List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How long before Go-Go Bars share the Fate of the Dinosaurs?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

How long before Go-Go Bars share the Fate of the Dinosaurs?

A contentious headline, to be sure, but it is intended as a follow-on to the threads about gay Bangkok and Pattaya in the 1980s and beyond, one that may also be of interest to those considering retiring here in the next 10 тАУ 20 years.

Most posters in the earlier threads agreed that a lot has changed in the commercial gay nightlife establishments, including the disappearance of much of the fun of the early days. Things have never been quite the same since the governmentтАЩs social order campaign in 2001. The advent of social networking sites is also having an effect. One poster recently noted on another board that during a three-week visit to Pattaya he had spent only 3 nights in bars. His evening entertainment had been mostly arranged via the internet.

I wonder how far these changes will go? In the next few years, will we see further radical changes that might end up with most of the bars (gay and straight) and the more obviously public forms of sex and prostitution disappear?

I raise this merely as a topic for discussion. One writer whose books on Asia have fascinated me is the American Alex Kerr. A resident of Bangkok for close to two decades, he had spent most of his earlier life living in Japan. Written in Japanese, his first book about how Japan is losing its traditional culture and customs тАЬLost JapanтАЭ won that countryтАЩs highest literary award. He remains the only foreigner to have attained that distinction.

One of his latest books is тАЬBangkok FoundтАЭ. This is no tourist guide. Rather it is a book for those who live here, or regular visitors who want to learn more about Thai culture in all its many forms after they have тАШdoneтАЩ the temples and enjoyed the nightlife. Openly gay, Kerr clearly has a very wide circle of Thai friends and he bases his comments on extensive research and interviews over many years. Here are some excerpts from the section dealing with nightlife.

For whatever reason, Bangkok unquestionably has the most extensive and international gay scene in all of Asia . . . A young kiwi friend of mine, on his first visit to a gay disco in Silom Soi 2, took one look at the crowds of men, and could barely contain himself. тАЬWhen I die, I want to come here!тАЭ he said . . .

Yet despite the festival atmosphere in Silom, Thai society is hardly the open sexual paradise that many foreigners imagine . . . Young ladies of good families are educated to be sexually quite conservative. Gays usually do not come out to their parents, and many stay permanently in the closet for fear of losing their jobs.

In fact thereтАЩs a strong streak of puritanism running through Thai society. Austere Chinese morality, which frowns on sensual indulgence, plays a role, due to the large share of BangkokтАЩs population with Chinese roots. You can also see vestiges of colonial Western values from the 19th century, which Thailand took to heart in the process of modernisation . . . You wonтАЩt find in Bangkok the open flaunting of sex that you find in Japan, such as shops selling sexual paraphernalia, or newspapers sporting pages of photos of adult video stars, which blue-suited salarymen peruse in the train on their way home from work . . .

Ironically, openness to foreigners works against Bangkok in the eyes of the world. Prostitution is just as large a business in Japan as it is in Thailand, maybe even larger, but it bothers foreign visitors and journalists much less, if at all . . . This is because most of the sex is not accessible to foreigners; they just donтАЩt see it [and in any case are generally not welcome in the commercial establishments] . . .

I have what I call тАЬthe Weimar Republic theoryтАЭ of Bangkok. As dramatised in the movie тАШCabaretтАЩ, there was a brief moment of sinful freedom in Berlin during the Weimar Republic (1919 to 1933). It was the era of Kurt WeillтАЩs bittersweet music and Christopher IsherwoodтАЩs novels and stories By the mid-1930s the Nazis had stamped it out, and eventually all that remained was a legend of тАЬBerlin in the 20s.тАЭ Those who experienced it spent the rest of their lives telling others of the wild days that were now gone forever.

In time, the more outrageous forms that prostitution takes in Bangkok (sex shows, go-go bars with half-naked boys or girls) will disappear. For those things, Bangkok stands far out on the scale of what most cities in the world see as acceptable. I donтАЩt believe it will last. Slowly but surely we are seeing a clampdown, and itтАЩs a matter of time before the тАЬsinfulтАЭ Bangkok we see today fades away into legend, just as 1920s Berlin did.
    Kerr goes on to highlight the clash of generations тАУ the ultra conservative elders and the desire by the young for greater freedom. But an easing of sexual mores does not mean that the younger generation approves of the open displays of commercial sex in Bangkok. Almost exclusively, the vast majority of younger men prefer to meet in the relative privacy of discos, drinking clubs or behind the walls of gay saunas, for example.

