Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Kiss

Forum's veteran
    Liked

The Kiss

Not much seems to be happening on the platforms of the Skytrain or the MTR in hot, steamy Bangkok. Travellers stand in line, chat, look around, check their mobile phones and patiently wait for the trains. So it was a bit of a shock this morning when reaching the top of the escalator at Saladaeng BTS station to be greeted by the sight of two slim youngish (maybe 30 or so) farang guys kissing. But this was no peck on the cheek. This was the real McCoy тАУ body pressed to body, mouth glued to mouth, tongue down your throat kissing.

Walking past them, I looked at the reactions of the others on the platform, almost all Thai. Many diverted their gaze. A few younger ones looked on тАУ perhaps in envy? Some older ones had an obvious look of disdain.

What to do? I was tempted to go up to them and suggest as tactfully as I could that such displays of affection in a public place are actually offensive to many Thais. I wondered how they would react. Ignore me? Tell me to f--k off? An approaching train saved me. As I boarded, I could see the two of them still at it, breaking off just in time to board before the doors closed.

I have seen handholding, arms draped over shoulders, arms around waists in a public space before. Never the full Monty! I wonder what you would have done? Passed by and let them get on with it?

Liked

Re: The Kiss

No big deal for me, would have kept right on walking. If this embrace happened in front of me while waiting for the train, maybe a quip, "is there room for one more?"

Liked

One assumes this was a French kiss rather than a casual un bisou.

What would I do? A wink and a nod.

Liked

I wouldn't have said anything but I'd have been annoyed and embarrassed, knowing what the Thais were thinking. Very insensitive behaviour.
    [i]There is a boy across the river with a bottom like a peach,
    But alas I cannot swim.
    [/i]
    - From an early-19th-century Pashtun marching song

Had it been a couple of monks with tongues entwined that would have been a story - and now there's something that could be done about Monks Behaving Badly. I'm inclined to agree with Up2U on this one. There are so many tattooed farang (aka. White Trash) around Thailand publicly pawing some young hottie of either sex I would think a farang couple doing the same to each other is hardly worth a mention in terms of how the Thais generally regard us. Besides they're probably conforming to the misapprehension that Thailand is a "gay paradise" whereas - as we all know - it's merely a paradise for old men who want some young flesh, and in Thailand everything is for sale.

Liked

Like everywhere there is a generational change going on. Cannot imagine younger Thais giving it a 2nd thought. Older Thais I could care less just like I could care less in the USA that my generation is still holding on to marriage is between a man and a woman.

Also everything may be for sale but there are many Gay Thais who are not For Sale and LadyBoys are certainly not in the Closet so I think some may be holding on to certain behavior beliefs that are being changed in modern society .

Does anyone really think this would get a mention on a Non Gay Board if it was a man and a woman who were displaying affection?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by firecat69
    Does anyone really think this would get a mention on a Non Gay Board if it was a man and a woman who were displaying affection?
    If they were doing it as enthusiastically as the two mentioned in the OP, yes. I don't see this as a gay issue. It is a Thai cultural norm (still much more ingrained and pervasive than you seem to think) that people of either sex should not show excessive sexual feelings in public. The issue is whether we as guests visiting or living here should respect this cultural norm. We all know that there are farang slobs that don't, but I suspect that most farangs try to uphold it. Quite rightly in my opinion. The best that could be said for these two gay guys is that they might not have been aware that their behaviour was offensive, though I strongly doubt it.
    [i]There is a boy across the river with a bottom like a peach,
    But alas I cannot swim.
    [/i]
    - From an early-19th-century Pashtun marching song

Liked

This didn't happen in an Issan village or a temple but the Saladaeng BTS;the gateway to the Patpong, Soi 4 and Soi Twilight. Our responses are probably more of a reflection on us individually; our home countries, our personal standards, morales, age, etc. For me, living in the San Francisco Bay area during the 60's and 70's nothing shocks me.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by firecat69
    Cannot imagine younger Thais giving it a 2nd thought
    A deep kiss with bodies clenched together lasting at least 30 seconds in a very public place? Some younger Thais including some young mothers with schoolchildren were certainly 'concerned' about it. I've lived here for more than 12 years and I have never seen this degree of intimacy between two guys in all that time - qualified by at this time of day and in this kind of public space.

Re Up2U's comment, Saladaeng may be the gateway to the gay areas, but that's at night. This was around 11:00 am.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by kommentariat
    and in Thailand everything is for sale.
    I think it is just more affordable in Thailand.