Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Imminent departure

Liked

Imminent departure

I first visited Pattaya in 1993. Thereafter I went there at least twice - and often more frequently than that - every year until Christmas 2013. But, after that particular holiday, I called a halt - largely because of the influx of appallingly behaved Russian tourists who were spoiling my enjoyment of the beach, the bars and even public transport.

In less than 48 hours time I will be returning to Pattaya for the first time in more than two years. A friend reports that (a) the Russians are largely gone, and (b) there have been major changes in the layout of Dongtan beach - so that it's even closed completely these days every Wednesday. He is, though, not the most observant of travellers, so let me ask all of you - what other changes, if any, will I notice that have occurred over the past couple of years?

Even guidance on increased prices - of any of the local speciality goods and services - will be much appreciated so that I don't embarrass myself!

"The fruits of peace and tranquility... are the greatest goods... while those of its opposite, strife, are unbearable evils. Hence we ought to wish for peace, to seek it if we do not already have it, to conserve it once it is attained, and to repel with all our strength the strife which is opposed to it. To this end individual[s]... and in even greater degree groups and communities are obliged to help one another... from the bond or law of human society." [Marsilio dei Mainardini (c.1275-1342), Defensor Pacis]

Liked

Re: Imminent departure

Lots of very large double-deck buses carrying millions and millions of Chinese tourists clog the streets.

Liked

The stretch between Poseidon hotel & The Venue in Jomtian complex is teeming with host bars with friendly guys from Cambodia, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, but I'm yet to meet a Vietnamese.
    A delightful pot of tea will set you back 50 baht. Your hosts' beer 70 baht, orange juice 100 baht only. The sofa on the terrace can seat two or three comfortably. Quite a relaxing place to be apres dinner.

Liked

Thanks for that tip, dinagam. I'm renting an apartment in View Talay 7, so popping over to Jomtien Complex couldn't be easier. A Khmer, Laotian or Burmese boy will no doubt make a nice change...

Any further thoughts or suggestions from anyone will be gratefully received.
    "The fruits of peace and tranquility... are the greatest goods... while those of its opposite, strife, are unbearable evils. Hence we ought to wish for peace, to seek it if we do not already have it, to conserve it once it is attained, and to repel with all our strength the strife which is opposed to it. To this end individual[s]... and in even greater degree groups and communities are obliged to help one another... from the bond or law of human society." [Marsilio dei Mainardini (c.1275-1342), Defensor Pacis]

Liked

Speaking as a Jomtien resident all comments posted are on the mark. The Russians have greatly diminished in numbers but still present (mostly young families in Jomtien). The weather in Pattaya has been delightful recently, not too warm with nice breezes at the beach. Bangkok has been hot so I am told. Several new restaurants to try; the Sandbar (old remodeled Sea Falcon), La Tervana, Pastrami on Rye and the French Garden.

Liked

I look forward to sampling those restaurants. The old Sea Falcon was always a good spot for breakfast, so I particularly look forward to trying out its successor.

Liked

As Francois points out about the Chinese bus groups have replaced the Russian groups... The Chinese tend to keep to themselves and you rarely observe them out after 21.00 at night...

Other noticeable changes:
    - A lot more Indian tourists than before - they gather in crowds on the pavements and block the way whilst they try to group haggle for anything and everything! They can also be quite aggressive if they believe you are trying to usurp them whilst they are haggling with a baht bus driver. I have also observed them successfully haggling with door men of Boyboyboy for the price of a drink.

- The Shisha bars are all gone and no Shisha's are available in the bars/clubs any more - as a result smoking has crept back in and is a lot more commonplace than before

- The fashion for "big hair" has abated and as a result many guys are not as coiffured as before! (that could also be down to lack of money!)

- If you see a fat boy in a gogo - he is likely to be Thai. The fit ones tend to be from neighbouring countries

- Too many boys are wearing braces these days. A lot of it is for fashion and not for any orthodontic purpose!

- General observation from last 5 years...The boys are a lot less fussy about showering before and after sex
    Buffalo me die! Send Money!

8. User who gave Like to post:

anonone (March 19th, 2016)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Marsilius,

I'm pleased to tell you that the prices of local speciality goods and services has not changed in the past 15 years (at least) which is a bit bewildering, but nice.

Liked

Thanks to you both, colmx and Dodger, for such useful and practical information. I don't fly out until Saturday morning (19th), so all information provided before then will be gratefully received and processed.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Marsilius View Post
    I look forward to sampling those restaurants. The old Sea Falcon was always a good spot for breakfast, so I particularly look forward to trying out its successor.
    If you like the old Sea Falcon I think you will enjoy the new Sandbar. Choice of traditional English or American breakfast which comes with mini-pancakes. Inside there is an unlimited coffee /tea/toast bar. For lunch, their chicken or club sandwiches are quite good.