 300+ hoStels, not just aiming bekpeks, they are spread all over town and about any new place to open is hoStel style. So there seems to be some winning aspect in them. I really am amazed that just round the corner of Boysstreet/soi Hotmale in BKk there are 3 hoStels on RamIV rd.-right beside that male brothel BBB-Inn. What on earth has a bekpekker to do daytime in that area?

7. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (March 22nd, 2016)

Liked

Most of the people who backpack are usually in pairs ,often mixed couples. The profile he discussed with me was up to $6 Australian per head per night.
    Backpackers usually travel far and wide from where they sleep. The comment what would they do staying near Rama4 is irrelevant. It is just a cheap place to sleep

hostelworld.com minimum prices are double that of Bangkok
    This big site does not even mention Pattaya
    http://www.goatsontheroad.com/guide-...king-thailand/

From the ads I have been shown I think an important bonus for Pattay backpackers would be to include travel from Bangkok by bus as an important option

Liked

I think Pong points out the most important thing in this conversation though...
    all of the backpacker guides (lonely planet, rough guide, south east Asia on a shoe string etc) loathe and abhor Pattaya!

They basically says its a cesspit full of sex tourists and paedophiles!
    (as do a lot of tourist brochures)

It will take a lot more than $6AUD rooms to attract backpacking couples to Pattaya!

[{And anyway does Pattaya really need low class more $6 dollar knacker or scumbag tourists... place is bad enough already! :-P}]

Funnily enough my parents are currently planning a trip to Thailand & Malaysia for later this year... My mother knows I regularly visit Pattaya and now that she has started to plan her trip she can not understand WHY I would even dream of going there!

10. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (March 22nd, 2016)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by lonelywombat View Post
    I think a bit of dodgy journalism here:
    A bottle of Mekhong whiskey only costs about $2 in a store
    You can barely get a bottle of Lao Khao (40 Degrees) or Heineken for 55 baht in a 7-11 these days...
    Don't know where the authors got their "facts" from... but then again they don't seem like the quality tourists that TAT are hoping to attract!

Liked

Just received this email from a recent download march 6,
    search "backpackers in Pattaya"
    http://www.pattayaunlimited.com/back...de-to-pattaya/

From observations that many farang are doing it cheap in Pattaya, will backpackers be much below some of the visitors.
    Friend was abused for paying 300 baht for massage on the gay beach.
    In 26 years price has gone up from 200 baht to in some cases 250 baht.
    He thought it reasonable.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by colmx View Post
    They basically says its a cesspit full of sex tourists and paedophiles!
    But it is a cesspool of sex tourists. That's why millions of people go there every year -- it's fun.

Quote Originally Posted by colmx View Post
    Funnily enough my parents are currently planning a trip to Thailand & Malaysia for later this year... My mother knows I regularly visit Pattaya and now that she has started to plan her trip she can not understand WHY I would even dream of going there!
    heh, I actually brought my mom to Pattaya once. We stayed at Mosaik. She actually loved Pattaya, and thought it was a great place. Granted, I never showed her Sunee Plaza, but we did go for a beer on Walking Street one night, so I'm assuming she figured out the same type of thing exists for the gay community but I just wasn't showing her.

As for the topic, I can think of multiple hotels in Pattaya for 600/night, and nice rooms at that. How much cheaper do people need? If you can't afford to stay at $20/night hotels while travelling the world, then stay at home and get a job. It's like going on Youtube, and watching videos of people in Thailand showing off their $100/month apartment, as if they're proud to be poor or something. I don't get it.