I tend to agree with Kerr. How long it will take, I have no idea. Probably many more years. Commercial sex will continue to be available, certainly as long as poverty exists in the countryside and Thais from all strata of society seek it out. Eventually, though, will establishments catering largely to foreigners become just a memory?

Bangkok Found тАУ published by River Books 2010

Liked

Re: How long before Go-Go Bars share the Fate of the Dinosau

Think positive, the Dinosaurs were around for 100 million years so maybe the demise of the Go-Go Bars is premature?

Liked

I tend to think that those of us now in our 50s might still be visiting for another 10 or 20 years will keep the sex for sale trade alive for some time to come.
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Liked

And then there's NIrish guy - so the boys can relax for a while yet

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Think positive, the Dinosaurs were around for 100 million years so maybe the demise of the Go-Go Bars is premature?
    The above point made by Fran├зois also occurred to me after reading the title of this topic.
    Quote Originally Posted by joe552
    And then there's NIrish guy - so the boys can relax for a while yet
    I particularly liked the above comment by Joe552, it did make me laugh тАж sorry NIrish!

But Alex KerrтАЩs predictions seem unduly pessimistic and his comparison with Berlin in the 1920s, before the Nazi rise to power, probably doesnтАЩt stand up to detailed scrutiny. It sounds to me like a headline grabber more than a serious comment.

In the previous interesting topic about Bangkok in the 80s, created by fountainhall, shows that nothing remains the same forever, change happens. ItтАЩs as certain as death and taxes. It appears to me that there is a greater choice of places to meet тАШthe boy of your choiceтАЩ today than there was in the 80s. One only needs to look at the plethora of Internet dating sites and other sites such as PlanetRomeo and Grindr where you can find a money boy ready and willing to take care of your needs for a price.

I donтАЩt possess a crystal ball and therefore cannot predict the future, but my gut feeling is that the go-go bars, in some shape or form, are going to be with us for many years to come and certainly long enough to satisfy my needs. After all, they donтАЩt refer to prostitution as тАШthe oldest professionтАЩ for nothing and reports of the early demise of go-go bars are, to coin a phrase, probably greatly exaggerated, but a great subject for discussion nonetheless.
    Remember: Coughs and sneezes spread diseases

Liked

I tend to think that those of us now in our 50s might still be visiting for another 10 or 20 years will keep the sex for sale trade alive for some time to come.
    Not just "those of us now in our 50s"... Guys currently in their 20s, 30s and 40s will all reach a stage (maybe in their 50s?) where, if unattached and lonely or if interested only in much younger guys, they will enter and thus perpetuate the market for money boys.

I cannot see prostitution - whether overt or covert - ever coming to an end as long as the demand is constantly reinforced by those entering the lonely decades and replacing those leaving it at the other end when they die. In fact, increased longevity and the resultant growing numbers of guys living through their 70s, 80s and even beyond, may well mean that demand for paid-for sex is currently growing.

Of course, as the original quoted piece suggests, Thai governments (as in 2001) or changes to Thai social mores may eventually restrict the supply of willing young men entering the sex trade, but I suspect that that will be a very slow process.
    "The fruits of peace and tranquility... are the greatest goods... while those of its opposite, strife, are unbearable evils. Hence we ought to wish for peace, to seek it if we do not already have it, to conserve it once it is attained, and to repel with all our strength the strife which is opposed to it. To this end individual[s]... and in even greater degree groups and communities are obliged to help one another... from the bond or law of human society." [Marsilio dei Mainardini (c.1275-1342), Defensor Pacis]

Liked

Well as I said, NIrish guy who is only 24, has many more years of keeping the boys of Thailand in paid employment.

I agree with you Marsilius - the trade won't go away, but technology and government interference may change how we access that trade. Personally, I'd rather see a boy in his undies in a bar than rely on a photo on Romeo.

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Thailand's commercial gay sex scene has been slowly dying for years but like every city prostitution will continue in the parks, by the palace, train stations etc.
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Liked

And Christian will continue to keep us informed about the activities in the parks.

Liked

Personally, I'd rather see a boy in his undies in a bar than rely on a photo on Romeo.
    Could not agree with you more, Joe. :ymhug:

I'm hoping there are years of life left in the go-go bars.
    ..........and that's the way it is.