Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How To Use Quote Button

Liked

How To Use Quote Button

Sorry Jellybean, we are trying to balance the view between different devices. We've been tinkering with the screen and related controls today, icons, toolbars and avatars. We should have this concern with these and the PM controls resolved shortly. Mobile users may notice issues with the toolbar until we can complete additional adjustments.

Surfcrest

elephantspike

Re: My first month back in Thailand тАж

Is everything OK with the Quote buttons now? PM me if you have any questions. Sorry I missed your post, JB. I've been too busy with the back-end settings to stay current on reading board posts.

elephantspike

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean
    Thanks Francois and lego but, unless IтАЩm going blind, I still cannot see a quotes button. Not in the top right hand corner of members posts or anywhere else.

Ah, but when I viewed another topic I saw the quotes button. When I returned to my own topic I saw the quotes button. But when I then went to create a post the quotes feature was no longer available. How very odd.

Elephantspike have you any explanation for this odd phenomena or technical advice to resolve the problem?
    Quote button on the post of the user you want to post opens a compose message window with that post already pre-quoted in its entirety. You can edit out all but the part you are quoting if you want.

If you just use the "post reply" button you can scroll the thread history at the bottom of the window and copy and paste what you want to quote into your message and use the BBCOde buttons (where the bold and italic buttons are) Use the "quote" button there to format it as a quote. It won't insert the person's name into the quote if you do it that way though. You have to make it
    instead of the default
    that you get from the BBCode buttons.

I don't think this behavior has changed. Just the buttons are displayed differently on the new style.

Liked

Hi elephantspike

Thanks for taking the time out to answer my query. I appreciate that you and Surfcrest are very busy at the moment and I should have taken this into account when making my previous comment.

But I still cannot quote as I did before. By that I mean by posting my comments and scrolling down to pick the relevant parts of members comments that I wanted to quote.

The only way, as I did above, was to quote the other memberтАЩs comments which would then open up a тАШpost replyтАЩ box. Then I had to edit out all the extraneous comments I didnтАЩt think was relevant. A very long winded way to go about it.

And what about when I want to quote another memberтАЩs comments, how would I do that?

Note: This was meant to be a PM but after I realised I'd posted in the main forum I could not delete it ... sorry!
    Remember: Coughs and sneezes spread diseases

elephantspike

Quote Originally Posted by jellybean
    The only way, as I did above, was to quote the other memberтАЩs comments which would then open up a тАШpost replyтАЩ box. Then I had to edit out all the extraneous comments I didnтАЩt think was relevant. A very long winded way to go about it.

Quote Originally Posted by elephantspike
    I don't think this behavior has changed. Just the buttons are displayed differently on the new style.
    Quote Originally Posted by jellybean
    But I still cannot quote as I did before. By that I mean by posting my comments and scrolling down to pick the relevant parts of members comments that I wanted to quote.
    Click the "Post Reply" button (Not the "quote" button on the user's post)- scroll down under the compose message pane:

[attachment=5:3rer7x6x]compose.png[/attachment:3rer7x6x]

there's a little scroll bar on the message history pane down below the compose message pane. Use that to locate and copy and paste desired quote:

Highlight your quote and cick the "quote BBcode button above the compose message pane:

[attachment=0:3rer7x6x]scrollpost.png[/attachment:3rer7x6x]

[attachment=4:3rer7x6x]bbcode.png[/attachment:3rer7x6x]

That button inserts the tags around your quote- that's what formats it as a quote. Then you can go down to the message history pane and find another quote:

[attachment=3:3rer7x6x]tags.png[/attachment:3rer7x6x]

[attachment=2:3rer7x6x]twoquotes.png[/attachment:3rer7x6x]

(Advanced/optional)- You can insert the user's name that you are quoting into the quote BBcode tags to format the quote with "suchandsuch said..."... but you have to get the syntax just right for that to work:

make
    Code:
    [quote]
    into

Code:
    [quote="jellybean"]
    [attachment=1:3rer7x6x]advanced.png[/attachment:3rer7x6x]

This functionality is built into phpBB. Was it different on the old board? I don't think it was. You are just used to seeing the buttons displayed on a different style. Maybe try changing your board style to ProSIlver in your user control panel > board preferences. That will be a more familiar layout.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Is there any way Jellybabys personal IT support can be put into a separate thread???

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by BrisbaneGuy
    Is there any way Jellybabys personal IT support can be put into a separate thread???
    Great one-liner BrisbaneGuy!

Yes, IтАЩll hold my hand up and freely admit that IтАЩm absolutely hopeless with technology! Think the 19th century would have suited me better!
    Remember: Coughs and sneezes spread diseases

Liked

I thought I knew how to include a quote in my replies but, after reading Spike's complicated procedure I know nothing.

Liked

Quotes function.

A quick note for those, who like me, may have missed it (as it was in a thread not specifically about quotes) and prefer the old quotes function where you can use the quote button on the original page of the post you wish to quote and insert into your reply.

Was just catching up with a few threads not had time to browse through and came upon the information and instructions Spike posted in the middle of Jellybean's "My first month back in Thailand " thread where he shows how you can change your board style to "Prosilver" in your board preferences which allows you to use the old style of quotes function if you prefer that quoting style.

elephantspike

Re: Quotes function.

Quote Originally Posted by newalaan2
    A quick note for those, who like me, may have missed it (as it was in a thread not specifically about quotes) and prefer the old quotes function where you can use the quote button on the original page of the post you wish to quote and insert into your reply.

Was just catching up with a few threads not had time to browse through and came upon the information and instructions Spike posted in the middle of Jellybean's "My first month back in Thailand " thread where he shows how you can change your board style to "Prosilver" in your board preferences which allows you to use the old style of quotes function if you prefer that quoting style.
    It's right here:

[attachment=0:zshanl1x]quote.png[/attachment:zshanl1x]

You don't have to switch to prosilver to use that- that is just if you want the buttons to look more like what you are used to. All the same buttons are on the Simplicity style they just look different.
    Attached Images Attached Images