Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: International Driving Licence

Liked

International Driving Licence

There is a post on GB about motorcycle hire.
    This was my experience.

My IDL did not cover me to ride a motorbike and when I was pulled over by the police I was told this. Something of an unpleasant surprise. Despite ample opportunity I did not pay him but instead took the ticket and paid it the next day at Na Jomtien police station. Where incidentally they now have a western gentleman who offers assistance (anything confiscated ect).
    When I was stopped again I showed the officer the receipt and he just waved me on.
    So, is it likely that only one fine is payable for this even if you get stopped again?

Liked

Re: International Driving Licence

Why does anyone who does not posses a motorcycle license in their home country think they are entitled to legally drive a motorbike in Thailand even if they have an International Drivers License. To drive a motorbike without having being licensed or having driver training is a risky business in more ways than one.

Liked

francois: Like the majority of people I believed I was entitled to ride a motorbike on an IDL. I have been stopped many times before and never had a problem.

Liked

Arsenal, I do understand to a degree; as a student at the university I rode a motorbike without having a motorcy license but in my home country and that was a 100 years ago when no questions were asked. Yes, young and dumb!

But seriously, did you have experience on a motorcycle or just decide to ride one anyway? I know that is the norm but maybe not so smart especially in a foreign country. Your experience should be a warning to others, as you intended.

My guess is that people come to Thailand and rent both cars and motorbikes without even having an International Drivers License.

Liked

francois: Yes, I had a couple of motorbikes when I was younger. And fines or not, I shall hire one again next time I'm in Thailand. The enormous fun outweighs the inconvenience if the police stop you.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal
    francois: The enormous fun outweighs the inconvenience if the police stop you.
    For some it is fun, for others (like me) fear even though a licensed rider.

Liked

An IDL can only be used for the first 90 days of your stay in Thailand.

An IDL can be used for motorbikes if the IDL says it includes motorbikes (usually a check mark).

Driving a car or bike without a Thai license or a totally valid IDL means you have no insurance coverage of any kind. Maximum liability if you cause an accident is one million baht. If you have travel insurance for personal injury, it will be voided.

My IDL states that it is valid for one year.

Liked

Captain; I believe the ID is good for one year from date of issue, however, once you enter Thailand the license is good only for 90 days from date of entry. Same as a can of beans with an expiration date of 1 year; once you open the can you have a limited time to eat the beans.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

So for clarity is an IDL valid then for 90 days EACH time you enter the country i.e if you're there for a while and then do a visa run out of the Kingdom for a day or two when you re-enter Thailand is that you good to go for another 90 days from that re entry date or is it just a one time 90 day useage period in Thailand per one year licence ?