Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: 26.7 Million Visit Thailand in 2013; Targets 28.01 Million i

Liked

26.7 Million Visit Thailand in 2013; Targets 28.01 Million i

According to the Tourism Authority of Thailand, more commonly known as TAT, Thailand welcomed a total of 26,735,583 visitor arrivals in 2013, exceeding the yearтАЩs original target of 26.1 million and representing a 19.6% increase over the 22,353,903 international tourists in 2012.

According to data tabulated by the Ministry of Tourism and Sports, in 2013, six Asia Pacific countries contributed more than one million visitor arrivals.

China topped the chart at 4.7 million arrivals (a 68.83% jump), followed by Malaysia with 2.99 million tourists (up 17.29%), Russia with 1.73 million arrivals (a 31.93% growth), Japan with 1.53 million tourists (an 11.96% increase), South Korea at 1.29 million arrivals (up 11.48%), and India at 1.04 million visitors (a 3.61% increase).

By region, East Asia remains the largest contributor at 16.09 million arrivals (up 28.47%), representing a 60.18% share of the overall visitor markets to Thailand.

Europe is the second largest market by region at 6.3 million visitors (an 11.62% increase), followed by South Asia at 1.34 million arrivals (a 4.63% growth) and the Americas at 1.17 million tourists (up 8.05%).

In related statistics, the number of visitor arrivals to Thailand at Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang International Airports reached a total of 16,989, 458 in 2013, representing a 16.65% increase over 2012. In December 2013, the number reached 1.59 million arrivals or 1.99% year-on-year increase.

And, despite the uncertain times that the country faces with anti-government protestors currently demonstrating in many parts of Bangkok and elsewhere, TAT still expects the country to welcome 28.01 million international tourist arrivals in 2014.

http://www.asiatraveltips.com/news14...dTourism.shtml

Liked

Re: 26.7 Million Visit Thailand in 2013; Targets 28.01 Milli

I think it's pretty clear that the number will tank this year, and not just because of the protests.

Also, the number of arrivals by itself is almost useless as an indicator for anything. Some just hop across the border for a day, others stay for several weeks. Some spend a lot, others feast on noodle soup from 7/11. Then you've got the illegal teacher riff-raff on endless visa runs, also clocking up several arrivals a year. What a mess this statistic is.
    Yes, grandpa, I know it used to be more fun 30 years ago...

Liked

lego, I think the protests are the real culprit in causing many to keep away from Thailand and TOT is famous for its lying BS.

Just more Chinese tour groups and Indians reel low value tourists quantity not quality.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by marti
    lego, I think the protests are the real culprit in causing many to keep away from Thailand and TOT is famous for its lying BS.
    I agree on both counts!

I just think there are additional reasons for vast numbers of tourists staying away, for example China's recent ban on "zero-cost" tours. Last year, prior to this ban and thanks to the "Lost in Thailand" movie, tourist arrivals from China skyrocketed. This certainly helped making last year's overall number of tourist arrivals look boom-ish, albeit at very low value per pax.
    Yes, grandpa, I know it used to be more fun 30 years ago...