Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motorbike/scooter rental

Liked

Motorbike/scooter rental

Can anyone recommend a place in Pattaya to rent a motorbike or scooter.

Cheers

Brian

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Motorbike/scooter rental

I'd try asking in the hotel.

Liked

I can recomend Mai Pang motobike rentals at Jomtien Complex. They work from 1997, owner Ms. Tik is a very friendly old lady with good english. Prices start from 150B/day up to 300B, depend from motobike you take. They have optional insuranse too. And this is the only place around where you can rent Honda Phantom, for the real hogs B-) You can book by mailing at maipang@yahoo.com.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Ivory
    I can recommend Mai Pang motobike rentals at Jomtien Complex.
    I agree. Mai Pang is one of the few truly honest motorbike rental agencies. If they offer insurance, take it. If you don't hold a Thai motorbike driving license, make sure you have an International Driving Permit, valid for motorbikes, and your home country driving license, also valid for motorbikes. As a farang driving a motorbike, you're perfect prey for the police - just what they're looking for. Without both documents, you can kiss some money goodbye. And without both documents and insurance, if there is an accident you'll be parting with a substantial amount of money.

To find it, enter Jomtien Complex on the soi closest to the beach. Go up the soi and you'll find it on the left at the junction of the next soi. You can't miss it.

You can also enter the Ganymede soi and just walk down the soi. You'll find it at the end of the soi.
    https://www.gaybuttonthai.com

Liked

I personally have never been asked for my UK driving license in ten years of riding a motorbike in Thailand. The international one has always sufficed.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal
    I personally have never been asked for my UK driving license in ten years of riding a motorbike in Thailand. The international one has always sufficed.
    Don't you at least have it with you, just in case? The letter of the law does require it.
    https://www.gaybuttonthai.com

Liked

Gaybutton: I don't even take it with me to Thailand. I do accept it is the letter of the law but I would rather leave it at home in the drawer over the possibility of it getting lost, damaged ect. The same reason I never carry my passport. Perhaps at some point the police might start asking for it but for now there are enough other tourists with no licence whatsoever, no helmet etc to keep the pocket money rolling in.
    By the way. There is ALWAYS a policeman hiding along walking street to catch no helmet wearers and also one about two thirds down Jomtien Beach road. Pip pip.

Liked

Yes, had to pay 500 baht on Jomtien Beach Road, last trip.

Liked

Rocket: 500 baht? it's gone up from 400. On Jomtien Beach Road you do have the opportunity to smooth things over with a 200 donation to the 'arresting' officer. I always decline this offer and go to the police station to pay the full amount. Much to his irritation.

I'd be reading the fine print on the insurance policy very carefully. I know BUPA health insurance only covers 50% of the costs of a hospital stay if the accident was caused on a two-wheel motorised vehicle, and I expect some home-country-sourced travel insurance would have similar proscriptions