Bangkok Post - Postbag

"Admirable resilience in the face of calamity. I have just returned from viewing the flood/mudslide damage in the Uttaradit area, specifically Laplae. My Australian friend and I travelled there on motorcycles.

The devastation and loss of human property is hard to describe. I have seen the damage caused by the floods in both Chiang Mai and Pai, but this far exceeds those events in scope and area. As we rode our motorcycles through the area and photographed the astonishing damage, we were even more astounded by the Thai people. With all their loss and suffering they still waved and shouted greetings to us. There was no fear of looting but instead neighbour was helping neighbour and friend helping friend.

Instead of the region being cordoned off, line after line of cars and trucks entered the area. Not just gawking, but delivering food, water, and clothes from their personal vehicles. As we left, even more groups of people, four-wheel drive clubs, and individuals were seen for many kilometres entering the area to deliver their goods and offer their services.

Finally, two elderly Thai ladies, standing ankle deep in mud among their ruined belongings, were bowing and saying thank you and sawasdee to the line of departing vehicles. I wished we could do more.
The many complaints in these columns seem trivial when compared to what these people are experiencing. The strength and harmony of the Thai people is truly amazing.

DAVID EARLY - Chiang Mai"

"Princess springs big surprise, Bangkok Post, SAROT MEKSOPHAWANNAKUL

Uttaradit _ Villagers and local officials in flood-devastated Laplae district of this northern province were taken by surprise when they heard Her Royal Highness Princess Soamsawali express her discontent over superficial flood relief operations being discussed by officials over walkie-talkies. The princess on Monday visited tambon Mae Poon, one of the hardest-hit areas, where many people were killed in the May 23 flood disaster.

As she was cooking lunch for displaced villagers at a temple, the princess overheard officials discussing over their walkie-talkies about cancelling her trip to a remote Maharaj village, which was flattened by the flood. She immediately asked for a radio transmitter from a nearby official and, speaking into it, she said: ''Who told you to cancel the trip? I will go there to help the villagers no matter how tough the road is, even if I have to walk.'' The princess also told the officials not to ''make up'' the flood-ravaged scenes to please her.

''I want to see the real problems. Stop doing the cosmetic jobs on flood relief. And make sure that the donations go to needy villagers,'' she said.

Hundreds of villagers gathering at the temple roared with delight as they heard the princess' determination to help them. The princess finally visited the village as planned."

Yesterday in Carrefour Pattaya I saw huge containers nearly full of clothing ready to go off to help the victims.