Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flying Cathay Pacific Chicago to BKK

Liked

Flying Cathay Pacific Chicago to BKK

Just booked flight for August for 3 + weeks stay.

Not really worried about the political situation yet. Booked economy comfort for 70k Alaska Air miles. If I have to cancel will be $125 penalty. Never flown Cathay Pacific before on this route so not sure how it will be. I notice regular airfares on this route can be booked for $959 right now on Cathay Pacific. Seems low for this time of year. Layover in HKG only 1 hour.

Liked

Re: Flying Cathay Pacific Chicago to BKK

Quote Originally Posted by blazer
    I notice regular airfares on this route can be booked for $959 right now on Cathay Pacific. Seems low for this time of year. Layover in HKG only 1 hour.
    One way from Chicago to BKK in August are quoted on their website at about $1000. Double or more for round trip.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by francois
    I notice regular airfares on this route can be booked for $959 right now on Cathay Pacific. Seems low for this time of year. Layover in HKG only 1 hour.
    One way from Chicago to BKK in August are quoted on their website at about $1000. Double or more for round trip.
    You should be fine. I used to use them each year - American out of JFC connecting to Cathy in Vancouver. Nothing fancy but nice service and comfortable - good quick connections in Hong Kong. This year I'm trying Swiss out of Miami and on to Thai in Zurich

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by francois
    ORD to BKK - RT - For travel on 12, 13, 20, 21, 28 August, for example, for 23 nights, fare ranges from $959-$975.

A good starting point to check is matrix.itasoftware.com. You can check the whole month. Then check for fares on Cathay Pacific and Orbitz, etc. These fares good right now on Cathay Pacific, Orbitz and others.

Liked

Not really worried about the political situation yet. Booked economy comfort for 70k Alaska Air miles. If I have to cancel will be $125 penalty. Never flown Cathay Pacific before on this route so not sure how it will be. I notice regular airfares on this route can be booked for $959 right now on Cathay Pacific. Seems low for this time of year. Layover in HKG only 1 hour.
    Flight CX807 Chicago (ORD) to Hong Kong (HKG)
    Flight CX806 Hong Kong (HKG) to Chicago (ORD)

These are long flights, I don't believe there is a fuel stop so you are 16 hours westbound, against the wind and 15 hours home.
    I'm not sure what "economy comfort" is, but I tried their Premium Economy once...the seats are bigger, not bad for sleeping...but they don't go down flat. I don't believe Premium Economy exists in the final short leg HKG to BKK and back, so they may bump you up to Business Class even if you don't ask for it. Listen for a possible call up at the gate!

The service has always been perfect for me with Cathay and I use them very frequently to HKG and NYC.
    The 1 hour in HKG sounds like a dash, but if you are Cathay all the way...your bags are looked after right through to Bangkok.
    Just follow the signage to the Transit point, you may have to take a train from Terminal to Terminal...but even that is fast and efficient. Prior to landing in HKG, you'll see the map of the Terminal and the path you need to follow and the departure times of all the CX connectors waiting for your flight. Cathay is usually on time, if the head wind to HKG isn't too strong, you may get in a little early and have time to pick something up in HKG Terminal.

The luggage limits are good, two checks bags 50 lbs...the carry on is a little crazy between BKK and HKG with all the HK Shoppers going home after a weekend get away. I'm guessing that leg will be quiet with the goings on in Bangkok at the moment, but you can't keep those shoppers away forever

Cathay is based out of HKG and is part of One World and Asia Miles.

Surfcrest

Liked

You are right about that, it is called Premium economy on this route and not available for short leg. Only 100k Alaska Air miles to fly Business Class all the way, and available but was short on miles, only 5k extra miles to upgrade to premium economy from economy.

Good information!

Liked

I flew cathay last month hk to bkk last month , they have 4 flts aday in each direction , two have premium economy and two do not

Liked

Those $1000 fares must be for economy. No way you're getting a Premium Economy ticket from the US to Bangkok for under $2000.

Liked

I used Alaska Air miles to book premium economy. Only 70,000 miles for premium economy.

It costs more with Asia Air Miles, 108,000 Asia Air miles for premium economy

I used Alaska Air miles to book premium economy. Only 70,000 miles for premium economy.

It costs more with Asia Air Miles, 108,000 Asia Air miles for premium economy
    North American airlines have inflated the value of their domestic seats using points and deflated the value of their international seats using points. United now charges roughly 50% of the points previously needed on some of their Star Alliance partners. Bangkok-Australia on Thai was previously 60,000 now if you book early enough or on the right days it's 35,000 using United points.