Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Thailand scare

Liked

My Thailand scare

Ive been on this forum since early 2005,when I discovered what a fun place Thailand can be for a gay man.During my last trip in November I had lots of sex with a couple guys from the bars and a few freelancers.I found out that one of the freelancers had aids and i had sex with him on three ocasions.I had planned on getting any freelancer tested for hiv before we had sex but failed to and just let my guard down.Like some have said before,treat everyone like they may be positive.Anyway it was too late for a pep by the time i had found out about his status,and oral is very low risk so I tried to let it go and get on with my vacation. After just two days upon my return home I came down with the flu,lasted about three days.Well,needless to say I thought I had contracted hiv.I went to my doc and got tested ,results negative for hep c and hiv.I was ecstatic for about one day,then the reality set in that it takes up to six weeks for the body to develope antibodies to the virus. i convinced myself I had the virus,there was no doubt in my mind.So instead of this forum Ive spent most of my time on the aidsmed forum and have learned as much about the virus as anyone could possiblyneed to know.My whole life had changed,my once fullfilling life had taken a drastic new turn,and not for the better! Would i ever be able to visit Thailand again?Could I bring the medication i would eventually need into the country? So many questions,mostly with depressingly negative answers.Will my lifesavings be gone with endless trips to the doctors and frequent hospitol visits and endless bloodtest?Lose my employment and healthinsurance.Did you know that antiviral drugs in America cost 20 to 30 thousand a year? ok,I delayed the test till April,about six months after I thought i had been infected and asked my doc for the test so I could enter the system and start with the battery of test.I called sevearal days later and was told that they would call me within half an hour.The nurse called back and said my test was negative.Negative!!? i replied.are you sure? Yes its the reliable elisa test were sure. So now I realised how much stress I had put myself thru the past six months.But ive learned a lesson,maybe several.Im gonna think before I act impulsively.Has anybody else gone thru this?Ive read how many guys going to Thailand negative come flying back positive but never thought it could happen to me,well thankfully Im ok but its something many here should think about.Im much happier being back to this forum and spending less timeon the aidsmed forum.

Been there done that......... Now im ultra careful and have regular checks to ease any worries. My Thai friends do too.

Liked

unrealistic

I believe it is unrealistic to have any guy you have sex to be tested first. As you said, it takes awhile for the hiv antibody to show up. Besides, it is kind of imperialistic (for lack of a better world). Are you also willing to be tested so that you can show your companion that you are negative too?

So, the only two solutions so far. Ms. Bush's abstinance (hahaha), or that plastic bag called condom.

The chances from getting HIV from a few unprotected oral events is very, very, low, but I understand the reaction to getting the flu. I also agree it is totally unrealistic to test everyone if you are a butterfly and also meaningless if you are in a "stable" relationship, can you really trust ANYONE with your life. Just use condoms!!!!!

butterfly or not - everyone should have a regular test schedule as well as a healthy condom supply............. could you live with yourself if you had it and passed it on unknowingly? What scares me a bit is what will happen when they find a cure/vaccine....... Im sure other stds will rocket as people revert to bareback.

Liked
    I disagree that a test is meaningless.If I had this guy tested it would have shown positive.Im more than willing to be tested also,this is your life your playing with.If someone is not willing to be tested then forget sex.

Quote Originally Posted by rocket
    I disagree that a test is meaningless.If I had this guy tested it would have shown positive.Im more than willing to be tested also,this is your life your playing with.If someone is not willing to be tested then forget sex.
    That is fantasy land. There is no way in hell everyone is going to test everyone they pick up for a one off from a bar!
    All you have to do is assume EVERYONE is positive and act accordingly!
    So, lets see, you tested the boy and he is neg, so then what, you have unsafe sex! Ridiculous. He could be positive and not showing it yet. So, you are in a long term relationship in "love" and tests neg, so then what, unsafe sex? He or you could be a liar and sleeping around. Yes, of course, get tested, but also assume everyone is pos, and if you are not, much less chance you will be.

Liked
    Are you talking about useing a condom for oral sex?,not many people use them for that purpose.I use condoms if I top,I dont bottom.I meant getting anyone not working in a go go bar tested,the ones in the bar are supposedly tested,though i dont trust it.It is unrealistic to get every off from a go go bar tested i agree.

Are you talking about useing a condom for oral sex?,not many people use them for that purpose.I use condoms if I top,I dont bottom.I meant getting anyone not working in a go go bar tested,the ones in the bar are supposedly tested,though i dont trust it.It is unrealistic to get every off from a go go bar tested i agree.
    Yes, you really should use condoms for oral sex with prostitutes. I know most people don't, but it is recommended by the CDC. And a heck of a lot more REAL LIFE PRACTICAL than doing an HIV test on every pickup! That said, risk from oral sex where he sucks you is very, very low, and where you suck him very low, so you plays the game and you takes your chances. UP TO YOU!

You absolutely should not trust that bars are testing the boys! Absurd to trust that. And besides HIV, from unprotected oral sex, there is a nasty list of other horrible diseases you could get. Yes, there is a very dark side to all this fun. Face it or not, it is there.

I recommend the banana flavoured ones. Or the lemons.

Liked
    Have you thought what to do if the guy was tested and turned positive? I usually don't flame like this. "Sorry Chai, can't have sex with you. You are positive." "Off you go." "Bye, take care of your buffalo when you can."

Or are you going to feign a headache, be quiet, and say sorry no sex. Here is a small tip.

See what I am saying? What will be your moral obligation besides the issue about protecting yourself?