Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Member of the year nominations.

Liked

Member of the year nominations.

As 2013 draws to its inevitable close I have decided to nominate my candidate for member of the year. The competition is tough. I considered Nirish for his continued services to sexual hedonism and Scottish for his willingness to engage in grown up debate. I also gave a lot of thought to Surfcrest for his efforts since taking over the board and, believe it or not Timmberty because he's the whiny kid no one likes so it might cheer him up and stop him sniveling.

But in the end I decided to vote for Bucknaway. He posts on a number of topics and like a revolving Japanese buffet, if you don't like what's in front of you there will be something different very soon.

Liked

Re: Member of the year nominations.

At the risk of being accused of arse licking, I'd nominate Surfcrest as the member who stepped in to rescue the board at a time when its future was in jeopardy.
    "The fruits of peace and tranquility... are the greatest goods... while those of its opposite, strife, are unbearable evils. Hence we ought to wish for peace, to seek it if we do not already have it, to conserve it once it is attained, and to repel with all our strength the strife which is opposed to it. To this end individual[s]... and in even greater degree groups and communities are obliged to help one another... from the bond or law of human society." [Marsilio dei Mainardini (c.1275-1342), Defensor Pacis]

Liked

@ Arsenal

I'm touched.

But my nomination has to wing itself in the direction of Surfy.

Without raking stuff up - when you think of the external abuse and (attempted) intimidation he has had to put up with since gaining control of the Board, it is quite sickening - and the easiest thing would have been to close the board down (which was of course the object of the abuse)

I certainly hope he gets it well filled this Xmas (his stocking of course!!)

:ymparty:

Liked

Why have posts been deleted on this thread. Marsilius was nominated . That nomination was deleted .Why?

This answers the question surfcrest asked on another forum. Why?

Maybe people are getting sick of posts being deleted without an excuse or reason

manforallseasons-and-friends-come-back-t30214.html
    Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by lonelywombat

Maybe people are getting sick of posts being deleted without an excuse or reason
    According to our moderator logs, there have been only 4 moderator decisions made in the past 72 hours...since Tuesday.
    In that time, I have been the only moderator signed into the Board. Here are the decisions;

1) Moved your topic "Best LGBT Films..." from Gay Thailand to Open Discussion, because it was about films, not Thailand.
    2) Moved the Booking.Com thread to Board Business from Gay Thailand...because it's old news and that's where it belongs.
    3) Updated the Sawatdee Update thread to notify members we had reactivated old deleted memberships so that their posts could be searched.
    4) Moved the iwanttoknow thread that Neal Bernard tried to post to the Holding Room, for some laughs.

These are the only four items, the Board has been very quiet...no posts have been deleted or this would appear in our moderator logs as past decisions.
    You can't delete the logs without that decision being recorded and there is nothing there, these are the only 4 decisions.
    Are you actually seeing something LW? The RSS feeds should show you whether anything has been deleted, moderated...or even read, until now?

Surfcrest

Liked

Hey!

I been reading Sawadee forum for few years. I never felt the urge to join the forum.
    The biggest issue with Sawadee board was strict rules, the place had more strict rules than Youtube.
    Posts were edited by admin, posts that admin disagreed with were often deleted, posters banned, often the coolest posters.

There is one good thing about internet, and boards.. You can speak your mind, you dont have to mince words, you can be yourself. But that never applied here. Admin edited, deleted posts at a whim.

There was no reason to join. If yoy are not allowed to speak your mind, what is the point of a web board?

So I would nominate a person who is currently in charge!

Board has become much more tolerant recently, it is now what a web board is supposed to be.

Im a noob here. But Ive followed Sawadee from around 4 years ago.
    What made me follow, were the postings of Matt, usernmame Cdnmatt, i maybe not spell his nick correctly, apologiz!

I had just ended my 2 year serious relationship in Thailand, my first and last here. Matt had just fallen in love and moved to Isaan around the same time.
    I wanted to screem from the top of my loungs, Matt, brother, think twice! But he wouldnt have listened to me, so I never posted.. Afterall his relationship is not same as mine, they are always different.. At least we always think they are. I followed Matts life with great interest! Many circumstances were exactly the same, at the yime I also ran online business from here, I had hopelessly falling in love here, just that it happened 2 years prior to his.

But I never joined. Web board that is policed as carefully as young girls boarding school, is not what internet is all about. You dont like another user, click ignore.
    Editing members post is out of the question. It is simply not done. Nobody has that right. As admin, delete the post if warranted, ban a user if it is warranted.. But you do not edit.

If as admin you are not tolerating a view you disagree with, on an online forum, your board will slowly die. Or it can die fast. Few of admins friends keep posting for a while, but they soon get bored, there is only so long 4 people attending the board give up, cos forum is basically dead by then.

People who read threads, and see the cencorship will never join. So running a board that way comes to end at some point, there simply are no members who post.

Sorry for rambling!

I nominate the current Admin, or whoever runs this board!

Forum's veteran
    Liked

re: deleted posts.

Perhaps the poster who nominated Marcilius deleted his own post before the time had expired

Liked

Surfcrest did sterling work in rescuing the board. But I think we have to nominate an ordinary member so I vote for Christianpfc for truthful, entertaining and funny updates on his quest for the right man.

Liked

If not voting for new admin, I would also vote for chrianpfc.

His posts are always entertaining, and often there is something to learn from chritianpfc's posts.
    Every time I see a new post from christianpfc, I click on his post first, and then look around what other threads are there.

Liked

I am also thankful to Surfcrest for the improvements in the board. Before he took over the board, I found myself ignoring a lot of admin posts because I did not think it appropriate to publicly take on others while using the admin position to delete, edit, ban, etc. I think the board is handled more professionally and even if some disagree, he tries to clearly state his reasons or position. thank you for your efforts.

I think we should nominate a member other than the owner. So I second the nomination of Christianpfc. He has brightened up the board by adding reports on his adventures. I appreciate the time spent to develop such posts and maintain such detail in his notebooks or brain cells. I find such adventures entertaining including his dry sense of humor. When you can't be in Thailand as much as you would like, the next best thing is reading about the antics of someone who is there and sampling the many opportunities.
    If you burn your neighbors house down, it doesn't make your house look any better. - Lou Holtz