Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: 19 Red alerts of 62 countries issuing Thai travel warnings

Liked

19 Red alerts of 62 countries issuing Thai travel warnings

I wasn't aware until I saw it on Richard Barrow Twitter that so many very significant countries (for Thai tourist industry) had issued red travel cautions for travel to Thailand. I was surprised to find USA, Italy, Spain, Hong Kong, South Korea and notably Russia to be among them. These countries are advising their citizens to avoid travel to Thailand unless necessary.

I would imagine Pattaya, and more especialy Jomtien along with Phuket will be seriously affected if the Russian citizens or their travel and insurance industry follow that advice. On my last trip I spent 3 nights in Jomtien at the start of my visit staying at East Suites, and while I have made regular very fleeting visits every trip over the years I really didn't realize the extent to which Jomtien has been Russianised. Any business which does not have Russian language signs are the one's which stand out as odd.

Liked

Re: 19 Red alerts of 62 countries issuing Thai travel warnin

The Junta seems determined to provoke an internal backlash with its puerile authoritarianism.....arresting a lone woman for wearing a mask with the word "people" on it, for example.
    Despite the oppression, the three- fingered signs (fraternity , democracy liberty- shocking words for Fascists) continue.

What next? Inevitably mass arrests, banning of parties that are unapproved by Our Dear Leader, death-squads....I suspect that governments with any sense of history know where the generals are taking Thailand and are preparing for the worst by discouraging tourism.

Liked

Yeah, I know coups in Thailand are generally nothing to worry about, but I didn't have a good feeling about this one this time around. I guess my dreams / subconcious were telling me to move for a reason, and that was about 6 weeks before the immigration crackdown began, and 7 weeks before the coup.

Have to admit, I'm a little surprised at how heavy handed the military is being. Doesn't affect us really, but they seem to be rounding up people left and right. This tells me one thing -- the military is scared shitless. They know things we don't, and those things scare them enough to bring about this heavy handed approach. Dark days ahead I would imagine.

I'll be sitting on the coast of Montevideo eating ribs, so doesn't matter to me, but yeah, wouldn't be surprised to find out it gets worse here before getting better.

Liked

If I may correct you....the Royalists are rounding-up Thais left and centre. The Right's thugs are doing very well, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver
    If I may correct you....the Royalists are rounding-up Thais left and centre. The Right's thugs are doing very well, thank you.
    It will all blow over, Oliver. We now have members swapping tips on getting fucked in China on the 25th anniversary of the Tiananmen Square massacre. Don't forget that Thailand has run a very successful personality cult/propaganda campaign (depending on how you like to describe it) for the past sixty years.

Liked

Tj

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by travelerjim
    Thanks for the update tj. Besides Thailand's neighbors countries like USA, Singapore, Korea could have an impact with their alert status. Countries like England and Ireland have advisory status but posters here say they are losing their travel/medical insurance. I don't understand maybe you can clarify or add your comments. Additionally, do our American policies cover us now in Thailand?

Liked

For those whom have coverage with either of the 2 insurance companies I represent...
    I have confirmed their medical coverage are good and new policies are being issued.

One issue cited by my sources is the one regarding "political evacuation"...
    it goes without saying...stay away from protests.

And my 2 companies are insuring travelers from nations around the world.

"However, if a plan contains coverage for terrorism or political evacuation (some plans have these benefits and some donтАЩt), these two specific benefits will not apply in a country where the US Department of State has issued a Travel Warning. Currently, per the DOS Web Site, there is no Warning for Thailand (only an alert)." FYI...(this statement is from IMG).

PM me if any questions.

Take good care!

tj
    Tj