Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Car hire

Liked

Car hire

Can any one tell me where a decent place is in pattaya to hire a car for a few days , Im not going to drive myself but leave that to my thai friend . Im looking to go up to the river kwi, and have a look around , so would also need a hotel for about 2 nights

Liked

Re: Car hire

IтАЩd go with one of the national company like Budget o r Avis since itтАЩs only for a few days. Remember to add your BFтАЩs DL to the contract as a driver along with yours. The independents are cheaper for long term rentals but you have to be very careful and read all the contracts and insurance conditions.

ThereтАЩs no good route to Kanchanaburi. YouтАЩll want to avoid Bangkok at rush hours. The routes around Bangkok are also traffic jammed at certain hours and taking direct routes 338, 4 or 35 has you running into Sky Train construction. Once past Nakhon Pathom itтАЩs clear sailing. If you donтАЩt run into any problems, figure on around 6 hours from Pattaya to Kanchanaburi.

IтАЩve been to Kanchanaburi many time and have stayed at both guest houses and more elaborate resorts. Since you have a car you donтАЩt have to stay in town. Agota has many good listing. If youтАЩre there on a weekend beware the disco party boat on the river.

I would pass up on the Thai тАЬhistoricтАЭ tourist sites and go to one that the Austrians built like Hellfire Pass and the cemetery in town.

Erawan National park/waterfall is also worth the trip. ThereтАЩs 7 levels.

Erawan, Hellfire, Tam Than Lod and Sai Yok all require significant up hill/steps hiking to see anything. If your not fit or mobility challenged youтАЩll not be able to see it all.

Read something about the history of the death rail road and donтАЩt watch the famous fictional movie. The Thai-Burma RR was a site of a crime by the Imperial Japanese. Only one person was ever held accountable, sentenced to death and latter communed to 15 years in jail.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burma_Railway

Japanese tour groups like to pose next to fake aircraft shells at the entrance to what the Thais call the Bridge over the River kwai.

Northern Kanchanaburi province along with boarding Tak Province are the most raw, unspoiled, inaccessible and most beautiful places in Thailand.
    E Dok Tong

Liked

Trongpai's post is an excellent one, well worth following. I too would recommend passing up on the Thai тАЬhistoricтАЭ tourist sites and go to one that the Austrians built like Hellfire Pass and the cemetery in town.
    "If you think you understood what I said you weren't listening" - Alan Greenspan

Liked

I always book on the internet. Fastcarhire is a UK company which provides quotes from all the major firms. I always get a good deal through them- usually Budget.
    Don't forget to take out extra the insurance that Fastcarhire offer.

Liked

Ahh Sooty, Now I know who you are. The Colonel sends his love. Check your PM --lets do lunch. You still have my cell phone number?
    E Dok Tong