Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thai Politics

Liked: 1

Thai Politics

As an American I do have an interest in the political friendliness of the countries I choose to visit. It sure looks like this present uprising in LOS is going to last a while. I cannot, however, seem to grasp which side of the road I might be on should I have been a local. It looks like the haves vs the have nots. But I do not think so.
    Who then would the populace in general take on as the person who could do right by them. Lately no one seems to fit that bill, or even can they? Is it the lying bureaucrats and the wealthy who will always have the upper hand or can the people themselves find their true representative? Is there even one. The protesters on both sides should certainly provide a representative choice. Do they have the will or the savvy to do so?
    I will volunteer my services at a reduced fee for 5 years only so the the locals can find their true representative. After all, no one wants the country to be in turmoil while all us gays are trying to enjoy our times there.

But seriously can this problem not be resolved or is it a lost cause?

Liked

Re: Thai Politics

As a fellow American, I would just say, take care of your own back yard, before worrying about another country an culture. American's are going through the same thing, rich vs poor. If your visiting Thailand just enjoy the day to day people you meet. Even if your in Bangkok, unless your in certain districts, you won't even know something is going on, unless your watching the news on certain stations. Just enjoy yourself. L-)

Liked

what a great idea, an american taking control of the situation in thailand. things can only get better, just ask the people in other places the yanks have stepped foot in.

Liked

It looks like the haves vs the have nots.
    Is it the lying bureaucrats and the wealthy who will always have the upper hand or can the people themselves find their true representative?
    I am also an American and totally agree with stkyricesf. We have some of the same problems.

When in Thailand - I don't talk religion or politics.
    If you burn your neighbors house down, it doesn't make your house look any better. - Lou Holtz

Liked: 1

Now see guys there i disagree with yas. I think it is important to understand whats going on around me.I do not choos to bury my head in the ground.I can still visit and enjoy but i dont want to live with blinders too.Mai pen rai...I dont think so.

Quote Originally Posted by timmberty
    what a great idea, an american taking control of the situation in thailand. things can only get better, just ask the people in other places the yanks have stepped foot in.
    Someone born in America is already the Thai head of State timbberty. Do you not know that?

Liked

an american ?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by BrisbaneGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by timmberty
    Someone born in America is already the Thai head of State timbberty. Do you not know that?
    If, as seems likely given their rank and status as members of the Thai royal family, that person's parents were traveling on Thai diplomatic passports, that I doubt that the US law of jus solis (which specifically exempts offspring of diplomats) applied. Born in the USA, yes; an American, probably not.

Liked

Now see guys there i disagree with yas. I think it is important to understand whats going on around me.I do not choos to bury my head in the ground.I can still visit and enjoy but i dont want to live with blinders too.Mai pen rai...I dont think so.
    You can understand what is going on around you without offering opinions. You can observe. But it is best to keep your opinions to yourself. B-)
    If you burn your neighbors house down, it doesn't make your house look any better. - Lou Holtz

Liked

His MajestyтАЩs dad was the prince at US medical school. Not a diplomat. I doubt the King claims American citizenship in any case.

While discrete discussion of politics is tolerated (if not welcomed), these difficulties are for the Thai people to grapple with. America has been both a positive influence and a tragic interloper in places where it has exerted influence. Our involvement seems to be an engagement with the military establishment right now.

If you wish to be informed, then read the Nation and the Post, certainly seek out non-establishment alternative news sources, and educate yourself. The sitution, which I follow from NY, is complex. ItтАЩs not something best understood in a blog post or a discussion in a social forum.

Stay safe. Enjoy yourself. Educate yourself.
    Chelsea NYC